osprey scope failure (A.K.A. whats a good replacement for less then $400?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soco

May 21, 2012
    Greetings all:

I have a dpms 308. It came with an osprey 10-24 by 50 tactical scope. I got the gun secondhand so I had no say in this. Noticed recently that the scope has "bent", i sh!t you not. where the magnification ring joins the body tube has slipped somehow. This thing leads a very sheltered life and I don't recall having any problems with it last range day, it may have happened sitting in its pelican case (what a hardcore piece of equipement!)

So, I emailed osprey and they were slightly roundabout, claimed that the scopes have a lifetime warranty but I needed a reciept and a place of purchase. Then when I said it came secondhand they claimed if it was bent its not covered. I kinda figured they wouldnt cover it either way.

So here are a few pictures

50odx5.jpg

mbrakn.jpg

11rd7c0.jpg

i dont know if it shows but the eyepiece is cocked down towards the receiver. So im guessing this one is done, I know enough about optics to know how precise they are and i dont think sticking this one in a vise and manhandling it will solve much.

I've grown accustomed to the 10-40 power, but am also an underpaid peon and cannot afford to bankrupt myself. are there any decent optics for 3-4 hundred? the bariska 10-40 and the sightmark 10-40 seem appropriately priced, are they any good? I don't really feel like buying another osprey after this, feels like rewarding a bad child for misbehaving...

any input is appreciated!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    looks like it got dropped...seriously...was it bent before and you just now noticed it? also is it shooting straight?
    Centerpoint is a good cheap rifle scope...walmart sells them for around $70 I mounted it on my .223 and my .308 dpms...no problems with it and they have red/green illuminated cross hairs.

soco

May 21, 2012
    I know it does! But I didn't notice anything unusual with it. Literally noticed it a week ago, last time i went shooting with it was a month ago. sigh.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I know it does! But I didn't notice anything unusual with it. Literally noticed it a week ago, last time i went shooting with it was a month ago. sigh.

no one else has access to it? or maybe it was that way when you bought it you just didnt notice it...no way it would get that way in a case...unless you got abducted by aliens....lol

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    If you can go up in price, you can get the Midway Exclusive Vortex Viper HS 5-15x Mil/Mil scope. It's a steal at $499.00 and would releive you from wondering if you should have gone with a better scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...us-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

If you can't spring for the extra $99.00, try the Primary Arms 4-14x FFP Mil Dot scope. It's been getting some decent reviews for it's price point.

-Jim

soco

May 21, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Do you think 15x is really up to the challenge of a 308? I always figured that more for smaller calibers (then again, I have been teaching myself as I go never had any authorities on firearms in my life growing up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom