• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    I dont have a concealed...and I know alot of people find open carry stupid - but I just want to exercise my rights once for the experience.

I wanted to hike Snead Farm Dick Ridge Loop.
    I want to carry my Mossberg Pump Action w/ a sling.

I've referred to these links.
    http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-279/
    http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-311.2/
    http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-282/

Specifically on the last link, does that mean when I have it on the sling and on my persons I should refrain from holding it with my hands to keep it from swinging around and stuff?

Just trying to be as safe as possible before I venture out to do so. I also will go during the week at an early time or so to avoid people.

I will say open carry unless hunting or in bear country doesnt serve a legitimate purpose as far as I know - but I'd still like to experience it.

Any advice/tips? I foresee some people saying not to do it anyway, so I'm ready for that as well lol.

Ty!
    ***Edit*** Additional question

I transport the firearm unloaded in the car separate from ammo (because I will be starting from Maryland) and then what....park in the late and load it up....and go about my way? It seems too good to be true lol.

Last edited:
    in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured

Pretty much the same as open carrying a fixed blade in Md.,if you don't act stupid or encounter an over zealous park ranger,you're gtg.(the latter is probable from my experiences)IANAL

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I used to open carry and see others open carrying in the George Washington National Forest. Federal lands go by the state laws that they are located in.

Just remember any federal building, including latrines and pit toilets, are gun free.

WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured

Pretty much the same as open carrying a fixed blade in Md.,if you don't act stupid or encounter an over zealous park ranger,you're gtg.(the latter is probable from my experiences)IANAL

If approached by a park ranger (I'd obviously keep my arms away maybe even folded over my chest so he could see I have no intentions of reaching for it), I'm going to assume hell ask something along the lines of if I own it, if I'm old enough, and the last question to answer "why".

I'm just carrying because its my right to? I dont want to come off as a douchebag....although the more I think about it the more it seems dbaggy lol.

Thanks for the answer

WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    I used to open carry and see others open carrying in the George Washington National Forest. Federal lands go by the state laws that they are located in.

Just remember any federal building, including latrines and pit toilets, are gun free.

Yeah I was reading into that, more specifically great falls park - but apparently rest rooms are not off limits, as they dont have no gun signs before the entry (specific to great falls)

But I also remember someone saying that it is illegal due to having to use the bathroom you have to unmount the gun off your persons.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Yeah I was reading into that, more specifically great falls park - but apparently rest rooms are not off limits, as they dont have no gun signs before the entry (specific to great falls)

But I also remember someone saying that it is illegal due to having to use the bathroom you have to unmount the gun off your persons.

Buildings that are staffed, visitors centers that also have bathrooms for example, are GFZ. A stand alone bathroom building is GTG.

WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    Hate to state the obvious, but you can "open carry" that Mossberg in MD.

Are you kidding or....

I dont feel comfortable enough to carry in MD - they are not a gun comfortable state. I get dirty looks loading up my SUV before the range......I guess I should get pelican cases rather than the one that outlines the gun :lol2::lol2:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

stand alone latrines are not off limits. The statute refers to federal faculties "regularly present" by Federal employees. A stand alone latrine does not fit that definition. As Stoveman noted, a bathroom inside a Federal building would be off limits.

It also must be clearly posted under the statute. If it is not, you are not in violation.

[FONT=&quot] Title 18, Sec 930 does stipulate the following
    (h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility.

There shouldn’t be any confusion as restricted buildings MUST BY LAW be “posted conspicuously” that weapons are not permitted. If it’s not posted, it’s not restricted (Unless you have been notified by an authorized person and asked to leave because then you've had "actual notice" under subsection H..

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Section G definition attached.[/FONT][/FONT]

This was taken from an NPS FAQ published after the NPS carry law was changed. FAQ attached
    [FONT=&quot].
    [FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
    [/FONT] [/FONT]

Attachments

• nps.jpg
      nps.jpg
      11.6 KB · Views: 292
    • National Park Carry FAQ.doc
      34.5 KB · Views: 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics