• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billy Bones

Flagoneer
    Mar 27, 2012
    Grasonville, Md
    Not sure if this should go in the rifles section but...

I have a question regarding my optic. I purchased a Weaver Classic V-series 6-24x42 scope. I have it mounted on a Remington 700 7mmRemMag rifle. I'm using a 20moa base and Burris Xtreme Tactical rings (Medium size).

When trying to sight in the scope, the rifle continues to shoot very high even with the optic cranked as far 'down' as the reticle can go. At 200 yards, with the reticle placed at Bulls-eye, the rifle continues to shoot at approximately 6-7" high of the target.

Is this an issue with the mount, as the rings should be 'low' or 'super-low'? Or is there some adjustment issue I am not aware of?

Tia. :D

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    That scope may not have enough internal adjustment for the angled base. Height of the rings do not matter, if the scope is not making contacting the rifle anywhere else but the rings and you are getting a proper cheek weld.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    That scope may not have enough internal adjustment for the angled base.
    Jerry is probably right and this is quite likely the problem.

Specifications at the Weaver site state the range of adjustment at 100 yards is 27 inches. This is the TOTAL adjustment range, which must be split 50% Up/50% Down. Thus means you only have 27"/2= 13.5" of Down motion available.

Your 20 MOA base gives you a head start on elevation at a rate of 20 moa x 1.047"@100 yards = 20.94".

In order to zero at 100 yards, you would have had to dial down 20.94", but you only have 13.5" available, *IF* everything else is somehow straight and square.

20.94" - 13.5" = 7.4"

The OP suggests he is 6-7" high at 100 yards, which makes perfect sense.

Either a new scope with greater internal adjustment is required, or a flat base.

A flat base will return you to an approximate 100 yard zero, but it looks like we will use up about 1-1/2" (scope height over bore approximation) PLUS 2.0" (raw drop between the muzzle and target).

We seem to have an inch or two between our end of travel and impact point, so (depending on the new base) you may be able to dial up to about 14-15.5 from zero. With a 7mm Mag and an average load, this will probably get you to about 550 yards.
    Height of the rings do not matter....
    Correct.
    ...if the scope is not making contacting the rifle anywhere else but the rings...
    Were it not for the scope specs, this would have been my own first suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom