• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    Ive been researching 22 pistos for about a month and have narrowed it down to three models. This will be used mainly for plinking and it will be suppressed. My choices are Rugers SR22 and the 22/45 lite and the Walther P22. Can you guys give me some input on my choices or possibly recommend any other models?

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    I've got a S&W 617. It's a 22LR with a 10-shot cylinder. Since it's hard to make a reliable magazine-fed rimfire, I chose to go revolver.

It's beautiful. Reliable. No recoil. Plus, the single-action trigger is amazing.

Oh, and it shoots 22 long, 22 short, and 22LR.

It's so fun shooting 22 short.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I have a SR22 with threaded barrel. I highly recommend it.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Ive been researching 22 pistos for about a month and have narrowed it down to three models. This will be used mainly for plinking and it will be suppressed. My choices are Rugers SR22 and the 22/45 lite and the Walther P22. Can you guys give me some input on my choices or possibly recommend any other models?

I've had an SR22 with a threaded barrel for a couple of years and it works flawlessly with every type of ammunition I've fed it. I've shot a P22 and found it to be finicky about ammunition. No experience with the 22/45.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Seems 2 people here think you can suppress a .22 revolver ???? If they can tell me how to suppress my 617 and SP 101 I'm all ears.
    OP- the only one I have experience with is the 22/45 and it has worked well for me.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Seems 2 people here think you can suppress a .22 revolver ???? If they can tell me how to suppress my 617 and SP 101 I'm all ears.
    OP- the only one I have experience with is the 22/45 and it has worked well for me.

Indeed. The only revolver I know of that you can successfully suppress is the Nagant 1895.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    True, but 22 short out of a revolver (or anything) is like a cap gun.

Even more so with 22 Short CB. I also shoot a lot of CCI 22LR Quiet with revolvers and you don't need hearing protection. When I'm shooting CCI Quiet out of a 22LR rifle at the range, the bullet hitting the target board is louder than the rifle report.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I have both a Walther P22 and a 22/45. The P22 is easy to take apart but finicky with ammo. The 22/45 is much better with different ammo but more of a pain to take down for cleaning.

Another option might be a conversion kit for a full size pistol. I have a CZ Kadet kit for my CZ-75 and like it very much. The Sig and Glock .22LR kits function well unsuppressed but not very well suppressed with subsonic ammo.

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    I have 2 ruger mark II's, a slabside target model and one with the 10" bull barrel. 15 and 22 years old respectively. never had a problem with either one of them. super accurate, quarter size groups at 20 yards. the slabside has almost 70,000 rounds through it and the 10" has around 40 to 50,000 through it.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    If you haven't committed yet, consider a M&P 22 Compact - available with a factory threaded barrel/adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom