• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hey everyone, I have an unfired Trijicon RMR Type 2 for my Glock 19 (with ZEV duty slide) but I don't make it to the range often and the idea of having to re-zero after battery changes is getting into my head, haha. I'm thinking about trading or selling to get an SRO - does anyone have any strong negative expeirence with the SRO and recommend that I keep the RMR?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey everyone, I have an unfired Trijicon RMR Type 2 for my Glock 19 (with ZEV duty slide) but I don't make it to the range often and the idea of having to re-zero after battery changes is getting into my head, haha. I'm thinking about trading or selling to get an SRO - does anyone have any strong negative expeirence with the SRO and recommend that I keep the RMR?
    If it will be your carry, I would keep the RMR. The RMR definitely has a narrower sight window, making recoil control more necessary(you want to keep the dot in the lens throughout the shot cycle). Really, it comes down to personal preference. I have both.

If it will be your carry, I would keep the RMR. The RMR definitely has a narrower sight window, making recoil control more necessary(you want to keep the dot in the lens throughout the shot cycle). Really, it comes down to personal preference. I have both.
    Thanks for your reply, this would primarily be for OWB/range use I think but it's good to have the option for carry...

CZ_Jockey

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    owings mills, md
    Hey everyone, I have an unfired Trijicon RMR Type 2 for my Glock 19 (with ZEV duty slide) but I don't make it to the range often and the idea of having to re-zero after battery changes is getting into my head, haha. I'm thinking about trading or selling to get an SRO - does anyone have any strong negative expeirence with the SRO and recommend that I keep the RMR?

I have had both and kept the SRO. The bigger window and battery access are why. The RMR is a stronger design but what kind of use will you see? I carry mine without issue. But I am not a ninja! The new HD RMR is very nice with a matching price tag.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I think the whole "remove to replace battery" thing isn't a problem on better sights with consistent mounting hardware. Have swapped batteries and Shield, Romeo or Trijicon sights end up right back on target. Cheap stuff, not so much, and might have to re-zero just from bouncing around with normal use. I used to install and co-witness an old rail mounted laser to my RD sights before pulling the sight to work on something or replace batteries, works for a quick verification of zero if you can't make it to the range before carrying again. Personally I would stick with the RMR, trading, taking a loss, then buying an SRO would cost a lot to replace a proven and rugged sight. That being said, if I were to buy a new one for a new install, the SRO does have advantages over the RMR, and for most would be the better sight, but the larger lens isn't as important IMO for a defensive firearm than a competition or range use pistol.

I think the whole "remove to replace battery" thing isn't a problem on better sights with consistent mounting hardware. Have swapped batteries and Shield, Romeo or Trijicon sights end up right back on target. Cheap stuff, not so much, and might have to re-zero just from bouncing around with normal use. I used to install and co-witness an old rail mounted laser to my RD sights before pulling the sight to work on something or replace batteries, works for a quick verification of zero if you can't make it to the range before carrying again. Personally I would stick with the RMR, trading, taking a loss, then buying an SRO would cost a lot to replace a proven and rugged sight. That being said, if I were to buy a new one for a new install, the SRO does have advantages over the RMR, and for most would be the better sight, but the larger lens isn't as important IMO for a defensive firearm than a competition or range use pistol.
    That's really great feedback - thank you.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Personally, I prefer the SRO except when you start saying carry. For a range toy, the decision in my opinion comes down to window and there's no comparison. Both are more than strong enough.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I have had both and kept the SRO. The bigger window and battery access are why. The RMR is a stronger design but what kind of use will you see? I carry mine without issue. But I am not a ninja! The new HD RMR is very nice with a matching price tag.

As the resident ninja, I don't carry a gun. I find that my H2H skills, my ninjato and my distance weapons are more than enough to deal with the issues I encounter.

As a result, I unfortunately have no insight into SRO vs RMR.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    With the RMR HD and the RCR (both just barely priced higher than the RMR), I think the RMR is going to go the way of the DoDo bird.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With the RMR HD and the RCR (both just barely priced higher than the RMR), I think the RMR is going to go the way of the DoDo bird.
    Yeah, not so fast. For one thing, they stick up about as high as the SRO, although, admittedly, they probably have the built in ruggedness of the RMR type 2s. I heard someone complain about the height, though that doesn't bother me in a carry aspect. Also, I personally hate self adjusting brightness on any RDS, though that can be deleted if needed(for good reason). How does that play with the forward mounted light sensor? The top feed battery is a selling point for a lot of people, but it's really a solution looking for a problem, IMO.

When it comes to pistol RDSs, I prefer simplicity. Hopefully, it will bring down the price of the RMR type 2s. I could always use another one.

Also, talk about Dodos, they are still selling these...

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    RCR has no light sensor. Closed emitter. Top mount battery. Metal battery cover. And Trijicon ruggedness. I don’t know why anyone would buy a RMR if the RCR is available.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    RCR has no light sensor. Closed emitter. Top mount battery. Metal battery cover. And Trijicon ruggedness. I don’t know why anyone would buy a RMR if the RCR is available.
    I was talking about the RMR HD that you mentioned.

RCRs are friggin toaster ovens on top of your pistol. I can honestly see them being a tad cumbersome IWB or IWBA.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I was talking about the RMR HD that you mentioned.

RCRs are friggin toaster ovens on top of your pistol. I can honestly see them being a tad cumbersome IWB or IWBA.
    Same height, just closes up the “empty space” behind the screen. Don’t see how it will be any different carrying.

I’ll let you know when mine arrives. I have one on back order through euro optics.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Same height, just closes up the “empty space” behind the screen. Don’t see how it will be any different carrying.

I’ll let you know when mine arrives. I have one on back order through euro optics.
    I get it. I have one. I hate it and tried to sell it here(cheap bastards!). Consider carry options; holstered w/ muzzle pointing down. Rain and snow still gather on the rear lens, obstructing you view. Problem not solved. Better than the other? Maybe, but not optimal.

Mine lives on my 10mm long slide. Maybe, some day, I'll take it deer hunting. Probably not.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Consider carry options; holstered w/ muzzle pointing down. Rain and snow still gather on the rear lens, obstructing you view.
    Swipe of the finger versus unusable dot (open emitter). Pretty big difference.

I mean… cmon…. Can your open emitter do this ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Swipe of the finger versus unusable dot (open emitter). Pretty big difference.

I mean… cmon…. Can your open emitter do this ?

Lol! You gotta love Trijicon. At least their pistol sights(some of their other stuff doesn't live up to their reputation IMHO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom