Opinions on the Remington 1100 Tactical?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I was looking at one of these today (Tac 4) and had trouble finding trustworthy reviews. What has me wary is that Remington's quality control seems to be slipping in recent years and 1100s have always had something of a "hit or miss" reputation. It's just not a gun I'm real familiar with and I could use a bit of help.

I would greatly appreciate it if there's someone out there who can enlighten me.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    No experience with this model in particular. However, just wanted to note that the 3" 1100s did have reliability issues at times shooting 2 3/4" target ammo. The 2 3/4" chambered guns were flawless in function. Shoot 2 3/4" ammo and all should go well.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I was looking at one of these today (Tac 4) and had trouble finding trustworthy reviews. What has me wary is that Remington's quality control seems to be slipping in recent years and 1100s have always had something of a "hit or miss" reputation. It's just not a gun I'm real familiar with and I could use a bit of help.

I would greatly appreciate it if there's someone out there who can enlighten me.

Only "standard" defense semi auto shotguns I have full faith in are the Benelli M series and the FN SLP.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I've had a tac-4 for about 8 years... I don't regret it for a moment. It was a HD gun before my son was born, but now it sits in the safe. I put a fair number of rounds through it before replacing my HD 870 and trusting it in that role... at least 500 rounds of Remington 00 buck without a single malfunction, then another 250 rounds of federal slugs with the same results. I have not shot it much since that break-in period.

Between the action and a very effective recoil pad, the gun shoots soft for what it is. Also, for what it's worth, I also find it to be a very naturally handling and pointing gun.

One note about 1100's... keep them oiled on the tube under the hand guard for best results. In my limited experience, few people seem to know that... which may contribute to bad experiences (in addition to shooting low-powered crap ammo and expecting it to cycle reliably). Like every gun, they need to be properly lubed and fed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    i would go to the Versa Max. Basically a Remington copy of the Benelli. Functions well with a wide range of ammunition.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    a friend has one and it is excellent. great to shoot, never jams that i have seen, and has a nice finish. he loves it. i have fired it many times and can say if i could afford one right now i would have one for myself

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    No experience with this model in particular. However, just wanted to note that the 3" 1100s did have reliability issues at times shooting 2 3/4" target ammo. The 2 3/4" chambered guns were flawless in function. Shoot 2 3/4" ammo and all should go well.

The 'magnum' 1100s have different gas port(s) in the barrel, typically.

The 'standard' 1100s (2-3/4" chamber) has two (2) gas holes/ports inside of the barrel band.
    The 'magnum' 1100s (3" chamber) have one (1) gas hole/port inside of the barrel band.

My 1983 model 1100 magnum is a 'fluke'.
    It came with a 30" VR barrel marked "Full" (choke) but, acutally is choked "X-tra Full".
    It has one hole/port in the barrel band, but, it will cycle ANYTHING that's put in the magazine, from light 2-3/4" target loads, to heavy 3" magnums, and everything in between.

I've put 1 oz powderpuff loads in this old gun and it cycles them like the gun was designed just for that load.

One local gunsmith seemed to think that the choke restriction was causing/allowing more 'back pressure' and that was allowing the gun to function with any load.
    He also said that this MAY tend to put more stress on the recoil spring (with magnums) and POSSIBLY more wear on the action.
    Note: I've not had that barrel on this grand ole 1100 in over 28 years. I've got a Hastings 24" choke-tubed barrel on it, and love it!

I've read where some people have opened the hole/port, trying to get a better functioning 1100, and all they have done is SCREW UP the barrel.

The barrel length, choke, gas hole/port are all factored in, when getting the proper gas regulation on the 1100s gas system.
    This is the reason why the 11-87 was designed and built.

They are virtually the same scattergun, with the gas system (and barrel band) being different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom