• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I had this same debate with myself recently, and I ended up with the Ruger, but the "predator" model - green stock, bigger bolt handle, no iron sights, but the same action and barrel as the "normal" one.

My thought process: it shares the best rimfire rifle magazines ever with the 10/22, which I also have. Bonus. The stock is better than the Savage I was looking at (which was the FV-SR which comes with a known flimsy stock) but you might not have that same comparison.

I will say this: The Ruger is properly bedded and (usually) properly free-floated from the factory. If it's not free floated (some people have found that one side of the very end of the stock contacts the barrel), you can fix the free-float thing with sand paper and five minutes. The Ruger has a *nice* adjustable trigger that's insanely easy to get down to right about 3# with no modification, or less than that if you're comfortable cutting coils off of a small spring.

I took mine out to the range to sight in, and it was punching .30" five shot groups regularly at 25 yards. I'm quite happy.

If I was shopping right now, I would look no further than this:
    https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1272

That's the basic American Rimfire with *all four* of the Ruger modular stock pieces for $200. Can't beat that with a stick. This is where I ordered mine from, and they had a local FFL on file who charged me $20 for the transfer. It was great.

That is a hell of a price. I'm not sure how they are only charging $200 for that rifle. John is more than that and I have never seen anyone that can beat his prices.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    That is a hell of a price. I'm not sure how they are only charging $200 for that rifle. John is more than that and I have never seen anyone that can beat his prices.

I *think* they're a fairly big place and I bet they just place HUGE bulk orders. I had asked John about the specific model of RAR I wanted, and he couldn't find one anywhere. Whittaker's still had three of them, so I ordered one.

That $200 thing for that rifle is an incredible deal though.

I thought about picking one up for my son for his own rifle when he's old enough, because at that price, jeepers, why not?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I *think* they're a fairly big place and I bet they just place HUGE bulk orders. I had asked John about the specific model of RAR I wanted, and he couldn't find one anywhere. Whittaker's still had three of them, so I ordered one.

That $200 thing for that rifle is an incredible deal though.

I thought about picking one up for my son for his own rifle when he's old enough, because at that price, jeepers, why not?

Sounds like a good idea. I just cannot believe $200. That's nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom