• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    An excellent write up (thanks to Paul S @ calguns) on Yahoo! but authored by Lyle Denniston (ScotusBlog) on Supreme Court reluctance to delve into the 2A issue...

Constitution Check: Is the Supreme Court only willing to work at the fringes of the Second Amendment?
    http://news.yahoo.com/constitution-check-supreme-court-only-willing-fringes-second-101205772.html

A well-written article IMHO. :thumbsup:

Depends what the "fringes" actually are? Certainly the DC and Chicago handgun bans were the only ones of their type, however the public carry issue, at best would affect only eight states I believe (and some like CA, not really the whole state)?
    Perhaps more splitting necessary, otherwise if they want the actual fringe fringe, then they'll be waiting for Palmer.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Part of the punishment of a felony is the loss of certain rights, it isn't just happenstance. The debt isn't fully paid after a prison sentence.

Hum this has real issues under limited gov theory. Rights do not come from government.. so gov can't take them. It does not have the power. Now privileges those they can take...

This is not clear cut.... imho

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    Hum this has real issues under limited gov theory. Rights do not cone from government.. so gov can't take them. It does not have the power. Now privileges those they can take...

This is not clear cut.... imho

How does that apply while incarcerated?

osterizer

Mar 9, 2013
    My single item, which will make me no friends I'm sure, would be CCW for all that are not prohibited along as one submits to:

- criminal background check (we already do this for transfers)
    I don't know if I agree with this, but I can agree that if you have a history of hurting people, then we don't want you to have more tools. So maybe I'm OK with this. I really need to think about it more.

- live fire for any gun you CCW (new law states live fire now anyway)
    - vision screening* (same as when getting a drivers license)
    - X hours of continuing education firearm safety training (applies to most other licensing boards)
    - re-qualify on above every 3 years for same fee for drivers license
    No. All of these ask me to prove that I've a right. The 2A doesn't say that owning weapons is an entitlement. It says that it is a right that I have intrinsically-- I don't need to prove it to you or the government. I don't mean to be adversarial, but these are all garbage. I have a right to keep and bear arms, and noone can sign off on it. It just is. In order to take that right away, you have to prove I shouldn't have it through due process of law, not the other way around.

Brooklyn et al., please let me know if there's someplace I can help out. I'd like to be more involved with this, but I have constraints on my time.

I don't think that we're going about this correctly. The problem that we have is that governments are digging deeper and deeper into our private lives. It isn't just 2A issues, but rather that we're allowing the federal and state governments to do things we didn't tell them they could, and we're not stopping it. If we were allied with other organizations trying to stem this, we'd make a lot more progress than we are now.

Thanks.

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    Incareration is not permanent. Problem is one of free vs not free.

Consider the mischief the gov could get up to..

We are seeing it now...

Very slippery slope....

Felony restrictions can be lifted though

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Felony restrictions can be lifted though

Not under current law.. But that's a trap set by the democrats that the court is so far refusing to force-- it results in a denial of substantive due process.
    Until this is resolved I am forced to appose all such restrictions as the current catch -22 is indicative of the dangers.

They play hard ball and we play hard ball back -- or we lose.

The admin procedure to restore rights (under ATF ) is not funded. Access to article II courts is denied since the Admin process has not been exhausted, but it can not be exhausted until it is funded, and it will not be funded as long as the democrats hold at least one chamber of congress or the white house.

This is who we are playing with -- the whole thing must go or it will be a very slippery slope indeed. Maybe some day we can teach them good faith but I doubt it.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I don't know if I agree with this, but I can agree that if you have a history of hurting people, then we don't want you to have more tools. So maybe I'm OK with this. I really need to think about it more.

No. All of these ask me to prove that I've a right. The 2A doesn't say that owning weapons is an entitlement. It says that it is a right that I have intrinsically-- I don't need to prove it to you or the government. I don't mean to be adversarial, but these are all garbage. I have a right to keep and bear arms, and noone can sign off on it. It just is. In order to take that right away, you have to prove I shouldn't have it through due process of law, not the other way around.

Brooklyn et al., please let me know if there's someplace I can help out. I'd like to be more involved with this, but I have constraints on my time.

I don't think that we're going about this correctly. The problem that we have is that governments are digging deeper and deeper into our private lives. It isn't just 2A issues, but rather that we're allowing the federal and state governments to do things we didn't tell them they could, and we're not stopping it. If we were allied with other organizations trying to stem this, we'd make a lot more progress than we are now.

Thanks.

Get as many folks to join msi as possible --

https://marylandshallissue.com

at least the mailing list

we need numbers.

And you are right about the general problem ACLU helps on some issues...

EFF Cato institute Google an issue and an organisation will pop up :)

Reason magazine is a good source to I think --

And thanks for steeping up --- we need many to some, not just the few to do much..

Whatever you can do to help will be appreciated-- and again numbers is key

10k in lawyers mall -- 20k would be better :)

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    We can do that, but would like more than paying someone else to carry my pack :)

We need you to do all you can...

We have a gun show event coming up -- watch this space...

After you do one event to learn the ropes talk to Mr H and he will find you a job :)

I am working recruiting every where I go, but talk to Mr H and see --

If you want to we can meet somewhere and you and I can work a shop...

Freestate is my next stop on the whistle stop tour...

Need more flyers :)

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Do you have any special skills? IT, writing, graphic design, GIS mapping, statistical analysis?

18+ years experience in Computers/Networking/lan/wan engineering and network security, plus other general stuff

I've done some amateur writing - stuff for the Linux Journal, stuff you see 'round here, etc.

I'm willing to help MSI if those skills are in need.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Someone explain what positive action will occur by putting 10k people in lawyers mall? Short of making a presence know how will it get legislation passed to help our rights? I bet this last session we had over 20k letters, emails, faxes sent. It still passed.

Does anyone have any ideas other then the 10k? Something that creates an offensive push.

Lgoc is the only thing I can think of.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Someone explain what positive action will occur by putting 10k people in lawyers mall? Short of making a presence know how will it get legislation passed to help our rights? I bet this last session we had over 20k letters, emails, faxes sent. It still passed.

Does anyone have any ideas other then the 10k? Something that creates an offensive push.

Lgoc is the only thing I can think of.

It will need to be a broad-based, coordinated effort. Everyone will be asked to pitch in somehow.

but...

Necessarily, details will be some time in developing, and releasing them will be done carefuly.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    It will need to be a broad-based, coordinated effort. Everyone will be asked to pitch in somehow.

but...

Necessarily, details will be some time in developing, and releasing them will be done carefuly.

Please do not take this as me being a smart alec. But this post sounds similiar to many others. Just get people down there...... and the ....... never is filled in. Obviously I understand publishing a detailed plan online is foolish but no one has said anything else except, lets just show up.

Short of bringing pitchforks, tar and feathers, they have displayed an unwillingness to care.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Please do not take this as me being a smart alec. But this post sounds similiar to many others. Just get people down there...... and the ....... never is filled in. Obviously I understand publishing a detailed plan online is foolish but no one has said anything else except, lets just show up.

Short of bringing pitchforks, tar and feathers, they have displayed an unwillingness to care.

We know we are monitored on the boards. It's nothing against anyone here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom