• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I don't know what happened to the old gray-haired RSO with the pipe, but the others I've seen there have been pretty good.

You might be thinking of Jim. I asked about him last time I was there and they said he had passed away. I miss him he was a really good guy![/QUOTE]

Jim was one of the best.

I used to be a member there for the first couple of years they were open. After a couple of mishaps, no injuries, they really got tight on safety. Not that I mind being safe but they really went overboard. The last time I was there was a long time back and they were limiting everyone to an hour whether there were folks waiting for a lane or not. Never went back.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    I liked it the one time I went. I did a very boneheaded thing and had a foot forward of the firing line once while I was shooting a Mauser standing. For some reason I had it in my head that the line was nearer the front of the rifle box. They corrected way more politely than I would have corrected myself and firmly enough for me to remember. Needless to say I only made the mistake once.

I liked that they had 200 yard ranges. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of capacity up there though, and I could see the place getting crowded quickly. I got the sense that I was there on a slow day. There were some cool, very friendly people up there too. Also, since they allow .50, someone to my left was shooting a cannon (Beowulf). I guess not many ranges allow .50 cals?

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The RSO's are great, and I like the fact they DO THEIR JOBS. I took a group of female first time shooters, and they explained the rules, and didn't make them feel unwanted or uncomfortable. In MD, I think this is a great range.

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    I like HAP too. Polite and professional RSO. Stood by and advised me when I was shooting for the first time in twenty years using a semi-auto that had never been fired before.

John C

jackpollard

Dec 26, 2013
    Outside Union Bridge, MD.
    I've been there the past few Saturdays and its been excellent experiences. I've met some great people, enjoyed learning and general conversation. With all that said, I go to shoot. I make sure to respect all the rules. Don't touch your weapon when the line is cold. I make it a point to unload on my bench when the line is hot, muzzle always downrange. The main RSO comment I hear is to keep your muzzle in the box.
    I've started picking up brass to reload and I always grab mine. They provide staplers and you can buy or bring your own targets. Cold target change is usually 5 minutes or until the last person is back. I usually change em if I have to, you can put up 2 or 3 at a time and then sweep up my area. When your done, hot line only, I bring my case to the line, after making my weapon safe, and lock it up there and then I'm on my merry way. They have bench space in back of your shooting area and supply spotting scopes. I've not had a wait the last few times and really don't mind if I do, bring a pistol and enjoy the wait!
    Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom