• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brass42ndspt

Feb 8, 2013
    First of all, hello to all at the Mdshooters board. I might have a solution to get cheaper brass (under .05c/cart) than the current approach. I might be interested in one of the much larger lots, but need considerable discussion on who does the bidding and how money transfers will take place. I have been watching this discussion of "group buy" progress and think we can work out a solution that accomplishes this goal. Approx $7k is my "group buy' limit, but details on both ends will have to be discussed. If interested, lets talk by tomorrow night. Tks, Tom

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    I think that pooling our resources and buying from some place else may be the way to go. Currently, in Alabama, there is this offering:
    http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6003708
    Rough calculations put this at 1.1 million casings, or .02 cents per case with the same amount of time left to run as the 1055 pounds in Mechanicsburg. Looking around the various places where brass is being bid on, it turns out that Mechanicsburg is getting a premium for their product. Probably because of all the wealth congregated around the DC area..
    It just seems to me it would make more sense to bid someplace where we may actually get our moneys worth. Get it cheap enough and the cost of freight would not be so bad.
    OB

Brass42ndspt

Feb 8, 2013
    I think that pooling our resources and buying from some place else may be the way to go. Currently, in Alabama, there is this offering:
    http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6003708
    Rough calculations put this at 1.1 million casings, or .02 cents per case with the same amount of time left to run as the 1055 pounds in Mechanicsburg. Looking around the various places where brass is being bid on, it turns out that Mechanicsburg is getting a premium for their product. Probably because of all the wealth congregated around the DC area..
    It just seems to me it would make more sense to bid someplace where we may actually get our moneys worth. Get it cheap enough and the cost of freight would not be so bad.
    OB

I Agree 100%. I am in under the right conditions...for 5.56 @ .02-.04c/cart approx $5000.00 worth. I have an idea using contract law that will protect ALL parties and their interest prior to AND after bid closing (even for participation as low as 10,000 cartridges). I don't want to affect this current Mechanicsburg bid AT ALL, and would have to at this late stage in the process, condition this for a future Bid). Discussion?? Tks, Tom

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    I'm in for a discussion Tom. Depending on the logistics, i.e. state of sale, another forum I am a member of has members all over the world. I think if we get enough people in to have a ready pool of funds to bid would be a great thing. Let me know
    OB

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I think a majority or people were looking for a $200-$300 or so share which is why the smaller, nearby lot appealed to the respondents over some of the better but far more expensive deals that I have seen pop up from time to time that are mostly ignored. Something like that lot in AL sounds like a great deal but the logistics involved are going to put many people off.

I don't have any experience with just about anything involved but in the interest of discussion, I might as well start a list of things that would need to be overcome for me to have any interest.

1. Brass price - As far as I can tell from my limited watch of these and as another gentleman stated earlier, these auctions are going off around $3-5/lb + 10% buyers premium which is about $.047-$.079 per case. Even if no one else bids, the AL lot is at ~$.037/case.

2. Taxes - Of course sales tax will need to be added but will we have an individual with a resale tax exempt number to add to the forms so that burden can be placed on the people buying the brass. Either way, I would think that is another 6% to bring our numbers to $.039 or $.050-$.084

3. Freight - Brass42ndspt wants to get paid, right? I haven't the foggiest idea what kind of money is involved there but 1500 mile round trip sounds like another 1500 in just gas and driver salary(7mpg, $4 fuel, $0.40/mile). I am sure he can fill in more details.

4. Shipping once procured - basic shipping should easily be taken care of by a few XL USPS Flat rate if needed for probably around 55-65/10,000. Out of country is a whole other animal with export licenses and what not and probably is out of the scope of what any of us is trying to do.

5. $35000-70000 is a lot of money(at least to me) that, unless someone with deep pockets is fronting, is going to come from many sources and should be protected with some sort of contract which should probably entail a lawyer involved somewhere. cost?

I am sure I missed an item or two but I do think it is worth discussing if for no other reason than for people to be better informed of the whole process

Brass42ndspt

Feb 8, 2013
    I don't want to affect this current Mechanicsburg bid AT ALL, and would have to at this late stage in the process, condition this for a future Bid). Discussion?? Tks, Tom

I'm in for a discussion Tom. Depending on the logistics, i.e. state of sale, another forum I am a member of has members all over the world. I think if we get enough people in to have a ready pool of funds to bid would be a great thing. Let me know
    OB

I think a majority or people were looking for a $200-$300 or so share which is why the smaller, nearby lot appealed to the respondents over some of the better but far more expensive deals that I have seen pop up from time to time that are mostly ignored. Something like that lot in AL sounds like a great deal but the logistics involved are going to put many people off.

I don't have any experience with just about anything involved but in the interest of discussion, I might as well start a list of things that would need to be overcome for me to have any interest.

1. Brass price - As far as I can tell from my limited watch of these and as another gentleman stated earlier, these auctions are going off around $3-5/lb + 10% buyers premium which is about $.047-$.079 per case. Even if no one else bids, the AL lot is at ~$.037/case.

2. Taxes - Of course sales tax will need to be added but will we have an individual with a resale tax exempt number to add to the forms so that burden can be placed on the people buying the brass. Either way, I would think that is another 6% to bring our numbers to $.039 or $.050-$.084

3. Freight - Brass42ndspt wants to get paid, right? I haven't the foggiest idea what kind of money is involved there but 1500 mile round trip sounds like another 1500 in just gas and driver salary(7mpg, $4 fuel, $0.40/mile). I am sure he can fill in more details.

4. Shipping once procured - basic shipping should easily be taken care of by a few XL USPS Flat rate if needed for probably around 55-65/10,000. Out of country is a whole other animal with export licenses and what not and probably is out of the scope of what any of us is trying to do.

5. $35000-70000 is a lot of money(at least to me) that, unless someone with deep pockets is fronting, is going to come from many sources and should be protected with some sort of contract which should probably entail a lawyer involved somewhere. cost?

I am sure I missed an item or two but I do think it is worth discussing if for no other reason than for people to be better informed of the whole process

Obii and HarCo,

Thanks for the reply. Lets wait for this Mechanicsburg bid to play out (if you guys are still bidding) before we discuss further on a new thread. I dont want to upset those participating in the current auction. I also have bids in for other Auctions running at GL. Looks like the current wholesale price all inclusive delivered to a single location for 5.56 will eclipse $.04/piece, 50% greater than recent past auctions. Tks, Tom

TimG

Aug 14, 2012
    At this point I feel the Mechanicsburg auction had passed our limits. I would suggest we move forward on other options. Impute ?

Brass42ndspt

Feb 8, 2013
    My calc's on your auction are as follows: $6700 current bid x min. 10% higher by close Tue@5pEST=$7370 + TAX + 10% GovLiq Commission = $8600 + $100 pick up Fee = $8700
    Value of 19 Ammo Cans (based on $14 new @ Widener's and Approx 60lbs of Wt) = $8434 divided by approx 986lbs Brass if all pieces are good X approx 70 pcs per LB = 69020 pcs OR $.122/pc. OUCH!!! TOM

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Agreed have this auction sending me updates and if all are agreed we should move on as this one has gotten "out of hand" was bidding then stopped, should be interesting to see just how high it will go, with everything going on now on the politics side. As far as the aggreement that was already addressed so the wait time was way less.. So what all being considered are we in agreement?

-Rock

sent via: 5 Little Fingers & A Phone

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Sounds like some workable ideas here. I would be in for some depending on price. Now to find the other components.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I Agree 100%. I am in under the right conditions...for 5.56 @ .02-.04c/cart approx $5000.00 worth. I have an idea using contract law that will protect ALL parties and their interest prior to AND after bid closing (even for participation as low as 10,000 cartridges). I don't want to affect this current Mechanicsburg bid AT ALL, and would have to at this late stage in the process, condition this for a future Bid). Discussion?? Tks, Tom

In for discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom