• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Does anyone use this item?? The 31 db NRR model is ~ $25. No batteries.
    Please provide your comments and thoughts if you use these. Thanks!

Attachments

• Otis Ear Shield.PNG
      Otis Ear Shield.PNG
      8.4 KB · Views: 381

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You could probably get something in the way of OSHA/Safety hearing protectors at Wal-Mart, HD, or Lowe's for a 3rd of that price.

ear.jpg

Winebike

May 11, 2009
    The Otis Ear Shields don't look like they would be comfortable to me. The Walmart ones look like a better choice since they look more adjustable. Personally, I like Howard Leight MAX-1 Foam Ear plugs Uncorded NRR33. I use over the ear hearing protection in addition to foam ear plugs when shooting indoors and also outdoors around loud rifles. You really need both to protect your ears. For $50, you can get some corded, custom molded ear plugs made at a gun show.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I read a review of these in the latest issue of "Shooting Times" which was positive. However, MOST reviews of products in gun mags tend to be positive, so that's not much of an indicator.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I actually got a TON of the Surefire Sonic Defenders dirt cheap back at the 2008 SHOT show and still have around 40 pairs left. I love them and I use them every range trip and thankfully I have all the extras because I lose earpros like crazy.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You kneed two seperate parts tohether, then gently press half of the mix into each ear, let it harden for 10 mins,... done.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Here's what mine look like at almost a year old. That's with at least once a weeks use, sometimes 3 times a week, today I'll have them in for 6 hours....

Won't use anything else except disposables in a pinch.

32fb47cefe40b7c5d06a5fdff9aa11ea.jpg

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    It comes as little containers of what looks like a very soft putty.

That shape you see is my stupid ear.

The working time is probably full 3 minutes or so once you've combined parts, plenty of time. I get it mixed, the split in half (as best I can), then worked into my ears, then I wet my finger and do my best to smooth the outside so there are no fingerprints or lumps.

Pretty simple.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I may need to try the custom thing again, I tried a kit like that years ago and it turned out poorly. Went in the trash, not sure if it was the same company or not though, plus it was many years ago.

I do like the Surefires.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I know a female that wears these, look uncomfortable to me.

You want the last set of ear plugs you'll ever need? Get these:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WT2GBXCEPMG8DYCXHFY

Way (way) better than disposables. You'll be able to hear yourself THINK we these fuggin things on. I've worn these for ~4 years now, love em, don't leave home without em.

Buy two kits.

That looks really cool. I did have a pair of $70 custom pligs that never worked right. At $10 I will give it another try.

Right now, Skull Screws are my faavorite in ear hearing protection. I've never had one slip out of my ear.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Skull-Screws-Uncorded-3M/dp/B015RYM6L4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1448198854&sr=8-5&keywords=3m+skull+screws

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I like the Surefire sonic defenders, always double up for the indoor range, but after a couple of years of intermittant use they are getting worn. The standard Howard Leights are great disposables as well. Would like to pick up some electronic muffs for over the ear use as well.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I had Debbie make me a pair of custom earplugs at the Silverado show in Frederick ($50). She is also at Chantilly ($60).

I got them with a lanyard in skin color.

She was very gentle and really seemed to know what she was doing.

They are very comfortable and cane with a free case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom