• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Anyone get out for opening day?
    Got out today, birds started flying later than usual but when they started it was on. I haven't seen this many teal in years! We limited out in 5 minutes. Just wave after wave of teal, flying directly at us. There was someone set up in my usual spot so I set up in a different spot and it turned out to work great. The guys in my usual spot only shot a few times. I got no pictures, my phone died listening to music on the way out and while getting set up. Then they guys I was hunting with have old phones that can take pics but they don't have a texting plan :sad20:. Hopefully I can get back out saturday with the same results.
    17-GW
    1-BW

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Got one. Had quite a few flying, but not close enough. I'm going out tomorrow evening. Should do better with the sun facing my blind differently.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Good shooting, we're going our Saturday. Where were you hunting?

Not trying to be a dick but the Eastern Shore. Its public land, I learned my lesson showing strangers or trying to help someone new out. I took out someone from another hunting forum, did well, and now that person is a professional squatter on that spot. Not that I shouldn't have expected anything less but it just asses me up someone would do that in stead of putting in their own time to find something else.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Agree, but at least a county is a courtesy for other forum members. IMO its just a point of interest. I'd think the risk of a squatter as you call it coming from just the mention of location on a public forum is slim.

I would have loved to seen pictures of your bag.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Not trying to be a dick but the Eastern Shore. Its public land, I learned my lesson showing strangers or trying to help someone new out. I took out someone from another hunting forum, did well, and now that person is a professional squatter on that spot. Not that I shouldn't have expected anything less but it just asses me up someone would do that in stead of putting in their own time to find something else.

I agree with you 100 %. I was just curious on general location. I'll shoot you a pm.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012

Don't blame you one bit. I'm lucky to be on private land. If I was confined to public land, I'd keep it quiet too.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It really does amaze me how we hunters, and even gun owners, just cannot get along. I guess it is the fight over limited resources (e.g., land) when it comes to hunting. Actually getting so tired of trying to find places to hunt that I was looking online tonight to buy something. Found 177 acres of marshland in Cambridge for $255k. Just the size I want and not completely out of the realm of affordability.

I've taken friends out hunting, but they were my friends first and foremost before I took them to one of the farms I have permission to hunt.

Almost 20 years ago I hunted public land with a couple buddies around Elliott Island. Just amazing what people would do. We actually went out at 2:00 am to make sure we got a decent spot in the marsh. The hunting was decent, but nothing spectacular. On the way back, we ran into a wire that was strung across the water with a brick on each end of the damn thing. Some people are really sick.

It really is sad that hunting is coming to this in Maryland.

Edit to add: This isn't really a new phenomenon. My dad has the same story as the OP about taking a guy hunting on a farm and then finding the guy there every time he would go hunting. He has told me the story countless times. Tough part about it is that I prefer to hunt with friends versus hunting alone.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Leases and private land I hunt is one thing. I'll tell you all about them. Public land I hunt, no sorry. Way to many internet hunters out there. Besides early season teal on public land on the eastern shore and you don't have an idea where I was you got no business being out there to begin with than.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Leases and private land I hunt is one thing. I'll tell you all about them. Public land I hunt, no sorry. Way to many internet hunters out there. Besides early season teal on public land on the eastern shore and you don't have an idea where I was you got no business being out there to begin with than.

Alrighty then. lol

I think the only thing I might dislike about hunting is other hunters. I meet way more unpleasant hunters out in the field than the average person I meet on the street. Could be because most hunters are alphas, but who knows.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Besides early season teal on public land on the eastern shore and you don't have an idea where I was you got no business being out there to begin with than.

You had me understanding until this.

I think maybe I should add this statement to my signature, I say it so often.

AND THEN THEY WONDER WHY HUNTING IS A DYING SPORT.

Must be nice to have been the lucky one born knowing where to hunt and when. :sad20:

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Alrighty then. lol

I think the only thing I might dislike about hunting is other hunters. I meet way more unpleasant hunters out in the field than the average person I meet on the street. Could be because most hunters are alphas, but who knows.

Ok that came out completely wrong, got rushed at the end. My bad, not how I had wanted that to come across. What I was getting at was most who have waterfowl hunted know of the place I was hunting the other day just by what I have said. If I came out and said it there would be 100 hunters out there (exaggerating of course) just off of that one post.
    I am no alpha of hunting, hell I haven't gotten out more than 8 times in the last 3 years. I don't scout like I used to, I just go and see what happens.
    Again not trying to come off as the ******* hunter cause that is not me one bit. You want help, suggestions, or to join me send me a pm. I have offered to others, some have responded others haven't.:innocent0

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore

Must be nice to have been the lucky one born knowing where to hunt and when. :sad20:

Nope wasn't born knowing when or where to hunt. Actually, a lot of research, blood, sweat and lots of hours is how I became lucky. In high school me and 2 other friends decided we wanted to waterfowl hunt. We had no idea what we were doing, didn't know a soul that did. Pulled out the regs, looked for public land that we could access and scouted. Then slowly built up from there, scouting, scouting, scouting, scouting, oh and more scouting. We went thirds when we realized a boat would help our chances and bought a boat together. Nothing nice just a 14ft beater with a 5hp motor. Then scouted and scouted and scouted and scouted then scouted some more. now with the boat we found blind sites and the lottery. then we scouted, scouted, and scouted some more. Woke up early went and stood in lines for the blind site lottery hoping we could get something good (usually did). We did this though our 20's, now we can afford a lease and thats where most of the hunting happens now but still get out to the old stomping grounds where all that blood, sweat and scouting took place many years ago.
    No sliver spoon in this mouth, more like a rock I was able to polish to gold with hard work.
    I know your new to hunting, I reached out to you but got no response. Be glad to help if you'd like. But, as my earlier post stated I don't get to hunt much any more.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ok that came out completely wrong, got rushed at the end. My bad, not how I had wanted that to come across. What I was getting at was most who have waterfowl hunted know of the place I was hunting the other day just by what I have said. If I came out and said it there would be 100 hunters out there (exaggerating of course) just off of that one post.
    I am no alpha of hunting, hell I haven't gotten out more than 8 times in the last 3 years. I don't scout like I used to, I just go and see what happens.
    Again not trying to come off as the ******* hunter cause that is not me one bit. You want help, suggestions, or to join me send me a pm. I have offered to others, some have responded others haven't.:innocent0

No problem, and that reply sounds much better. I've only done a little bit of waterfowl hunting on the eastern shore. Most of mine has been done in Howard, Montgomery, Frederick, and Washington Counties. Believe it or not, the last teal I killed was in Washington County about a decade ago. Hunted geese last year a couple of times on the eastern shore with a buddy that is a member in a hunt club. Couldn't even tell you where we were on the eastern shore though because I usually sleep on the way there and on the way back (i.e., you sleep when you can once you have kids).

Wish I could take everybody up on every offer I get to go hunting. A decade ago, I would. Having kids makes it so much more difficult. Got an invite to dove hunt 100 acres of sunflower, some of which has been mowed down, on Saturday and my son has a soccer double header and my wife works this weekend. Ugh.

Take your camera next time and post some pics.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Nope wasn't born knowing when or where to hunt. Actually, a lot of research, blood, sweat and lots of hours is how I became lucky. In high school me and 2 other friends decided we wanted to waterfowl hunt. We had no idea what we were doing, didn't know a soul that did. Pulled out the regs, looked for public land that we could access and scouted. Then slowly built up from there, scouting, scouting, scouting, scouting, oh and more scouting. We went thirds when we realized a boat would help our chances and bought a boat together. Nothing nice just a 14ft beater with a 5hp motor. Then scouted and scouted and scouted and scouted then scouted some more. now with the boat we found blind sites and the lottery. then we scouted, scouted, and scouted some more. Woke up early went and stood in lines for the blind site lottery hoping we could get something good (usually did). We did this though our 20's, now we can afford a lease and thats where most of the hunting happens now but still get out to the old stomping grounds where all that blood, sweat and scouting took place many years ago.
    No sliver spoon in this mouth, more like a rock I was able to polish to gold with hard work.
    I know your new to hunting, I reached out to you but got no response. Be glad to help if you'd like. But, as my earlier post stated I don't get to hunt much any more.

Sounds like we are in the same boat (pun intended). A decade ago I would kill 100 doves, 100 geese, 50 ducks, 50 crows, 10 deer, and I am sure I am missing something somewhere. Got 12 bird bans one year, one of which was a $100 duck. Now, I am lucky if I get out 5 times during the year. Hoping to get out 10 times this year, but we shall see. Just might make it a point to hunt the morning every day my wife is off of work, until she tells me "I think we have enough goose jerky and venison in the freezer". lol

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county

Posting up where you kill ducks around here on public land on a public forum is a good way to get 100 people hunting a spot/area you found. While I understand it is public it's frustrating with the internet scouters. If you would like help with anything you can always shoot me a PM.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Posting up where you kill ducks around here on public land on a public forum is a good way to get 100 people hunting a spot/area you found. While I understand it is public it's frustrating with the internet scouters. If you would like help with anything you can always shoot me a PM.

That is probably 100% correct. Post where you saw a nice big 10 pointer on public land, include a picture, and there is sure to be 1,000 hunters in those woods come opening day. However, you were the one that did all the work scouting, etc.

Me, I have to get to know somebody before I take them hunting with me, even when it is on private land. I have to be able to trust them when I tell them, "Do not come hunting here without me." If we are good enough friends, then I might be alright with them just calling me before they hunt to see if I am hunting and if so, if I am bringing anybody else. Honestly though, I hate hunting by myself. I can deal with being on a stand by myself, but at least there has to be some friends in the woods with me.

I have witnessed and heard of too many horror stories where a bad hunter ruins a good thing for a bunch of other guys that have permission to hunt a farm. No farm owner wants to be inconvenienced by hunters. No farm owner wants to lose money out of pocket because of hunters either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom