• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnCard

Jan 15, 2013
    I live in MoCo. This morning I'm dropping someone off at Reagan. Once I'm down there, I'm thinking of heading over to my usual range, Sharpshooters.

Are there any legal problems with this? I could imagine two:

1. transporting firearms and ammunition onto the airport grounds (though of course they will be separate - the one in the trunk, the other in the passenger compartment)

2. Transporting through Maryland and VA when I am not going straight to the range.

Thanks.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Strictly speaking and based on the information provided what you have proposed presents several legal issues.

First, there is a portion of the parkway on the way to Reagan National that is the District of Columbia. It is unlawful to possess a unregistered firearm and/or ammo in DC.

Second, you have suggested that you are not going directly to the range, one of Maryland's short list of permitted destinations for those without a designated collectors letter or Maryland Handgun permit. This too is a concern.

If it were me, I would try to find a way to mitigate the issues above.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I was picking up a M&P C.O.R.E. 9mm at a gun shop the other day. My wife called me while I was in the gun shop and asked my to drop by school and pick up my daughter from practice on my way home. No-can-do, honey. In another time, in the reasonable world of days gone by, no big deal. Those days are gone.

I suggest you do not take a chance. Even IF the law did not prohibit it, it's risky in today's political climate. For those who talk about driving the speed limit and not being concerned about being pulled over, etc., being involved in a wreck could change your situation.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Strictly speaking and based on the information provided what you have proposed presents several legal issues.

First, there is a portion of the parkway on the way to Reagan National that is the District of Columbia. It is unlawful to possess a unregistered firearm and/or ammo in DC.

Second, you have suggested that you are not going directly to the range, one of Maryland's short list of permitted destinations for those without a designated collectors letter or Maryland Handgun permit. This too is a concern.

If it were me, I would try to find a way to mitigate the issues above.

A quick read of the pertinent statute shows that nowhere does it say "directly", merely that the individual is enroute to a legal activity. Dropping off a friend at the airport enroute should not constitute any violation of state or federal statute.

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

The transport through DC however is a different story! Not sure what to think of that and not truly convinced that FOPA would protect you!

Finally, IANAL!!

JohnCard

Jan 15, 2013
    thanks for the information, and the advice. I share the mindset behind the latter - better safe than sorry. Even though it would save me an hour of driving, it's not worth the risk.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    A quick read of the pertinent statute shows that nowhere does it say "directly", merely that the individual is enroute to a legal activity. Dropping off a friend at the airport enroute should not constitute any violation of state or federal statute.

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

The transport through DC however is a different story! Not sure what to think of that and not truly convinced that FOPA would protect you!

Finally, IANAL!!

It depends on what the legal definition of "on the way to", "is".

I agree it’s ridiculous and contrary to the public interest, but I can easily picture an O'Malley appointed prosecutor arguing if one is "on the way" to the airport, they cannot concurrently be "on the way" to the range.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Maryland doesn't say 'directly' unlike California.

However, part of the route to National crosses through DC. I would avoid that like the plague.

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    I understand the code below as it is OK to have a cased firearm in a trunk with ammo separated from the firearm while traveling non-stop from MD to Reagan through GW parkway, which goes through DC.

IANAL

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/dc.pdf
    Page 5
    [..]
    You can not carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle in the District of Columbia. (See Note at Bottom of Sec)
    DC ST § 22
    -
    District of Columbia Official Code 2001 Edition
    Division IV. Criminal Law and Procedure and Prisoners.
    Title 22. Criminal Offenses and Penalties. (Refs & Annos)
    Subtitle VI. Regulation and Possession of Weapons.
    Chapter 45. Weapons and Possession of Weapons. (Refs & Annos)
    § 22
    -
    4504.02. Lawful transportation of firearms.
    (a)
    Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section.
    (b)(1)
    If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.
    (2)
    If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the firearm shall be unloaded.
    (c)
    If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:

(1)Unloaded;
    (2)Inside a locked container; and
    (3)Separate from any ammunition.
    Note:
    This is for transporting firearms through DC but if you are traveling and going through DC it is actually out of your way in most instances. I would not travel inside the Beltway around DC. The beltway is outside DC and is actually in the surrounding states but is a good boundary marker to keep from going into the District.
    If you stop in DC for any reason while transporting firearms you are no longer covered by Federal Law (Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 § 926 A) but fall under DC law and can be arrested and your firearms Confiscate
    [..]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the portion of the GW Parkway that is in DC It's on Columbia Island and is about a mile long. You can avoid it by using VA 110 by the Pentagon to RT 1 and then taking the exit to National Airport. This will avoiud Columbia Island.

Theoretically FOPA should protect you but a detour seems simpler. I do use Columbia Island when traveling to Alexandria while carryinmg but that's just me. Coluimbia Island has a small bridge at each end BTW. No signs telling you are in DC.

Attachments

• Columbia_Island_DC3.jpg
      Columbia_Island_DC3.jpg
      105.8 KB · Views: 283

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It is only legal to carry in the parking lot at National unless you are traveling. Do not enter the terminal

Handgun law says:
    Airport Carry:
    Terminal Off Limits. Parking Lot OK
    § 18.2
    -
    Metropolitan Washington
    Airports Authority
    Regulations
    § 8.4.
    An easy way to get to Rt 110 is take the Memorial Bridge/Arl Cemetery exit and then turn left towards the cemetery. There is a 110 exit just before the cemetery. Take110 to Rt 1 south to the Airport exit in Crystal City.

Last edited:

JohnCard

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for the helpful responses to my original question. I have another, similar one:

Has there been any clarification as to whether one must avoid stops going to or from a range? I want to go from my home in MoCo with handguns in the trunk to Sharpshooters in Lorton. From there I want to take the 495 to the 295 and meet a friend for lunch near the Anacostia Metro station. Afterward I would take the 295 North to the Beltway and a short hop on 495 West to Silver Spring.

1. Do any parts of that route pass through DC?

2. Should I be worried about making the stop on the way home?

WeiShen

Oct 7, 2013
    Ward 7
    Thanks for the helpful responses to my original question. I have another, similar one:

Has there been any clarification as to whether one must avoid stops going to or from a range? I want to go from my home in MoCo with handguns in the trunk to Sharpshooters in Lorton. From there I want to take the 495 to the 295 and meet a friend for lunch near the Anacostia Metro station. Afterward I would take the 295 North to the Beltway and a short hop on 495 West to Silver Spring.

1. Do any parts of that route pass through DC?

2. Should I be worried about making the stop on the way home?

:lol2:

1) Yes, a large chunk of it in fact. The 1st half of your 295 trip as well as the anacostia metro station, and local areas are WELL WITHIN the district. Even driving through DC with shell casings, let alone entire firearms, even while conforming to FOPA, is totally inadvisable and can get you executively ****ed. Though you can argue FOPA if you have a non-stop A to B trip that just goes through DC, most people would not touch your Itinerary with a 10 ft pole. its just not worth it. :sad20:

2) If your stop is in MD/DC, then yes. This would be a crime.

There is a general consensus that the safest way to stay well within the law when transporting firearms is to go nonstop from A to B when traveling in MD to the approved list of places. Yes, it is a major annoyance and sometimes you have to plan your day around your trip - it just plain old sucks. Maybe meet your friend in VA?

You can breathe easy in VA, A̶s̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶e̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶o̶a̶d̶e̶d̶ you may transport and stop. They don't even go so far as to say it must be in a holster, just "securely wrapped." (whatever that means. M&P9 wrapped in tin foil?). Unloaded and in a case is a safe bet, though it doesn't need to be unloaded.

See VSP Handgun Transport Guidelines : http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#Permit_Not_Necessary

A permit is not required in the following circumstances....

...10) Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

Last edited:

JohnCard

Jan 15, 2013
    Swinkour - the OP was July but I posted again last night with a new but related query - I didn't think it needed a new thread.

Weishen - thanks for the information and advice.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Oh Ok.

VA allows you to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle glove box, console or openly visible, even on your person. without a permit.

There is nothing in the MD statute about direct travel. Best to try to do that but a stop is not prohibited under the MD statute. DC is a different story. Don't do it IMO.

IANAL

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

To summarize & simplify the responses & choices are:

#1. Spend an extra hour making 2 trips...

OR

#2. Spend a day in Jail & then $$$$ on Lawyers to try to get your guns back...

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    It depends on what the legal definition of "on the way to", "is".

I agree it’s ridiculous and contrary to the public interest, but I can easily picture an O'Malley appointed prosecutor arguing if one is "on the way" to the airport, they cannot concurrently be "on the way" to the range.

Exactly, and this illustrates a point on another thread in which a member felt that laws/regs weren't written poorly on purpose. I disagreed , stating that vagueness IS the intent, giving the enforcement authorities widest interpretation of the laws/regs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom