• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    Hi Guys,
    I recently picked up my new PTR 91 GI and have done some work to it. I installed new front stock, butt stock, heavy recoil buffer, and bipod. I am going to pick up the MFI low profile mount as soon as it comes back in stock at hkparts.net: http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Scope-Mount-For-HK91-G3-PTR-91-MFI-Low-Profile-118p2805.htm and I need a scope for this gun. I will be shooting anywhere from 100 yards at the indoor NRA range to 250-300 yards at my parents farm. What scope would be recommended for this gun? I know this is not a sub moa gun so I feel silly throwing an $1,000 scope on it but I only want to buy a scope once so I would rather not buy several cheap ones if a high end one will last.

I am a newb when it comes to optics so sorry if this is a dumb question: I have a few AR builds I am working on (an SBR and a 16" target gun) and I would like to have one high-end scope I could use on several guns. Is this doable or would the PTR scope be too much for an AR or vice versa? Would I drive myself insane trying to zero the scope in after putting it on a different gun?

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    Before:
    7cfbaed4-7adf-40a8-bee9-7b4428538ef1_zps102833ef.jpg

After:
    80cf5958-337f-4319-8dfd-92cf3729a729_zps995680d9.jpg

photobucket-48488-1361553625054_zps5a3efb08.jpg

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The Hk issue scope using a claw mount that is what I would go with, they used to be a super bargain but have gone up some as they dried up. Still a good deal on a quality optic and you don't have to spend more money for the mount.

Like this one:
    http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Hens...Factory-Claw-Mount-Used-Exc-Shape-118p878.htm

Just a sample link, can't speak to that site.

There are 2 versions of the scopes out there so make sure you're comparing the same ones. Also, there used to be illuminators for the scopes on ebay for about $20, nice option.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I have a claw mount in my safe but I heard so many people complain about the height of the mount that I decided to go with the low profile mount. Perhaps I will give that claw mount a chance...

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    The German Hensoldt Fero Z24 surplus scope is an excellent choice for the PTR91, if you can find one. Hensoldt is Zeiss's military optic subsidiary, and their quality is definitely high-end. I got mine several years ago for around $300, but they are going for more than $500 each now. RobertRTG.com has them occasionally, as well as the reticle illuminator. He also sells a Cherokee cheek weld pad that clips on to the G3 fixed stock which works great to give you the extra height for a good cheek weld.

http://www.mg-42.net/G3_hensoldt.htm

John Go

Dec 22, 2010
    FredCo
    Spend 50 bucks more and get a rail welded on by IGF, and maybe a paddle magazine release too, if you have the dough. If you aren't going past 300 yards, put a Trijicon ACOG like the TA33 on there. Pricy, but Bombproof.

That is what I'm saving my pennies for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom