• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    With a brush, you have no choice other than from the muzzle to the back. However, with a bore snake you can bring it through the barrel from the back to the muzzle.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    If you feel the need to remove some carbon/wax buildup, I would suggest a Patchworm (or make your own out of trim line). You pull a patch with solvent or oil from the forcing cone end.

I don’t think I’ve ever had the need to use a brush on a .22.

Alternately, use wipeout and pull a patch through.

Unless there is a specific need, I would not bother with a rod and brush on a .22 barrel.

ETA: I once had a smith 617 that I stupidly sold. I do seem to recall pulling a brush with some big 45 wrapped around it to clean lead from the forcing cone before I sold it. You can insert your rod, screw in the brush and pull it through. Just another option.

Last edited:

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    Otis has a small caliber (to include 22) cleaning kit that has a pull cable with attachments for a brush and patch holder that allows the back to muzzle direction. I prefer patches to see how clean I'm getting things but overall I think a bore snake does a better job than this kit.

J

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    For my rimfire pistols I use weed eater string and a proper size patch and solvent. It gets the job done nicely and when it gets gritty cut you off another piece. No fuss no muss

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom