• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    I was recently given some old reloading equipment, an old Lyman press, Lyman powder drop, some bullets, some 4198 powder, a couple primers and what appears to be a yankee *press*? of some sort? I'm having trouble identifying it. Also what I believe might be some sort of early bullet puller?

Can anyone shed some light on this stuff? Mostly curious about the Yankee...press?...and this...bullet puller?

Does anyone think this powder is any good? One can smells somewhat like a Sharpie marker, the other doesn't smell like anything at all...

What about the primers?

y5uzara2.jpg

5enyreba.jpg

emy4uner.jpg

ejy6epyz.jpg

ety4u4a7.jpg

5ejy2eta.jpg

6uqahana.jpg

u9yha9yb.jpg

azepu9yb.jpg

Sent from my OG EVO running CM7.2

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I would use the powder to fertilize the lawn the next time it rains. Maybe someone wants the cans and load data manual on Gunbroker. Do not use the information in the manual. Powder manufacturers change the make up of their product over time. The bullet puller appears to be homemade. The Lyman press is probably still useful it it is 7/8 thread or there were more than the dies included. Hopefully the powder measure is all there and you can find a manual. Primers may be good but there are few (50>) of them and by the condition of everything else they weren't stored ideal conditions, probably chuck them as well.

All I can find about the Yankee press is that it may be from Yankee Specialty Co. of Erie Pa which also made molds.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/Yankee Moulds.pdf

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    From: http://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/Yankee Moulds.pdf

In the book Complete Guide to Reloading, Philip B. Sharpe, Page 216. Sharpe comments on Yankee
    tools. “ The Yankee tool, manufactured by the Yankee Specialty Company, is now built by W. Rohrbacher, 851 East
    6th Street, Erie, Pennsylvania.”

Yankee Specialty Company was started sometime in the mid teens. Mattern says in his book published in 1926 that
    Yankee had been producing tools for about ten years and that would place them starting about 1916 or so.
    Sometime prior to 1937, Rohrbacher took over the business according to Sharpe.

According to American Rifleman comments, correspondence from the company from 1941 through 1949 was not
    forthcoming. No reason was given. Then in the May 1954 American Rifleman a note was published: “Yankee
    Loading Tool, formerly manufactured by the Yankee Specialty Co. of Erie, Pa., is no longer available as the company
    is now out of business due to the death of the owner.”

A run of 38 years making good reloading tools and moulds and so few tools and information remains.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yeah, the above appears to be verbatim from the link I post without attribution.

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    Yeah I wont be using that manual, I have four or five current manuals now.

There's a few .308 and. 223 bullets ill be keeping, I will clean up the powder drop, it appears to be complete. Although I have a hornady powder drop, this might be nice to keep for whatever reason.

As for the powder, and primer I will probably toss them, but putting the cans and manual online probably wouldn't be a bad idea...

So I was correct then? That Yankee tool is a press right? Any chance I could get a couple bucks for that somewhere? Anywhere in particular?

The bullet puller is most likely worthless....

Sent from my OG EVO running CM7.2

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My guess, without having any kind of scale, is that the Yankee is a shotshell crimper. Maybe a roll crimper for paper shells but I can't see the head.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Very neat stuff.
    I have a similar antique Lyman which is the only one of my measures that is tight enough for W296 (it leaks our of the joints of my other measures).
    DocAitch

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Very neat stuff.
    I have a similar antique Lyman which is the only one of my measures that is tight enough for W296 (it leaks our of the joints of my other measures).
    DocAitch

Get a Redding BR.

bulletmen

Alpha Bravo Mfg
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hanover Pa
    The Lyman Powder measure is a good one. Doc is right.Clean it up and you will most likely be happy.
    When powder smells like solvent,it's time to use it for fertilizer.
    No smell and looks dry then give it the burn test.
    Of course,are you sure what is on the label is what is in the can ?
    If not sure of the source,then more fertilizer !
    \That might be a factory bullet puller,seems I saw one like it way back when.

The Lyman press takes 310 tool dies,fine thread,not standard 7/8 x14 (?) You can find dies at fun shows cheap sometimes.
    Good little press for pistol cartridges.

www.bulletmen.com

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    To impress yourself pour the powder on the ground and make a small trail leading to it. Light and stand back.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Lyman stuff isn't THAT old. It is orange. Older Lyman stuff, like my original turret press and power measure is gray.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    I've seen bullet puller like that before. The powder is lawn fertilizer, The primers are suspect. The equipment looks dusty but usable. My first powder measure is just like that one but grey (or gray). Be cafeful with the adjustments

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The Lyman stuff isn't THAT old. It is orange. Older Lyman stuff, like my original turret press and power measure is gray.

You too, huh! I thought I was the last gray dinosaur from planet Lyman!:poke:

lyman_zpsc0d9e880.jpg

Once you get used to the #55 measure's numbers not being anything other than a reference when using modern smokless & the 3-slide system it's a nice little measure.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    the grey ones were in between 70's vintage older than that they were orange, even older they were black but that is pre Lyman when they were just Ideal.
    The first 55 powder measures were orange but werent micrometer. That one could be newer than the grey ones but since it came with a Tru-Line Jr press my bet is older as that press was gone by the early 60's.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    That would make sense. I bought the kit with the Spartan press, #55 measure & case trimmer some time in the late 70's. The big powder resivoir & power trimmer shaft attachment came later.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I bought my Lyman turret press kit in about 1976 (gray).

Yes, I like the #55 powder measure. Works well. I removed the "knocker" and tap the stops twice in each direction for a consistant load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom