mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Till trying to chose in Congressional District 2:
    Ruppersberger: NRA "F"
    Blaine Taylor: Many anti-gun positions
    Paul Rundquist: Can't find anything

Am I going about this DINO the wrong way? Should our only effort be to pick the one most likely to beat the incumbent (for me, that is Ruppersberger) rather than picking the most pro-gun opposition? After all, if I pick the unknown Rundquist over Taylor, will my vote be wasted on someone who cannot beat Ruppersberger? We do need to vote the current bum (Ruppersberger) out to teach all who follow what we are capable of. Thoughts?

Could not find a poll on where voters are with Rundquist vs. Taylor--who could beat Ruppersberger???

PaulRundquist

Jun 7, 2014
    Good morning,

You caught me at my desk, so this is not a form answer. As a Congressman, I will not be directly involved in making State laws, so while I certainly encourage candidates for offices in State government to take a firm position on SB281, I do not intend to interfere in local politics myself.

That being said, I believe that gun control and concealed carry laws for Marylanders should be made in Annapolis, not in Washington. Gun control legislation is always divisive, and it is an issue that can be adequately addressed in State legislatures. What Marylanders decide is right for Baltimore may not be what Texans decide is right for Texas, and I believe that our nations' laws should reflect that.

This election is about your rights. You've read the papers, and you've seen that the incumbent is the architect of the surveillance status quo. As a former intelligence analyst, I will work for effective Congressional oversight of the intelligence community, rather than an expanding surveillance state. I would encourage you to go to the polls and vote for me on June 24.

Regards,
    Paul Rundquist

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Good morning,

You caught me at my desk, so this is not a form answer. As a Congressman, I will not be directly involved in making State laws, so while I certainly encourage candidates for offices in State government to take a firm position on SB281, I do not intend to interfere in local politics myself.

That being said, I believe that gun control and concealed carry laws for Marylanders should be made in Annapolis, not in Washington. Gun control legislation is always divisive, and it is an issue that can be adequately addressed in State legislatures. What Marylanders decide is right for Baltimore may not be what Texans decide is right for Texas, and I believe that our nations' laws should reflect that.

This election is about your rights. You've read the papers, and you've seen that the incumbent is the architect of the surveillance status quo. As a former intelligence analyst, I will work for effective Congressional oversight of the intelligence community, rather than an expanding surveillance state. I would encourage you to go to the polls and vote for me on June 24.

Regards,
    Paul Rundquist

Well, that's all well and good.
    We still don't know where you stand on our 2nd amendment rights.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Good morning,

Regards,
    Paul Rundquist

Not to be rude, but...

The folks here are savvy, and understand non-answers for what they are.

They also understand very well that "all politics is local", and expect all their representation to work for them, regardless of the office they might hold.

I'm sure we're all looking forward to some detailed information of how you intend to represent your district's residents in regard to the 2nd Amendment, in particular.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    For District 2 Congress: Blaine Taylor and Paul Rundquist (both running against NRA "F" rated Ruppersberger):
    Asked the following; will let you know their responses:
    Candidate Taylor (and Rundquist in separate message),
    What is your stance on the Second Amendment? Specifically, will you work to repeal Maryland's SB281, and will you bring Maryland inline with the overwhelming majority of the country and allow verified lawful citizens to carry concealed weapons for self-defense, removing Maryland's routinely denied "good-and-substantial reason" justification the state requires for citizens to exercise Constitutional rights? After all, as a Congressman in Maryland, you will have that right yourself. Currently, Maryland believes that only the families of politicians and bankers are worthy of this right.

Thank you
    Registered Democrat, Congressional District 2

Good morning,

Regards,
    Paul Rundquist

Not to be rude, but...

The folks here are savvy, and understand non-answers for what they are.

They also understand very well that "all politics is local", and expect all their representation to work for them, regardless of the office they might hold.

I'm sure we're all looking forward to some detailed information of how you intend to represent your district's residents in regard to the 2nd Amendment, in particular.

In his defense, the questions asked concerned items at a state legislature level and were not something which could be addressed by a U.S. Congressman. Maybe another inquiry with questions directed toward federal items, such as where he stands on a Federal AWB, national reciprocity for CCW, etc. might get a clearer answer.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have had Cheryl Kagen and Luis Simmons both come by my house in the last few days (District 17). I didn't have time to drill Simmons but I did query Kagen about her views on guns. She actually told me she has many NRA certifications and was in support of hunters. I told her it was not about hunters it is about self defense.

I then told her MD is basically 1 of the few states that is "may issues" and might as well be no issue. She said she had no idea that it was that way and she would look into it. Then she proceeded to blow smoke up my ass about funding for the schools. Mainly because she came up when I and my 6 year old daughter were going for a bike ride.

Not that I believe a word she said about guns and her "NRA Certifications" but I do know Simmons record and he is no friend of ours. Lets send Simmons packing, who know Kagen "might" be a supporter but I doubt it.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    In his defense, the questions asked concerned items at a state legislature level and were not something which could be addressed by a U.S. Congressman. Maybe another inquiry with questions directed toward federal items, such as where he stands on a Federal AWB, national reciprocity for CCW, etc. might get a clearer answer.

Good point. An indication as to what the answers to such questions might be is in what was posted - "...laws for Marylanders should be made in Annapolis, not in Washington..."

I have had Cheryl Kagen and Luis Simmons both come by my house in the last few days (District 17). I didn't have time to drill Simmons but I did query Kagen about her views on guns. She actually told me she has many NRA certifications and was in support of hunters. I told her it was not about hunters it is about self defense.

I then told her MD is basically 1 of the few states that is "may issues" and might as well be no issue. She said she had no idea that it was that way and she would look into it. Then she proceeded to blow smoke up my ass about funding for the schools. Mainly because she came up when I and my 6 year old daughter were going for a bike ride.

Not that I believe a word she said about guns and her "NRA Certifications" but I do know Simmons record and he is no friend of ours. Lets send Simmons packing, who know Kagen "might" be a supporter but I doubt it.

Kagan got an "F" from the NRA (http://www.nrapvf.org/grades-endorsements/2014/maryland.aspx). Maybe that is the certification to which she was referring :) She still gets the DINO vote because Simmons is the Incumbent and needs to move on to a new career.

Edit: Kagan worked with the Brady Campaign - http://www.cherylkagan.org/main/where-does-cheryl-stand-on-key-issues/#gun_control

Last edited:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Good point. An indication as to what the answers to such questions might be is in what was posted - "...laws for Marylanders should be made in Annapolis, not in Washington..."

Kagan got an "F" from the NRA (http://www.nrapvf.org/grades-endorsements/2014/maryland.aspx). Maybe that is the certification to which she was referring :) She still gets the DINO vote because Simmons is the Incumbent and needs to move on to a new career.

Edit: Kagan worked with the Brady Campaign - http://www.cherylkagan.org/main/where-does-cheryl-stand-on-key-issues/#gun_control

Well, if she got an F, Simmons must have an F-.

Notice her backlog stance also.

Simmons needs to go back to his law practice for good on June 25.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville

I think I would have had to have the HAZMAT team come to my house if Simmons showed up. The oilslick would have been...THE HORROR!!:sad20:

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville

I see that. I wonder what she is talking about as she was not in office last year .

Still much better than Simmons.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012

I think I would have had to have the HAZMAT team come to my house if Simmons showed up. The oilslick would have been...THE HORROR!!:sad20:

Yeah, D17 is not a good situation. Wonder what she did on backlog - try to make it a longer wait?
    Simmons needs to go, and the replacement wont be a lot better. Looks like little chance of a (R) win in that district - http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2010/results/General/gen_results_2010_2_01517.html

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD

From Chery Kagan's website: Retrieved from http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...43aae&ch=e792d600-50a6-11e3-a3a8-d4ae52843aae

"I began my career in politics working with Jim & Sarah Brady, helping to enact the Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban. Then, as a member of the Maryland House of Delegates, I asked the tough questions about an egregious backlog in gun background checks. This dangerous situation could have allowed violent criminals to purchase firearms and use them for months before their background check was completed.

My opponent is trying to paper over his record... On March 24, 2013, the Washington Post-- which has endorsed me for State Senate-- editorialized that "Simmons...said (he was) inclined to exempt the AR-15 from the weapons ban,' and that he was 'swayed by the pleadings of gun advocates who have flooded the legislative halls in Annapolis."
    -- Is this sincerity or concern for career? He is actively going after gun registration seizures

Simmons was a member of House of Delegates from January 10, 1979 to January 12, 1983. He has now been a member since January 8, 2003. He currently serves on the House Judiciary Committee and the Legislative Policy Committee.

Simmons 2014 proposal to link gun registry databases: State Police estimate that if they linked the databases, they would find that 10 percent of registered gun owners -- about 110,000 people -- would be disqualified.
    California linked its gun and criminal registries in 2007 and has since seized more than 10,000 guns from people convicted of violent crimes, according to a news release from Simmons' office. As of last year, the state had identified another 40,000 guns that police needed to track down, the news release states.

- Simmons is over simplifying the link. NOT JUST CRIMINALS: Read here what it meant in California: NOTE: California linked medical records (think Obamacare) and began swat-team home invasions--primarily against LAWFUL citizens, to pad "guns-off-the-streets" statistics.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=152953

MD Simmons proposal:
    http://www.wbaltv.com/politics/md-h...un-criminal-registries/24815684#ixzz3437RTCUg

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Given the decision between a known (Simmons) and an unknown that worked on in the Brady house (Kegan), I would suggest Simmons.

And here is why, Lou has worked with the 2A community in the past, don't get me wrong, there is a lot we agree to disagree on, but Lou will sit down and listen and tell if he will work with you on an issue or not.

Just my opinion, from what I have observed and done as an individual, not an endorsement by from any position I may hold in any particular 2A organization (MSI).

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    We promised to vote out the bums. If those currently holding political seats are the ones who voted for SB281 or supported other restrictions on our 2A liberties, they need to go. If we fail, they will continue to ignore us, arguing that we have no teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom