Opinions on whether the barrel below complies with "heavy barrel"? SPR-like profile

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guyman

Oct 23, 2015
    Kent Island
    So every barrel to be compliant in Maryland as a HBAR has to have it stamped or just simply advertised on the site as a HBAR barrel and can have any contour it wants to be considered legal?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Correct. (Doubt you will find any such barrels with grenade launcher cutouts.)

guyman

Oct 23, 2015
    Kent Island
    I talked to MSP and they said the same thing....what the heck is going on in this state. Now I need to find a descent barrel with HBAR stamped on it or advertised as such. :banghead:

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I talked to MSP and they said the same thing....what the heck is going on in this state. Now I need to find a descent barrel with HBAR stamped on it or advertised as such. :banghead:

It's like you didn't believe us. (I mean I wouldn't. But I thought we were convincing.)

guyman

Oct 23, 2015
    Kent Island
    haha... never doubted you all.. I just keep getting so many different answers on what constitutes a heavy barrel. A couple gun shops said it had to do with the contour of the barrel and one said it just had to be at least .75 under the hand guards. So I was just a little confused..

When is the last time a cop came up to you on the range and demanded to inspect your firearm? It rarely if ever happens..And even if they did, you could tell them no....There is no legal definition of HBAR in MD law, only a lose description that MSP has concocted...while I would not put a standard M4 profile barrel on a new build, what is to stop you from using any barrel without a grenade cut out or a bayonet lug?

The ARES defense SBR comes with a straight tube, no sights, no cut outs, no threads and is only about the diameter of a standard bolt action. The rifle will accept any 5.56 AR upper and is MD legal... how can that be? because MSPs "regulations" are obscure and concocted...that's how...

guyman

Oct 23, 2015
    Kent Island
    When is the last time a cop came up to you on the range and demanded to inspect your firearm? And even if they did, you could tell them no....There is no legal definition of HBAR in MD law, only a lose description that MSP has concocted...while I would not put a standard M4 profile barrel on a new build, what is to stop you from using any barrel without a grenade cut out or a bayonet lug?

The ARES defense SBR comes with a straight tube, no sights, no cut outs, no threads and is only about the diameter of a standard bolt action. The rifle will accept any 5.56 AR upper and is MD legal... how can that be? because MSPs "regulations" are obscure and concocted...that's how...

True.... I guess I was just thinking worst case scenario. But yea I've never had anyone come up to me and ask me about my barrel or anything at a range... And I agree the written law is very ridiculous.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally, I would use any barrel that is marked or advertised as HBAR. Or one, that is has the same or larger diameter everywhere, than the barrel on a Colt HBAR Sporter.

While they can set the "rules" any way they want, I would almost want to see the State's Attorney arguing that a given barrel is larger than the enumerated one, but was not legal. :D

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    HBAR definition at The Firing Line.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115133
    Heavy Barrel, full thickness barrel all the way down with no step cut for mounting an M-203 type grenade launcher. Deals with the heat better than a thinner cross-section barrel.

Del-Ton HBAR upper. It looks like it is .740 from the gas block forward.
    http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt101.htm

RKT101-2.jpg

Yahoo Answers.
    With ARs it typically means it will be same thickness under the handguards and in front of the handguards and will not have the M203 cutout like the government profile barrels do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom