• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    I understand the "one a month" rule on regulated firearms but I seem to remember reading or being told about a "two every sixty days" situation. Am I confused or is this possible in MD? If it is possible is it a general rule or does it apply to specific situations (i.e. collectors purchasing consecutive serial numbers or estate purchases or something like that)?

Thanks

David

6-Speed

Mar 9, 2009
    MD
    It is possible in MD. I purchased 2 AR lowers at the same time. I think there was a extra sheet or box that had to be checked saying it was a multiple regulated weapon purchase. I could not buy a regulated weapon for 60 days. Now that I am designated a collector by MD, the 1 every 30 (or 2 in 60) does not apply. Become a Designated Collector!

dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    It is possible in MD. I purchased 2 AR lowers at the same time. I think there was a extra sheet or box that had to be checked saying it was a multiple regulated weapon purchase. I could not buy a regulated weapon for 60 days. Now that I am designated a collector by MD, the 1 every 30 (or 2 in 60) does not apply. Become a Designated Collector!

I'm moving to CA in May (hence the question). I want to make sure I have everything I currently want to buy before moving there.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As 6-speed suggested, get your designated collector status.
    You can purchase as many as your wallet allows at what ever interval that suits your needs :)

What's involved download the form from the www.mdsp.org website, follow the instructions, have it notarized, put a stamp on the envelope, and send it in.

edit: what is nice, is that you can fillout one set of forms, for a bunch of firearms :D

dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    As 6-speed suggested, get your designated collector status.
    You can purchase as many as your wallet allows at what ever interval that suits your needs :)

What's involved download the form from the www.mdsp.org website, follow the instructions, have it notarized, put a stamp on the envelope, and send it in.

edit: what is nice, is that you can fillout one set of forms, for a bunch of firearms :D

I absolutely would do that but I'll be living in a different state by the time I'd get approved. I should have done it a couple of years ago when I moved here.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yes, as others have stated you can get two at once, then will have to wait 2x30 days.

Under special conditions (like inheritance) you can transfer even more at once... but if just stocking up most FFLs will allow only two at a time.

dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    Remember this only applies to "regulated" firearms.

Understood.

There is less pressure for me to get the unregulated ones as I have about 8-10 weeks to get what I want with no waiting periods (still looking for a nice 94 Winchester if anyone has one ;):D ). I should be able to get what I want in terms of regulated guns with the "2 at once" thing.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Remember that California's gun registration laws are much stricter than Maryland's, but CA does permit unloaded open carry statewide.

dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    Remember that California's gun registration laws are much stricter than Maryland's, but CA does permit unloaded open carry statewide.

Absolutely. I have been reading everything I can about the laws there and have taken advice from people on Calguns. In some areas it is just ludicrous (all mags not to exceed 10 rounds) but others are less of a hassle, e.g. unloaded open carry / transport or fit a Bullet Button and 10 round mag on an AR and it is considered just like an unregulated firearm.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Go ahead and do the collectors form, you never know, it might come through quicker than usual. It's free, and it can't hurt.

MH

dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    Go ahead and do the collectors form, you never know, it might come through quicker than usual. It's free, and it can't hurt.

MH

That's probably a good idea. I just noticed that in anti-gun California a private party to private party sale of a handgun is exempt from the "one a month" rule. They give with one hand and take away with the other :crazy:

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    That's probably a good idea. I just noticed that in anti-gun California a private party to private party sale of a handgun is exempt from the "one a month" rule. They give with one hand and take away with the other :crazy:

...yeah, but handgun transfers still need to go through an FFL? Correct? (In all States...)

dmacintyre

Jan 13, 2009
    ...yeah, but handgun transfers still need to go through an FFL? Correct? (In all States...)

Yes, but unlike here you can do it as much as you want. Plus the fees for doing so are fixed and reasonably low. It's obviously not ideal but it's also not as desperate as I thought it would be.

Otter

Sep 25, 2009
    David there is a continuation sheet that will allow you to add another handgun etc... to the purchase which will as you already gathered make you have to wait 60 days for another purchase. I just did this a month ago and then sent off my application to become a collector so I can eliminate this wait in the future.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IIRC, weren't you able to do multiple regulated transfers at once, same seven day wait, no 30 days issue, if you got a discount for doing more than one at a time? Someone want to quote the appropriate regulations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom