• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scratch

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 18, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thats funny that you say that, I thought the same thing because the ceiling tiles looked to be all shot up. I was told that this is from the security guard training that is given in the facility. They close down half the range and let them draw from holsters which results in a lot of shot up tiles!

Last month girlfriend & I went there to shoot and the security guard training was going on. Those guys were like the Keystone Cops - funny, in a scary sort of way.

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    I think it has to be more then that.

When the staff talked to another customer who was taking a picture,they made him delete it off his phone while the staff member watched. I feel like it's more than just stupid people but maybe a privacy concern.

That's a good possibility too, I wouldn't doubt it. Though I can't say I've seen them make someone delete the photo but yell at them plenty of times.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Last month girlfriend & I went there to shoot and the security guard training was going on. Those guys were like the Keystone Cops - funny, in a scary sort of way.

Do they still blow a whistle for them to start shooting?

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Do they still blow a whistle for them to start shooting?

They were doing that at MSAR last time I was there. A whistle every 30 seconds or so, the guards draw and fire one shot center mass and one to the head.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Their no photo policy stems from stupid people doing stupid things ie: friends having their friends taking their picture w/ a loaded firearm pointed at them and the camera

I think it has to be more then that.

When the staff talked to another customer who was taking a picture,they made him delete it off his phone while the staff member watched. I feel like it's more than just stupid people but maybe a privacy concern.

The rules page (http://ontarget.biz/rules/) states it is for privacy:

NO PHOTOGRAPHY IS PERMITTED WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FOR PROTECTION OF OUR CUSTOMERS’ PRIVACY

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    I'm still new at this and don't have much to compare it to, but I've been there 4 times now and my experience has been generally positive. The lighting is a bit dim but your eyes adjust after a few minutes. I've been lucky enough not to have any unsafe activity going on around me, but my visits have been in the morning and as Jack pointed out, that crowd seems to have their heads screwed on straight. All business, no sideways-shooting crap.

You might catch the occasional brass coming over the divider, but nothing that caused a problem for me.

Folks complain about their ventilation system; the only other indoor range I've been to is SCSC and theirs was much better. On Target's ventilation has been good enough for me, but I have noticed that if it's cold outside, it's gonna be cold inside too. Dress accordingly.

My only other comment is that maybe the employees should pay a little more attention to customers that are renting. Before I bought a pistol I rented from them to make a choice between 2 that I'd been shopping for. I told them that I was a new shooter, and I didn't even know how to load the gun or which lever was the saftey - a complete noob. I wanted any info they were willing to give on how to shoot safely. But it was busy that morning and the response was basically, "Here's the gun, go shoot." Take that for what it's worth, no one likes a know-it-all behind the counter but when a customer is asking for guidance, might be best to give it to them.

But with that said, I like the place and I'll be back again.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I could see some anti gun people trying to get pictures of people with evil guns. It is a good thing they don't allow those evil black guns. Think of the children. :D

Given the current attitude of many school districts in Maryland (mountain pop-tart gone wrong comes to mind), having a picture of a teacher in the background with a gun in his/her hand would surely be grounds for immediate termination. Remember, the other side doesn't play fair.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Been shooting there since 2004 and have bought an annual membership for the last 4 years. I've fired my 9mm Uzi and 9mm Marlin Camp 9, as well as a .22.

Staff is OK. After 20+ years in the Army, when I see a safety violation, I say something (although not sure that this is the smartest thing while the other guy is holding a firearm). Just a friendly reminder. With a smile.

I too don't like the flying brass coming over to my lane, but I can always back up a step too.

Bottom Line: Relatively inexpensive (especially if you get an annual membership and shoot ofter), let's you bring your own targets and ammo, and close to home.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Been a member there off & on for 10+ years. 15 min from the house. Weekday daytime seems to be the best time to me.

Security guard training reminds me of a B comedy. It could be funny if the pistols weren't real.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Been a member there off & on for 10+ years. 15 min from the house. Weekday daytime seems to be the best time to me.

Security guard training reminds me of a B comedy. It could be funny if the pistols weren't real.

HMm curious .what makes it a comedy

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I like it. My only complaint is that the lighting is a bit dim. As I recall, years ago you could light the paper target up but not anymore.
    The only pistil calibers they dont allow (that I know of) are 50AE and FN 5.7

mtb

May 24, 2011
    My only complaint is the lighting at distances shorter than 50 feet. The 50 foot lighting and further is great.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I used to go there but have since moved and use outdoor ranges. It wasn't bad for an indoor range, mostly friendly staff, tons of targets to choose from. It can be very crowded on Saturdays, as I once had to wait 4 hours to get a range for my wife and I. You do have some sideways shooting and the occasional range neighbor who shoots your target, but its mostly noobs or people who probably shouldn't be shooting. The latter was usually dealt with if the employees were watching.

captainstashu

Jan 26, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    1. They are inexpensive'

2, Cheaper with membership,

3. Cheaper than most ranges in Maryland.

4. Members can reserve a range and not wait on line.

5. Can shoot by the 1/2 hour, no membershio required.

6. Can rent guns

7. Ammo prices for range use are very reasonable.

8. You can use your own ammo.

9. You can't hear all the silly complaints with hearing protection on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom