• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    A year ago I got an old Winchester M12 trap gun for my grandson. He hasn't shot it much, and recently he and hos dad went to the range, and the trigger mechanism failed. Trigger now doesn't move forward and reset. I told him I'd get it fixed, but I wonder if y'all could direct me to someone knowledgeable about these older guns?

(It's one of the facy ones, with pretty wood, vent rib etc. I suspect most of the younger set may not have ever seen a shotgun older than themselves, and it deserves to be done right.)

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    Scotts Gunsmithing.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    The model 12 will slam fire so be careful that you don't work the action with the trigger stuck back and ammo in the tube.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I have a local guy who wa a machinist for 20 years, now a biomedical engineer, that works on a lot of my older shotguns. If you're interested, drop me a PM. He is NOT a gunsmith and I of course can not guarantee he can fix it, but he has put SxS's back on face, rebuilt parts, etc for me. Break-open and especially SxS shotguns is his specialty. He doesn't have a months long backlog, but also only takes on the ones he wants to, which is basically antiques and old shotguns. Let me know.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Nu-Line Guns is who you should get to fix it if you want the best with reasonable cost and by having a workman who is not learning as they go. Its not that others are incompetent its just what the mechanism is and who its intended to be used by.
    Other wise It could be anything from a broken firing pin, hammer/ sear trouble etc.
    The model 12 trigger will drop right out of the reciever by removing that small screw just behind the trigger bow.
    Once its out of the gun you can work the trigger pack if that what it should be called to determine if there are any other problems such as the slide release or another culprit hampering operation.
    The M12 has a trigger mechanism like a rifle with all the parts easily replaceable. The trigger pack -mechanism is also designed with a firing pin block system. A look at the hammer sear engagement without doing anything other than removing the trigger group will give you an idea becuase you can clearly see the operation. By removing the trigger group, it will also separate the main groups from others which will only help to distinguish ancillary and primary causes of the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom