• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    All this talk of this p223 is making me consider one. All I've ever used on my ar has been non magnified optics.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Doing some more research Nikon has 2 almost identical mounts for the P-223. The standard one and the one with the 20MOA built in to account for ballistics up to 600 yards. I probably won't be shooting over 100 yards maybe 200 so I went with the standard mounts which were on sale at Cabela's for $38.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    As you point out, the tilted mounts are special purpose for long range, to compensate for drop. The vast majority of shooters should go with a level mount.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Eotech 552 and Vortex 3x magnifier.

Eotech is good for eyes open target acquisition. Vortex magnifier flips to the 'wrong' side when not in use. (don't know why they did it that way...)

Rob.

canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    Eotech 512, 1x optic & wanted AA batteries. Pick your flavor Eotech and be happy. Awesome with both eyes open, the sight just floats in mid air on your target. The laser battery cover is an awesome option as well. Expensive and worth it.

For magnification on my AR and AKs the Burris AR series are great. The reticle is illuminated however when it is off or should your batteries die you can still see the black reticle and use the scope.. Drop indicators go out to 600 yards in 100 yard increments. There are 4 models, 5x, 3x, 1x and CQB both eyes open. I have not used the CQB one, but the 5,3, and 1x are very nice. The fixed magnification yields very crisp clear views edge to edge.

I also own scopes from Sightron (first focal plane) on the .308 and Leupold Mark 4 illuminated 3.5x10x on my ACR

In the end you will need to look through these to decide which is best for you. Ergonomics, personal preference, how well your eye sight is and especially the way the optic mounts on the AR allowing proper fit for you when sighting a target.

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    what optic do you run?
    what are the pros and cons to you?
    price?
    looking for a red dot and magnified optic
    edited thanks erwos knew I was missing something they will be going on a 14.5 with pinned FH and a 16 inch gun both in 5.56
    Eotech Replica... its as good as the real one. 20x cheaper...:D

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I have eotech 512. on a 16" barreled AR.
    price $300-$400 range. I had a mail in rebate.
    pros. I like the circle with the dot. easier and faster to line up quick shots
    cons. with me wearing glasses the dot/circle appears grainy.

I went with the 512 mostly because of price. it was a good optic for the price.

I will not buy any magnification to go with the 512. I would get a 1x-4x or 1x-6x before I get a magnifier.

Have same setup but have magnifier. Not knocking magnifier but already pulled it off.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I currently run an XPS2 with a 3x magnifier. I looked through a friend's ACOG BAC the other day and was shocked at how clear it was. I think one of those is in my future, I dig the no muss no fuss aspect of them!

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    I run an eotech 553 on the carbine and an aimpoint comp m2 on the mk18 pistol. Best of both worlds red dot wise. Each is great as a point and shoot reference, and the also have the ability to magnify as well. Battery uniformity among the optics and my lights is a big plus. Easy to carry spares too. The m2 is hard to find nowadays but I highly reccomend both

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Hi Guys

I had an Eotech EXPS3 with the G33 magnifier installed on my AR15 and I really liked this combo for a while. But I soon found out that the optics would not retain zero and it got to the point where I was no longer able to adjust the elevation. So I've returned it to the manufacturer for a full refund. Ordinarily I would assume that the particular unit I had was defective and get a similar set-up because I liked it, but because of the Eotech lawsuit settlement with the US Military, I'm not sure if this is a smart move now. So I am looking for advice on what type of optic to get for my AR15. Most of my shooting will be 100 yards at best and during the day. I really like the red-dot sight with magnifier combo because my eyes are not what they were when I was in my 20's! I'm thinking Trijicon or AimPoint but would be willing to consider others as well. I have a Leopold scope for my AR10 that I like very much, but I'm not keen to get a scope for my AR15. I don't know how good Leopold red-dots are compared to the others that I have mentioned. Any advice/suggestions you can give me would be very helpful. Thanks.

Cal68

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I just added one of these for my 300Blk...

Attachments

• 4993103_01_primary_arms_1_6x_scope_with_a_640.jpg
      4993103_01_primary_arms_1_6x_scope_with_a_640.jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 290
    • maxresdefault.jpg
      maxresdefault.jpg
      20.4 KB · Views: 284

Doug33w

Aug 22, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I'm running an Eotech 512 with a vortex 3x magnifier one one rifle & a Vortex Viper 3.5-10x in a one piece Vortex mount on my other Ar. Can't go wrong with Vortex products! Their warranty is awesome and they also offer a substantial military discount.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have 1 Vortex Sparc, 2 Vortex Strikefire's, 1 Bushnell 1X4 PCL throw down with a Burris Fast Fire 3 on top. Like them all and got them all at great sale prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom