Options for Gun Safe Delivery and Install?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Any in the area? If not in the area, any that will do it regardless of where they are? What kind of cost am I looking at?

All my guns were lost in a boating accident, but I'd like to maybe get some in the future and have a safe big enough for at least 10-12 long guns + pistols.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Any in the area? If not in the area, any that will do it regardless of where they are? What kind of cost am I looking at?

All my guns were lost in a boating accident, but I'd like to maybe get some in the future and have a safe big enough for at least 10-12 long guns + pistols.

If you want a safe to house 10-12 long guns and pistols purchase one now that will hold 36.

You can thank me later. LOL

Gun4Fun

Jan 22, 2023
    Washington DC

Do you know what brand you want? I would check their website for local dealers. The only safe I own is an American Security BF rated safe and I bought it and had it installed by a dealer in silver spring.

But it will largely depend on what you want. American Security, StackOn, Liberty Safe ect. Some options are more premium, some cost more or less, some have customizable interiors. Pick the safe first then we will be better able to answer this question.

and just note some super budget options like you will find at Costco and such may require you to install it yourself or have a handyman do it.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Agree with the above statements on buying larger than you think you need. Over time (and, not as far out as you may think), as your collection grows or your needs change, you may have to purchase and install another one.

Also, many companies arrive at their numbers using slick "traditional-style" rifles (think Remington 700 or 870, Henry/Marlin levergun, small .22, and so on) So, if you have scopes, pistol grips, lights, rail attachments, etc, the safe's actual capacity may well be less than the stated capacity. So, keep that in mind, also.

Finally, one other item to keep in mind, depending on the route you choose, is that even if you pay for delivery services, "delivery" often means "drop at the curb, or threshold."

So, you may still need to move the safe from its drop-off point to its final resting place. (Or, pay someone else to do that for you)

Anyway, with regards to specific companies, I haven't used any local ones. (I picked up and installed on my own) So, I can't make any recommendations for installation based on personal experience.

However, depending on your requirements, and capabilities, you may want to look into Zanotti Armor. They offer systems that are shipped in pieces, and you assemble yourself. So, they're more manageable for self installation and relocation.

No matter how you go, good luck!

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have two of these because the first one got filled up, and a wooden gun cabinet for the overflow from the second one. Actually I may need a third one soon. It's good enough for what I need and one or two guys can move it with a dolly. The door comes of to make it easier to move as well. It also will not break the bank and can be moved easily enough if you move. Supposedly if you have an angle grinder you can just cut a hole in the side defeating the door bolts, but I think I'd wake up if someone tried that.

msink

Jun 18, 2020
    I utilized a dealer through the Liberty Safe website and had my safe delivered and placed into my home ($315 for in home delivery). That dealer has since been shut down, though, but there are other Maryland or Northern VA dealers that you should be able to order through and set up delivery.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I just looked through old email. Had a locksmith company out of Pasadena move it from the garage to the basement. I can’t remember where I got their referral from. The company looks like they are no longer in business.

The cost was $375.00 in 2014…

They had me take a bunch of pictures and measurements and email them the info.

They did a decent job. No damage and nobody died but I think if I were to do it again, I’d buy a safe from a local place where that’s all they do. Sell and deliver safes.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Expect it to cost waaaaay more than you think it should. Every quote I've ever seen from one of these places has been absurd. I'm sure I'll pay it eventually, but, man, it sucks.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You need to make new friends. When my son wanted to move his new safe in he invited 2 friends over. Both are between 6'4"-6'6" and in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. They took the door off and told my son to get out of the way

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You need to make new friends. When my son wanted to move his new safe in he invited 2 friends over. Both are between 6'4"-6'6" and in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. They took the door off and told my son to get out of the way
    Everybody's your friend until they get seriously injured. Then the relationship will change pretty fast, and not in a good way.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Zanotti Armor or Snap Safes

Easy to move sections and then assemble just in about any room, closet, void or right size cubby hole where you can’t maneuver a conventional safe into that spot.

A little extra $$ but the lower moving costs and convenience will pay for the initial costs

Jul 1, 2012
    Zanotti Armor or Snap Safes

Easy to move sections and then assemble just in about any room, closet, void or right size cubby hole where you can’t maneuver a conventional safe into that spot.

A little extra $$ but the lower moving costs and convenience will pay for the initial costs
    "Easy" is relative LOL. Depending on the size, most of the panels on a Zanotti are 80# to 150# and are awkward to handle. The small size safe may be a lot easier, but you'll fill that up way too quick. Go with a 6' (72") vice the 5' regardless. Shipping cost was around $400 COD, the driver put it in the garage for me with a powered pallet jack. Then the fun began, getting it to the opposite end of the house piece by piece by myself. Had to use an engine hoist to put the top panel in place and to hang the door. A lot of work but in the end it came out nice.

Carolina Safes in Waldorf has a great reputation and often has high-quality used safes in stock, in addition to doing delivery installations.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yeah, some prices were insane. Hoping this is easy enough for curbside pick-up and to move around with a hand truck.

*****Yea that one is less than 400 lbs I think so should be manageable with a couple of strong friends, and perhaps a hand truck or two.
    A lot also depends on where the final resting spot for the safe will be. Stairs with corners and turns can be an absolute nightmare, going up or down. Sometimes the best thing is to hire a pro if there are more than a couple of stairs - easy to end up a pancake if things go wrong.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you want a safe to house 10-12 long guns and pistols purchase one now that will hold 36.

You can thank me later. LOL

Two point five different reasons :

1. 10 will grow to 20 plus quicker than you realize

2. " 10 " or " 36 " or whatever is advertising talk . Assumes best case scenarios of conventional stocks , and iron/ bead stocks . Pistol grip stocks , and optics take up room .

3. Much over half " rated capacity " , you'll have to take most of them out to get to/ put back one from the back row

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    With a dolly and a little oomf, assuming you're in decent health, you can easily move a 400# safe and a 600# is a little struggle but doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom