• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If the slide is forced back when the pistol is placed into the holster, it either is the wrong holster, or it is not properly broken in.
    Until the pistol goes in and out normally, I would not use it for carry.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    My custom leather pocket holster for my glock 36 would do that. I let it sit in the holster empty for a few weeks while pulling it out and putting it back in 100 times before setting it back down in the safe for another week. Now it doesn't push on my slide.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My custom leather pocket holster for my glock 36 would do that. I let it sit in the holster empty for a few weeks while pulling it out and putting it back in 100 times before setting it back down in the safe for another week. Now it doesn't push on my slide.
    Something I always wanted to try, G.Gordon Liddy's holster fitting process:
    Soak leather holster in water overnight. Meanwhile, thoroughly coat the host gun in Vaseline, then warp tightly with clear plastic wrap. Place gun snugly into holster and leave hanging until holster is dry. Remove pistol and clean all Vaseline off. Place gun in holster.

Test for fit of holster: Holding the pistol by the grip, the holster should fall away from the pistol with a gentle flick of a finger upon the holster.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    If the slide is forced back when the pistol is placed into the holster, it either is the wrong holster, or it is not properly broken in.
    Until the pistol goes in and out normally, I would not use it for carry.
    If its Kydex the retention screws are too tight, either way so many things can go wrong too far OOB you could double feed, jam up the round that is already in the chamber, have an empty chamber, or as someone else has said end up with debris in it or even get clothing stuck in it that will cause an issue on draw.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Soak leather holster in water overnight. Meanwhile, thoroughly coat the host gun in Vaseline, then warp tightly with clear plastic wrap. Place gun snugly into holster and leave hanging until holster is dry. Remove pistol and clean all Vaseline off. Place gun in holster.

Test for fit of holster: Holding the pistol by the grip, the holster should fall away from the pistol with a gentle flick of a finger upon the holster.
    Sounds like that would work but thank god I have another carry gun. I patiently waited for it to shape without the vaseline clean up LoL

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sounds like that would work but thank god I have another carry gun. I patiently waited for it to shape without the vaseline clean up LoL
    Originally, it as done with a S&W .357. Nowadays, it could easily be done with a blue gun for many models. If attempted by anyone, I still recommend the plastic wrap though. Same as if you were glass bedding a rifle action, you'd want a minimal 'gap' around the gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

With all respect to G Man , that method was 100 yrs old and widespread , before he learned it .

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Just pray you have no ND while holstering with you thumb on the back plate(and I do the same thing). There goes your thumb!

Slightly more concerned about the projectile thingy going the other way...

Thumb on backplate is an intentional technique with contact shots to prevent out of battery and also keep mechanism closed so gore and stuff doesn't get in gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thumb on backplate is an intentional technique with contact shots to prevent out of battery and also keep mechanism closed so gore and stuff doesn't get in gun.

I'll bite for any vaguely credible instruction or recommendation for this ?

Pull back muzzle of semiauto pistol an inch ot two , to avoid the worst of backsplatter from internal muzzle blast - Check

Use Revolver if contact shots reasonably anticipated . Heck , make it a feature , to deliberately jam muzzle hard into BG t0 maximize damage to BG with muzzle gas - Check & Check

I put ( thumb on back of slide ) into context as a holstering technique , in that the unlikely occurrence of an AD upon holstering , it probably wouldn't Remove the thumb .

But Deliberately as a Plan A ? I'll double check my expert source today , but off the top of my head severe sprains , lacerations , possible broken bones or tendon injury .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With all respect to G Man , that method was 100 yrs old and widespread , before he learned it .
    Yes. I didn't mean to imply he thought it up. He was instructed in that method when he was a fresh, young FBI rookie by the experience agents.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I'll bite for any vaguely credible instruction or recommendation for this ?

Pull back muzzle of semiauto pistol an inch ot two , to avoid the worst of backsplatter from internal muzzle blast - Check

Use Revolver if contact shots reasonably anticipated . Heck , make it a feature , to deliberately jam muzzle hard into BG t0 maximize damage to BG with muzzle gas - Check & Check

I put ( thumb on back of slide ) into context as a holstering technique , in that the unlikely occurrence of an AD upon holstering , it probably wouldn't Remove the thumb .

But Deliberately as a Plan A ? I'll double check my expert source today , but off the top of my head severe sprains , lacerations , possible broken bones or tendon injury .

Pat Rogers was teaching the thumb technique in EAG tactical classes.

Mas Ayoob has also discussed it. Ayoob likes the 1911 pattern since the safety keeps the slide in battery, avoiding all the thumb stuff. All you have to do is press and hold the trigger first, them when ready to fire the contact shot you hit the safety of and the shot breaks.

Easiest fix is just have a WML that extends past the barrel. Like putting a tlr7 sub on a 43x or a tlr1 on a 19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom