• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Hey all I got this old revolver from Freestate and it was a rental so it needs some TLC and cleaning. I couldn't resist an old wheel gun for the price. The finish looks pretty good but there is some discoloration and maybe some light rust. Looking to clean it up and make it look good, but I don't wanna take away it's "historical look". Even though it's just a Brazilian Taurus :)

6c03edb9-ff99-1c4c.jpg

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You've got a very nice one. Most of its kin were/are beat to hell. Rust in some areas is common, especially concealed parts of the hammer when the hammer is down. It looks like the trigger might have a light coat of rust, too. It's nothing to lose sleep over. Use something very lightly abrasive. To me, even fine steel wool can be like a battle axe. Instead, start with a rough cotton cloth and Hoppe's #9. If that doesn't work, try a piece of newspaper that doesn't have too much ink or a piece of white printer paper, again with Hoppe's. Rub very lightly. Especially if there is pitting, don't expect to get every last tiny spot of rust off. The goal, IMO, is to get off as much rust as you reasonably can without damaging patina or finish, then apply a top-shelf rust protectant and inhibitor like Eezox or Ballistol.
    http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Damnit! Taurus.com is saying "no matches" for my serial number. Anyone have any ideas? I can PM my serial number if anyone has a hookup or idea. Dying to get info on this thing. Still don't know exact model.

DOH no need for PM, the # is visible on the picture. Haha oh well who cares.

Last edited:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    It looks like a model 80. Some were imported by Century one or two years ago. These guns were made about thirty plus years ago and went to a country other than the U.S. before (IIRC) Taurus established a holding here in Miami, FL. Perhaps that's why you can't find anything on it. If so, you'll have to go back further, to say 1980.

The translucent goldish/brown color on the hammer and trigger is an anodized finish Taurus utilized on those parts, there may have been a few other small parts that received that same treatment. So be careful not to remove that finish. Overall, these model 80's weren't a bad gun as they were built quite well. As alot of you know, I'm by no means a Taurus advocate.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I concur....It is a Model 80. It's a pre 1976 model, as I have found one purchased new in December 1976 with a serial of 8123xx.

Still looking to pinpoint.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I concur....It is a Model 80. It's a pre 1976 model, as I have found one purchased new in December 1976 with a serial of 8123xx.

Still looking to pinpoint.

The OP's gun is 478xxx, so it's quite old based on your above post, Joe.

The model 80 is basically a spinoff of the S&W model 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom