• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I store my primary self-defense weapon unloaded, no magazine, no cartridge chambered, safety on, with the crappy state mandated barrel (a/k/a "tampon" lock) inserted into the barrel, with a second trigger lock, a wire tie through the open slide, stored in a locked pistol box, stored inside a locked gun safe, stored inside a walk in closet with a biometric lock on the door, with frangible ammo stored in a separate locked box, in a separate safe, in the detached garage 200' away from the house. I do all of this for legal defense purposes so if someone breaks into my home and kills me my family won't have to read about how I was some kind of gun nut in the Baltimore Sun, and so if my wife is lucky to survive she can't get sued by the perp's family. I also lock up all the knives, golf clubs, and baseball bats before going to bed. I don't expect to be attacked often, but just in case I keep a couple of cold Dos Equis on hand for the perp to drink while I dial 911 on preprogrammed cell phone and wait for the police to arrive. Too each his own, what do you think I really do? :innocent0

ParadigmShift

Mar 29, 2013
    My gun is a single action only and no safety. So not one in the chamber for me. However, my husband has single action/double action gun so he wants one in the chamber. Gives us the best of both worlds there. However, I kinda agree too that letting them hear me rack the gun isn't such a bad thing. Warning without engaging is not such a bad thing if it makes them run away. If I don't have to make the truly big decision, I'd much prefer that route.

46and2

Aug 13, 2013
    PA
    I struggle with this decision too. It really does depend on my level of paranoia.

Quick story though..

The other night I woke up because I thought I heard something and I went to grab my .45. Well I tried really hard pulling the slide back and I had a great deal of difficulty doing this in a safe manner. My hands have a very weak grip right as I wake up. I'm a young guy and work in construction so it's not like Im weak or anything. Since then, more often then not, there is one in the chamber. I unload in the morning and switch to my carry.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Not chambered for me. I want them to hear me getting ready to ruin there day.

You give up a huge tactical advantage in 2 respects:

1. Letting someone know you are armed
    2. Letting someone know where you are

Most intruders will run. The one's who don't are much more likely to shoot at you.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You give up a huge tactical advantage in 2 respects:

1. Letting someone know you are armed
    2. Letting someone know where you are

Most intruders will run. The one's who don't are much more likely to shoot at you.

That's how I see it. They come into whatever area I'm in, put me in fear for my life and it's time to open up. No reason to alert them to where I'm hiding as I call 911.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Just so I'm clear...

Revolvers never fail, 5 rounds is sufficient for multiple assailants and compressed magazine springs fatigue. Right???

Let me get this straight, how many assailants do you plan on facing down in your home in the middle of the night? Do you live in Mogadishu? Perhaps Iraq?

However, I will grant you this: only a fool does not have backup plan.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    -- DISCLAIMER: The following merely represents a discussion on the pros and cons of detaining or shooting a suspect in your home. It does not constitute legal advice or a legal opinion. Every case is different and dependent upon the facts.--

Fair enough Tom although I'm interested in discussing this matter with a VA attorney (I am not licensed in VA). It seems odd to me that VA prosecutors would not have to establish the facts of the homicide beyond a reasonable doubt instead of, as it seems from your comments, establishing said crime at a lower standard (preponderance of the evidence?). Generally, you are correct that any self-defense claim entails as admission that the defendant committed a homicide and shifts the burden of proof upon the defendant to show that the homicide was reasonable and justifiable (hence legal). This principle is true regardless. I do not think that it is a question of whether one committed a homicide; rather, the question falls within the crux of my response to your question.

Per my response, an intruder in my home has two choices: surrender and wait for the cops or die. In other words, if an intruder enters my home, I plan to either hold the intruder at gunpoint in a surrender position until the police arrive or, if the intruder tries to resist, shoot the intruder. If the intruder flees before I can prevent the flight, then I cannot shoot the intruder in the back. However, I enter the situation with intention of preventing the intruder's flight by blocking any flight path. Thus, the intruder is placed in the position of attacking me and, quite likely, losing their life or submitting and waiting for the police. If the intruder attacks me, then I believe I am fully justified in shooting the intruder. If the intruder submits, then the police can take the intruder away. Is there risk in this calculation? Absolutely. Is this method of action advised by cops, firearms instructors, or any risk adverse person? Nope. Why? Someone might get hurt. However, on principle, I refuse to let anyone that invades my sanctum sanctorum simply walk away. I believe in fighting for the sanctity of a man's home and possessions.

You asked whether a home owner could pronounce a death sentence because an intruder broke in to steal possessions. My answer is an affirmative yes. I answered yes because ultimately my home is my castle and NO ONE has the right to intrude upon my sense of security and safety in my own home. Therefore, I believe that, as a matter of principle, I am well within my right to pronounce a death sentence on any intruder. As I have no duty to retreat within my own home (Maryland Castle Doctrine), I am well within my right to detain or shoot in self defense any intruder that poses a threat of death or serious bodily injury to me or my family. Someone in my home uninvited in the middle of the night poses a threat of death or serious bodily injury to me and my family should that person refuse to wait peaceably for the cops to arrive. In the end, at the murder trial, only one eye witness will be available to testify and he'll plead the fifth.

I now live in VA (Smith Mountain Lake, near Roanoke). Last week someone broke onto a house while the owner was there. They got shot. They died. No charges were filed. The news covered it in a 'matter of fact' tone. The message is clear: robbery is a deadly hobby.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I keep one in the chamber on all guns with the safeties off. I want to spend all of my efforts on determining if there is a threat, not on the mechanics of the weapon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Safeties are there for a reason. . . use them. :sad20: If you dont like mechanical safties get firearms without them.

beafly.cakes

Let me get this straight, how many assailants do you plan on facing down in your home in the middle of the night? Do you live in Mogadishu? Perhaps Iraq?

However, I will grant you this: only a fool does not have backup plan.

For me the magic number is three assailants.

-----------------------

You've been challenged to a street race tonight. You can take any car you want.

How about a Toyota Starlet? It's certainly one of the most reliable cars ever built. It can fail, but it's not likely. It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll finish the race.

Oh, by the way... the winner of the race gets to live tomorrow. The loser gets shot in the chest, and tied to a chair to watch his wife get raped and murdered while he slowly bleeds to death.

You can have your Starlet, I'll pass.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Safeties are there for a reason. . . use them. :sad20: If you dont like mechanical safties get firearms without them.
    One thing you can count on with safeties is that at some point they could fail. Therefore, you should keep pistols in holsters and keep your finger off of the trigger until you're ready to shoot. When I'm hunting, the safeties are off. When I'm walking to and from hunting locations, the safeties are on. At home, for self defense purposes, I see no reason for a delay or give one's position away by clicking the safety off (on the rifle and shotgun). My SIG and Glock do not have safeties.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    Isn't it already MD law that guns cannot be accessible to kids in the house if they are under the age of 15?

Under 16. However that restriction does not apply to a minor who has completed MD approved hunter safety training.

Edit: reading the law again, it states loaded firearm... implying to me you could leave an unloaded firearm sitting around the house...

Md. CRIMINAL LAW Code Ann. § 4-104

Annotated Code of Maryland

CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 4. WEAPON CRIMES
    SUBTITLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Md. CRIMINAL LAW Code Ann. § 4-104 (2013)

§ 4-104. Child's access to firearms

(a) Definitions. --

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Ammunition" means a cartridge, shell, or other device containing explosive or incendiary material designed and intended for use in a firearm.

(3) "Child" means an individual under the age of 16 years.

(4) (i) "Firearm" means a handgun, rifle, shotgun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun, as those terms are defined in § 4-201 of this title, or any other firearm.

(ii) "Firearm" does not include an antique firearm as defined in § 4-201 of this title.

(b) Exceptions. -- This section does not apply if:

(1) the child's access to a firearm is supervised by an individual at least 18 years old;

(2) the child's access to a firearm was obtained as a result of an unlawful entry;

(3) the firearm is in the possession or control of a law enforcement officer while the officer is engaged in official duties; or

(4) the child has a certificate of firearm and hunter safety issued under § 10-301.1 of the Natural Resources Article.

(c) Prohibited. -- A person may not store or leave a loaded firearm in a location where the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised child would gain access to the firearm.

(d) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $ 1,000.

(e) Effect of violation. --

(1) A violation of this section may not:

(i) be considered evidence of negligence;

(ii) be considered evidence of contributory negligence;

(iii) limit liability of a party or an insurer; or

(iv) diminish recovery for damages arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or operation of a firearm or ammunition.

(2) A party, witness, or lawyer may not refer to a violation of this section during a trial of a civil action that involves property damage, personal injury, or death.

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Train like you fight, fight like you train...

It's not about the time, it's about mindset and muscle memory. If you have to think, you very well may forget. It happens in real world combat, pretty sure it can happen in your real world location too.

Keep defensive firearms in a condition of readiness for their intended and planned use.

Kids=equals Eddie Eagle training or similar and biometric safes

Spouses, etc=classroom and range time for them too. Include their print file on biometric safe. They might be the one that saves your $&& during the CQC (close quarter battle) segment of the intrusion. The FBI stats prove that nothing ever good happens to those that surrender to the intruder.

Home defense is a "System", not an individual. Make a plan that includes everyone, and at least verbally practice the plan.

Very well put Chuck.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I actually had to think about this, as I always kept one in the chamber in all my guns that would be used in SD at home with the exception to my shotgun.

My guns are in an electronic safe by my nightstand and ready to rock. Someone made a great comment, that having to rack the slide gives you a bit of "hey wake up " and wakes up your dexterity.

The time it takes to rack a gun is what, 1 sec..so lets say you need 5 times that, that's 5 secs. If you have to fire within 5 secs of hearing an intruder you probably are screwed either way because you might not be able to access the firearm period.

I do like the fact that you force your body into movement by racking the slide.

I have since not kept one in the chamber. When I carry I do have one in the chamber.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I grew up in a house with loaded guns cocked and locked in every nook and cranny. It worked out ok for me, even though my older brother accidentally blew a hole through the house with a 6" Model 29 .44 mag.

Wow... that doesn't sound like it worked out ok to me.

Glad the rest of your story worked out. Sounds like you made a good call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom