• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    This may apply to C&R handguns, or it may not. I'm posting it here because I value the group's knowledge and opinions.

My wife is learning to shoot handguns, and is doing very well for the short time that she's been shooting. I've got plenty of C&R stuff in larger calibers for her to shoot, but I'd like to be able to get something that she can shoot ... a lot ... for reasonable operating costs. That basically means a .22lr of some sort.

Here's what I think she needs. What would you recommend that fills this bill, whether C&R or otherwise (prefer C&R)?

- .22lr
    - probably semi auto, but can be convinced otherwise
    - sights that can be adjusted without having a gunsmith shop on-site.
    - reasonably long barrel, for accuracy
    - doesn't have to be light, but probably best not to weigh a ton, either
    - reasonably affordable

In my most recent relationships with firearms, it's always been to buy what looks interesting, then see how it shoots ... accurate or not. Now I need to take the opposite approach and find something that will be accurate, regardless of how interesting it seems to be at first.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    S&W 41

Finding one that's C&R while possible will be tough though.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Consider this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=312071165

Walther quality, remarkabnly underpriced for buy it now. Even has the removale barrel weight, and you can probably get a suppressor threaded to fit the already-threaded barrel, if that turns you on.

If I wasn't tapped out, I'd buy it myself, even though I already have one. And it's C&R, I believe. It's going cheap because of the "engraving."

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Consider this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=312071165

Walther quality, remarkabnly underpriced for buy it now. Even has the removale barrel weight, and you can probably get a suppressor threaded to fit the already-threaded barrel, if that turns you on.

If I wasn't tapped out, I'd buy it myself, even though I already have one. And it's C&R, I believe. It's going cheap because of the "engraving."

That's an interesting firearm. I wonder how hard it would be to find replacement grips for it?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Simple:

http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-w68.html

These folks make replacements for nearly anything. Black is cheap; colors cost more.

Two points: my PP Sport has different grips entirely, and a magazine extension that mimics the grip shape. So there's several ways to skin this cat.

Second point: there's a sight that is supposed to fit on the end of the barrel when you remove the barrel weight, which incorporates its own sight; I didn't see it in the ad. A replacement is probably available without too much trouble if it is indeed missing.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Looks like I'll be going with a Buck Mark. All the C&R stuff was either out of my price range or looked like it was too risky to buy online (might not be complete or in good order, etc.). The Buck Mark seems to be a well-proven design and it fits the budget.

Thanks for the leads and advice!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I decided that I just wasn't going to find exactly what I wanted in a C&R gun, so I picked up a Browning Buck Mark .22LR semi-auto. This one has a long barrel in stainless steel, Tru Glo sights (adjustable front and back), and holds 10 rounds in the mag.

My wife and I shot it yesterday for the first time, and it's a hoot to shoot! It's a very accurate little beast, is exceptionally well made, and you don't have to think about how much money you are blowing downrange with a .22LR. At one point, I just pointed the thing generally at the target and saw how fast I could pull the trigger (my own range, so I can do that stuff). I actually hit the paper with 9 of the shots, and I wasn't really aiming through the sights.

Thanks for the suggestion, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom