• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    According to a voice mail that I received from Don Dwyer, On Target's attorney has drafted a letter to the AG informing him that they will begin to follow MD law and release regulated firearms after the 7 day waiting period. Can anyone who has purchased from On Target confirm this?

Forthefunofit

Mar 25, 2013
    Ridgely, MD
    business is good!

I wonder if this will encourage other FFL's to follow suit? If not, there business should explode since ALL of us are unwilling to wait 2 months for what we should already have. I would like to see some proof of this.:party29:

LandinD

Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    that would be great if they do. I know the ffl I was at yesterday said that a lot of government employees were getting pissed about the 2 month wait and talking to their higher ups. The pressure had gone up the food chain and the ATF told the MSP that they would send as many agents as they needed in order to get it back down to the 7 day wait.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    that would be great if they do. I know the ffl I was at yesterday said that a lot of government employees were getting pissed about the 2 month wait and talking to their higher ups. The pressure had gone up the food chain and the ATF told the MSP that they would send as many agents as they needed in order to get it back down to the 7 day wait.

:lol2:

The feds would be looking at the MSP hard, while being "cooperative". :innocent0

jthoma24

Jul 25, 2012
    Arnold, MD
    According to a voice mail that I received from Don Dwyer, On Target's attorney has drafted a letter to the AG informing him that they will begin to follow MD law and release regulated firearms after the 7 day waiting period. Can anyone who has purchased from On Target confirm this?

I have two purchases sitting at On Target from Aprils 1st. I have not heard anything about this but you better beleive I will be stopping there after work. I will post what I find out.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I thought they had to have the NICS # per federal law?

Check put the threads talking about msp getting heat from fbi and atf. Ive done a good amount of research, including talking with ATF and MSP. The simple answer is no. Once the 7 day wait is satisfied, they have been compliant and followed all laws. The nics is not required to release the firearm. It is compliant with the brady act as well. I can give you email addresses and phone numbers of msp and atf if you need to confirm.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I wonder who would get blamed if a firearm was released to a disapproved person, the store for releasing early or MSP for taking too long? (of course they'd both get sued)

Who is responsible for retrieving the firearm if it finally comes back disapproved yet the person has taken possession?

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I thought they had to have the NICS # per federal law?

Nope. They (FFL) can transfer after getting an NTN or 3 days have elapsed since they have submitted the request to NICS or the NICS POC, after which they can release it in accordance with state law, which is 7 days.

Thing is, if a firearm is released to a person who should not be possessing one and they do something criminal with it, who is to be held responsible? I say the person who took the gun home because the paper they filled out was basically a sworn statement saying they could legally possess it when they knew they couldn't. ATF, MSP and the FFL were all in compliant with the law when they released it to the individual, but most FFLs will err on the side of caution and only release to known-good customers.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I wonder who would get blamed if a firearm was released to a disapproved person, the store for releasing early or MSP for taking too long? (of course they'd both get sued)

Who is responsible for retrieving the firearm if it finally comes back disapproved yet the person has taken possession?

ATF / MSP ask who you want it transferred to. I don't think they kick down your door to retrieve the handgun. Now if they see a lot of pressure cooker boxes on your curb for trash pickup.....

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The pressure had gone up the food chain and the ATF told the MSP that they would send as many agents as they needed in order to get it back down to the 7 day wait.

I don't know who told you that but it makes no sense. The ATF has nothing to do with NICS, it's run by the FBI. And they're going to "send" a bunch of agents? Who are going to what, come into MSP's office and help run computer checks or something for a program their agency doesn't even administer? Even if that were true I don't see where they would get the agents. I'm not snapping at you as I'm sure you are posting what you heard in good faith, it just sounds so ridiculous to people familiar with the process.

In any case I am glad On Target is starting this policy. :)

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Check put the threads talking about msp getting heat from fbi and atf. Ive done a good amount of research, including talking with ATF and MSP. The simple answer is no. Once the 7 day wait is satisfied, they have been compliant and followed all laws. The nics is not required to release the firearm. It is compliant with the brady act as well. I can give you email addresses and phone numbers of msp and atf if you need to confirm.

Thanks, no info needed. I believe you.

Nope. They (FFL) can transfer after getting an NTN or 3 days have elapsed since they have submitted the request to NICS or the NICS POC, after which they can release it in accordance with state law, which is 7 days.

Thing is, if a firearm is released to a person who should not be possessing one and they do something criminal with it, who is to be held responsible? I say the person who took the gun home because the paper they filled out was basically a sworn statement saying they could legally possess it when they knew they couldn't. ATF, MSP and the FFL were all in compliant with the law when they released it to the individual, but most FFLs will err on the side of caution and only release to known-good customers.

I can understand them wanting to cover there own A$$.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

MSP goes out and gets it. That's why they always take a first look at apps for immediate disapprovals within a couple of days of getting them, or at least they used to.

jthoma24

Jul 25, 2012
    Arnold, MD
    NEVER BUY FROM ON TARGET

So do we know yet if this is true? Is On Target releasing after 7 days?

I just went to On Target and asked if this was true. The had no idea what I was talking about and started yelling at me telling me I was smoking something. I have never been treated with such disrespect in a store. I will never be buying another firearm from On Target. :mad54:

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I just went to On Target and asked if this was true. The had no idea what I was talking about and started yelling at me telling me I was smoking something. I have never been treated with such disrespect in a store. I will never be buying another firearm from On Target. :mad54:

OUCH!!! guess it is time for someone to get a hold of Mr. Don Dwyer.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom