• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

• Total voters

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Law enforcement is a whole different ball of wax. I will carry for personal protection. CCW laws are not about turning everyone into LEOs. I also would like the option of both carry methods.
    Trust me that I am not equating LEO with CCW. That's the last thing that I want to do. What I'm saying is that one size does not fit all situations.

Rights or no rights, just bad tactics to carry open. Keep it covered, keep your advantage.
    Not to pick on your post but this kind of illustrates my point. The connotation seems to be that you can draw on someone who didn't know you were carrying after a confrontation has started. I'd like them to not want to even start anything because they know I am carrying. I'm not LEO. I'm not looking for a Tactical Advantage. I'm looking to get along in life with the least hassle.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Trust me that I am not equating LEO with CCW. That's the last thing that I want to do. What I'm saying is that one size does not fit all situations.

Not to pick on your post but this kind of illustrates my point. The connotation seems to be that you can draw on someone who didn't know you were carrying after a confrontation has started. I'd like them to not want to even start anything because they know I am carrying. I'm not LEO. I'm not looking for a Tactical Advantage. I'm looking to get along in life with the least hassle.

^^^THIS^^^
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Well said safetech, I believe I made that point as well. If you have a clean appearance and have a gun securely on your hip in a holster, I believe most in this area would just assume your Leo, and go about their business. Now if you have a guns don't kill people, I kill people shirt on, or look like a thug, it might be different.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I'm a firm believer in concealed depending on the local and attitude of the general population towards guns but if I'm in AZ, MT, WY or some other place where OC is the norm and expected that I will go native and join the crowd.

What good is it to own a BBQ gun with a fancy hand tooled belt and holster if you can't show it off now and then?

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I take my dog out, but I keep him on a leash when people are around. My dog doesn't bite - I know that. But others don't. So others might have an irrational fear of my dog. It's courtesy to keep him on a leash.

By your theory then, shouldn't you keep your dog out of sight as a "courtesy"?

I've been thinking more about this.

How is a holstered weapon any different than a dog on a leash?

If a gun should be kept out of site around other people because someone might be frightened by it, then shouldn't you not walk your dog around other people because they might be frightened by it?

Carrying a holstered weapon = walking a leashed dog

If people are uncomfortable or afraid of it, that is their problem. It should not put a burden on you not to walk your dog around them, or me not to open carry around them - simply because THEY are "uncomfortable".

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    By your theory then, shouldn't you keep your dog out of sight as a "courtesy"?

I've been thinking more about this.

How is a holstered weapon any different than a dog on a leash?

If a gun should be kept out of site around other people because someone might be frightened by it, then shouldn't you not walk your dog around other people because they might be frightened by it?

Carrying a holstered weapon = walking a leashed dog

If people are uncomfortable or afraid of it, that is their problem. It should not put a burden on you not to walk your dog around them, or me not to open carry around them - simply because THEY are "uncomfortable".

You're taking my analogy to a conclusion it wasn't meant for. It's just an example of how behaviors are modified to appease other's fears. If you want to take my analogy to this type of conclusion, then I would respond that I don't take my dog into stores because I don't feel it's appropriate. I see people every weekend with their dogs inside of Home Depot - I wouldn't do this because I feel it's disrespectful to those shopping around me who may have issues with dogs.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Where I live, neither OC or CC is an issue. Both are accepted equally, and that's about it. There is no problem getting a CC permit, there is just cost. I simply don't have the money right now.

I live in a relatively rural area along the NC coast. Guns are a way of life here. You still see them in the back windows of trucks, and on people's hips. They aren't feared or looked at as instruments of evil. People still shoot in their yards (if they have a decent amount of land).

I never paid much attention to the "battered gun owner's syndrome" until I moved here. Here, we carry pretty much everywhere and it's just accepted. I was in a public place yesterday and had a conversation with a police officer that had nothing to do with guns. The .357 on my hip never figured in the conversation.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    You're taking my analogy to a conclusion it wasn't meant for. It's just an example of how behaviors are modified to appease other's fears. If you want to take my analogy to this type of conclusion, then I would respond that I don't take my dog into stores because I don't feel it's appropriate. I see people every weekend with their dogs inside of Home Depot - I wouldn't do this because I feel it's disrespectful to those shopping around me who may have issues with dogs.

I understand that you want to be courteous to those who may have a problem with dogs. (And to those who may be uncomfortable with guns.) That is admirable. But, given that the owner/managers of Home Depot don't have a problem with dogs in their store, do you want restrictions placed on dogs in HD by the state to protect the sensibilities of the few that may have a problem with it?

Would dogs in HD be OK if they were carried IWB? :lol2:

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    I understand that you want to be courteous to those who may have a problem with dogs. (And to those who may be uncomfortable with guns.) That is admirable. But, given that the owner/managers of Home Depot don't have a problem with dogs in their store, do you want restrictions placed on dogs in HD by the state to protect the sensibilities of the few that may have a problem with it?

Would dogs in HD be OK if they were carried IWB? :lol2:

No, I DON'T want restrictions placed by state. And yet again, it's my point. If you act responsibly and with courtesy, there's no reason for the state to get involved. I'm fine with Home Depot allowing dogs in. I wouldn't bring my dog in because I know there's people there who don't like dogs. You see, if we can all act like grown ups and simply respect each others opinions (this goes to the antigun crowd as well), we wouldn't need a mommy/daddy state to come in and break up the fights. Too many people on the far left/far right can't seem to comprehend that there are people who do NOT agree with them. Thus again - my "gun packing liberal" moniker. I really dislike the far left in that I'm very much a libertarian in many things. But I also dislike the far right in that I think corporate rule via true libertarianism is more dangerous than communism.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I don't think you take your dog b/c you are uncomfortable with your dog in public. If you trust your dog to mind itself in public you wouldn't care about how others felt. Same thing with your gun. If you were comfortable w/ everyone around knowing your armed you would carry open. I don't walk with my dog off a leash as a statement, I do it b/c my dog is well trained and I am comfortable walking w/o a leash. No one complains, they compliment how well my dog is trained. If there is a leash law in an area I use a leash, b/c its required.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    CPT Ethanolic said:
    No, I DON'T want restrictions placed by state. And yet again, it's my point. If you act responsibly and with courtesy, there's no reason for the state to get involved. I'm fine with Home Depot allowing dogs in. I wouldn't bring my dog in because I know there's people there who don't like dogs. You see, if we can all act like grown ups and simply respect each others opinions (this goes to the antigun crowd as well), we wouldn't need a mommy/daddy state to come in and break up the fights. Too many people on the far left/far right can't seem to comprehend that there are people who do NOT agree with them. Thus again - my "gun packing liberal" moniker. I really dislike the far left in that I'm very much a libertarian in many things. But I also dislike the far right in that I think corporate rule via true libertarianism is more dangerous than communism.

If you were true libertarian, then you would understand one party has the liberty/choice to pursue acts that are completely legal which may cause of the other party to be offended. ;)

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    If you were true libertarian, then you would understand one party has the liberty/choice to pursue acts that are completely legal which may cause of the other party to be offended. ;)

And which is also where I disagree with many other libertarians. I'm not 100% in any direction. All sides have things that I agree/disagree with. I'm all for keeping my rights/freedoms, but I also believe in NOT being a complete assh*le just because you can.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    CPT Ethanolic said:
    And which is also where I disagree with many other libertarians. I'm not 100% in any direction. All sides have things that I agree/disagree with. I'm all for keeping my rights/freedoms, but also believe in NOT being a complete assh*le just because you can.

Elitism?

It's an all to often occurrence where people wish to compromise rights away for the greater good..

Thankfully, bearing arms is no longer open to interpretation as it's an fundamental individual right.

The 2A has been compromised into an abomination that we have to fight for rights back in the courts today.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    Elitism?

It's an all to often occurrence where people wish to compromise rights away for the greater good..

Thankfully, bearing arms is no longer open to interpretation as it's an fundamental individual right.

The 2A has been compromised into an abomination that we have to fight for rights back in the courts today.

I am 100% behind the right to carry. Been carrying for 20 years (until moving to MD). This original discussion was open carry or not - my opinion was that open carry in places like grocery stores and in general public is needless antagonism of the anti-gun crowd that serves no purpose worth the headache. Too many people are obsessed with 100% victory vs finding an agreement where everybody is happy. You leave my right to carry alone and I won't have my .45 on my hip while you pick out your tomatoes. It's simple.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    CPT Ethanolic said:
    I am 100% behind the right to carry. Been carrying for 20 years (until moving to MD). This original discussion was open carry or not - my opinion was that open carry in places like grocery stores and in general public is needless antagonism of the anti-gun crowd that serves no purpose worth the headache.

That's your opinion...

I prefer to carry openly.

Our situations are most likely different, noone in a rural environment gets their panties in a wad unlike city/suburban folk.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    That's your opinion...

I prefer to carry openly.

Our situations are most likely different, noone in a rural environment gets their panties in a wad unlike city/suburban folk.

Exactly. And if you read through my posts, this is exactly what I said. When I'm in a rural environment or around just friends, I've always open carried. I used to work up on Mnt St Helens and we would open carry. I lived in the desert in Nevada for a while and open carry was the norm. No issue there. But, as I said, you start open carrying inside grocery stores in Bethesda, you are going to get anti-gun people riled up for no reason. My responses are based on my current situation of living in a city and I stand by my statement that open carry in many cities is a bad idea.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    MoCo Senator Brian Frosh's position EXACTLY

Exactly. And if you read through my posts, this is exactly what I said. When I'm in a rural environment or around just friends, I've always open carried. I used to work up on Mnt St Helens and we would open carry. I lived in the desert in Nevada for a while and open carry was the norm. No issue there. But, as I said, you start open carrying inside grocery stores in Bethesda, you are going to get anti-gun people riled up for no reason. My responses are based on my current situation of living in a city and I stand by my statement that open carry in many cities is a bad idea.

You wouldn't happen to be related would you ?

Attachments

• MPT CCW - Frosh (Email).zip
      1.6 MB · Views: 61

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    :innocent0

Attachments

• CPT.jpg
      CPT.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 91