Ok here is a new one, must lock the gun case when picking up a new handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Ok today my mother went and picked up her new pistol as she received her not disapproved email.

She went to the gun store and the gun store told her the state police are now requiring that the case the gun in must be transferred and taken out of the shop with an external lock. Now I am getting this third hand, my mother being told by the gun gun what the SP said. The Sp maybe even be saying the person has to buy a lock if they dont have one. What the shop did was to "give" her the lock and have it locked per what the state police said. Then they said take the gun to her car and please then unlock and bring the lock back inside to them.

Has anyone else had anything said to them?
    No I wont name the shop openly, as they did what they can to follow what they are being told to do. But only as far as they have to and not any further and I dont want to cause a problem for them. PM me if you really want to know.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The statute says the lock must be with the gun. It does not even specify being installed on the gun.

Somebody is foolin about

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I just called another shop they have not heard anything like this. The shop in question is in Baltimore county so it maybe a county police thing and they misspoke or my mom heard it. She could have just heard police and thought state police.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Yes I have heard of this exact scenario. Good news is they didn't try to force her to buy a lock that they so happen to sell there.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    That would be the last time I bought anything from that shop… I know it was your mom and not you OP but still. Maryland has enough asinine laws for shops to make up their own rules.

And if the county is mandating or encouraging shops to do that, then f them too. So sick of hearing about FFLs in this state adding on to what we already have to deal with.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Ok just spoke to her. It was not locked on to the case.

It was a different lock that the state police are requiring, not like the lock that came with the gun. They said the the SP dont like the lock that came with the gun, she "had" to "get" one of these locks. They said they dont like the lock the SP required and its expensive. So they gave it to her to carry on the case to her car, not attached to. Then had her walk back in with it. It was new in the package and she does not even think its ever been opened.

My father goes to the same shop tomorrow to pick a pistol up, if they do the same thing he is going to take a pic of it.

edit the pistol was a walther pdp f which came with a substantial cable lock.( i have one they are not chinzy )

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

It was a different lock that the state police are requiring, not like the lock that came with the gun. They said the the SP dont like the lock that came with the gun, she "had" to "get" one of these locks. They said they dont like the lock the SP required and its expensive. So they gave it to her to carry on the case to her car, not attached to. Then had her walk back in with it. It was new in the package and she does not even think its ever been opened.

My father goes to the same shop tomorrow to pick a pistol up, if they do the same thing he is going to take a pic of it.

Ah. It’s the “internal locking device” deal. Basically a bore lock. I though that had been shelved due to Covid availability. In that case, the shop did her a solid by not making her buy something that will just collect dust.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

edit the pistol was a walther pdp f which came with a substantial cable lock.( i have one they are not chinzy )
    Oh, yeah a bore lock. MSP changed that in, what? The last year or two? They are accepting regular cable locks now. It used to be that only bore locks were acceptable. As of yet, I have never bought a gun and been required to have a bore lock. Though most guns I've bought have predated the requirement under the law, or been old enough no one bothered to check the serial number to see if it might be old enough (a couple were made in the 90s and I think were above the date range). All of my "new" handguns have been serialized frame only and I built them. I just carry a cable lock in my jacket pocket in case anyone bothers to give me grief about what I am buying.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Ah. It’s the “internal locking device” deal. Basically a bore lock. I though that had been shelved due to Covid availability. In that case, the shop did her a solid by not making her buy something that will just collect dust.
    ^^^^^^^

This

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Yeah I thought it might have been the internal lock issue. But I thought pretty much all locks from decent makers now where accepted.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I am guessing the law has changed since the last couple I picked up, nobody mentioned a bore lock. Before that, they would hand me one off the rack and ask me to bring it back in after I put the gun in my car, although I use to carry one with me so that wouldn't be an issue.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Were locks required when you picked up your pistol in 1791? ;)

I think we are only stratching the surface when it comes to implementing Bruen.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

I witnessed this exact same scenerio happen at a Gunshop in Whitemarsh (with a range) Had someone go out to the parking lot, leave the gun in the car, and bring the lock back. That process seems like a bad bad idea, forcing someone to leave a gun unattended like that

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Ok today my mother went and picked up her new pistol as she received her not disapproved email.

She went to the gun store and the gun store told her the state police are now requiring that the case the gun in must be transferred and taken out of the shop with an external lock. Now I am getting this third hand, my mother being told by the gun gun what the SP said. The Sp maybe even be saying the person has to buy a lock if they dont have one. What the shop did was to "give" her the lock and have it locked per what the state police said. Then they said take the gun to her car and please then unlock and bring the lock back inside to them.

Has anyone else had anything said to them?
    No I wont name the shop openly, as they did what they can to follow what they are being told to do. But only as far as they have to and not any further and I dont want to cause a problem for them. PM me if you really want to know.
    I was thinking it must be Worth-A-Shot until you said they offered to let her borrow a lock instead of charging her for one.

Oh3

Jan 2, 2016
    Carroll Co
    The only time I experienced that was a shop in Baltimore County. They lent me one to get it to my vehicle where I locked it in the vehicle and brought the lock back inside the store to give back. First thing I thought of was the possibility of smash and grabs is a bad guy was watching for this. Never bought there again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom