• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Did a search but, did not see where this latest development has yet been posted.

Oregon Judge Halts Voter-Approved High-Capacity Magazine Ban:

Now until Feb 8 for Oregonians to stock up.

<snip>
    An Oregon judge handed guns rights advocates a victory Thursday and placed a new, voter-approved ban on high-capacity magazines that was intended to curtail mass shootings on hold until questions about its constitutionality can be decided.

Harney County Judge Robert Raschio released the written ruling after a lengthy court hearing earlier this week in which attorneys for gun rights groups sought a preliminary injunction to stop the narrowly passed ban on magazines of more than 10 rounds.

That the large capacity magazine bans promote public safety is mere speculation,” Raschio wrote. “The court cannot sustain restraint on a constitutional right on mere speculation that the restriction could promote public safety.
    <End snip>

Attachments

• 03EA6A85-F6BE-435C-846C-56A75307FA21.jpeg
      03EA6A85-F6BE-435C-846C-56A75307FA21.jpeg
      27.9 KB · Views: 54

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Should've put a stop to the entirety of that abomination of a law, but this is a good (hopefully) permanent start.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    The Final Judgement in the Court was just issued, stopping the Voter Bill that itself was narrowly passed. Good news.
    Funny. The article mentions Bruen (by reference) but said the Judge rules the law violates the Oregon Constitution.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Funny. The article mentions Bruen (by reference) but said the Judge rules the law violates the Oregon Constitution.
    There were 2 lawsuits apparently with the Federal judge ruling with the state based upon the 2A but the state judge ruling against the state based on the state's RKBA provision and not the 2A.
    The 2A is seen as the floor and not the ceiling.

Although I couldn't find the actual opinion for this case, it sounds like the judge called things as he should and made the state put forth evidence that this law would be effective, and from the sound of it it was speculation like always.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Anything the Antis can fetishize as " scary". And I'm not saying that sarcastically or to be snarky. Tjey really do fetishize inanimate objects as icons for their idea of what constitites evil. It's sick.
    I hear you, but it’s like asking a Democrat what a woman is they can’t define that or what a high capacity magazine is.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    What is an high capacity magazine?
    The definition has evolved over time:

Any magazine that holds more than 30 rounds of ammunition.
    Any magazine that holds more than 20 rounds of ammunition.
    Any magazine that holds more than 15 rounds of ammunition.
    Any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition.
    Any magazine that holds more than 7 rounds of ammunition. (For a while, in NY.)
    Any magazine that holds ammunition. (Their ultimate goal.)

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    The definition has evolved over time:

Any magazine that holds more than 30 rounds of ammunition.
    Any magazine that holds more than 20 rounds of ammunition.
    Any magazine that holds more than 15 rounds of ammunition.
    Any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition.
    Any magazine that holds more than 7 rounds of ammunition. (For a while, in NY.)
    Any magazine that holds ammunition. (Their ultimate goal.)
    Ah! So science doesn’t apply.

nosbocaj

Oct 11, 2021
    As a current OR resident and voter, I'm so glad to see this travesty halted. To say it was poorly written is an understatement. The fact that it was so close goes to show that even for a liberal state, tons of liberals had issues with it. The problem, in large part, came down to the wording of the ballot. If I remember correctly, it was worded something like "a yes vote is for improved gun control, a no vote is for no change". That's it. If you're an uninformed voter (which a lot are), you see that, think it's a good thing and vote yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom