• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    Match Description
    Sniper/Spotter team match: Each shooter will need a minimum of 40 rds rifle and 40 rds of pistol ammo. The shooters, one with a precision long range rifle and the other with a semi-auto precision rifle. Both will need pistols and holsters. A pack and anything else you need to shoot should also be brought. No laser range finders. Shooter will engage target from 0 to 600 yards, mostly steel. Many stages will be timed. This is going to be a team scored event. The two shooter will have to work together on several stages. You should know your partner and his weapon. This match is going to be limited to 10-12 teams. Each team will run the entire course of fire alone. Their may be a lot of down time depending on when you are scheduled to start. Plan on being at the range for most of the day. Their may be another event going on at the pistol range during the down time.
    The match will be held at Mayberry GPA between Taneytown and Westminster.
    Date and Time
    Sunday February 20 2011
    8 am first team starts.
    This will be a staggered start and the order will be randomly drawn after registration.
    Sponsors and prize table
    This match is going to be luck of the draw type prize table. All shooter will have an opportunity to go home with prizes regardless of their score in the match. The sponsor list for this event has grown to some of the larger and well knows company’s in the country. We already have donations from Manners Stocks, Tab Gear, FNH, McCree Precsion, Rite in the Rain, Accu-Shot, Badger Ordanance, Wilson Combat, and Predator Custom Shop. This will be like shooting a match and buying a raffle ticket.
    Entry Fee and Payment info
    Entry for each team will be $100 paid pay check to MGPA. After Registration on December 1st your team will be notified via email if you made it in to the match. Payment will be due before January 1st or your spot will be offered to the first team on the waiting list.
    Registration
    Registration will be open at 8 pm on December 1st. An email address will be posted on a new thread under the competitive shooting section. Based on email time stamps the first 10-12 teams will make it in and a list after that will be made if anyone backs out.

Last edited:

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    This sounds like a TON of fun.

Any caliber/rifle restrictions? Or velocity caps?

How will ranges be established? Will we have to
    mil targets or are rangefinders allowed?

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    velocity caps?

Yes, there is a velocity cap. It is currently 983571056.43045 fps, but we are considering increasing this limit :lol2:

All kidding aside, I think that the same rules governing the other precision rifle events at Mayberry will be in effect, which is, put simply, if you can carry it the whole day with you, you can use it. In other words, you want to carry a Tac-50 or Barrett 82, you can use it. I would assume the same thing goes with lasers.

Last edited:

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    I wasn't joking about the velocity cap. I know numerous tactical/practical matches have started implementing velocity caps because guys were shooting things like a 6mm Crusader which shoots a 115 DTAC (.585 BC) at 3300fps from a AICS mag.

Alright, however I'd like to hear about the lasers and velocity from a match organizer just to be 110% clear.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yes, there is a velocity cap. It is currently 983571056.43045 fps, but we are considering increasing this limit :lol2:

All kidding aside, I think that the same rules governing the other precision rifle events at Mayberry will be in effect, which is, put simply, if you can carry it the whole day with you, you can use it. In other words, you want to carry a Tac-50 or Barrett 82, you can use it. I would assume the same thing goes with lasers.

In our past Tactical matches we've limited the caliber to the maximum of .300 Win Mag. Anything above that does wonderful (devastating) things to the steel targets. Anything up to that caliber should be fine to the best of my knowledge.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I wasn't joking about the velocity cap. I know numerous tactical/practical matches have started implementing velocity caps because guys were shooting things like a 6mm Crusader which shoots a 115 DTAC (.585 BC) at 3300fps from a AICS mag.

Alright, however I'd like to hear about the lasers and velocity from a match organizer just to be 110% clear.

Well 5.56 M193 is running 3280 fps at the muzzle of a 20" barrel. What kind of energy (in foot-pounds) is your Crusader producing???

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The high speeds delivered by some rounds can cause damage to AR-500 that is far out of proportion with it's actual (kinetic) energy.

These is some phenomenon that occurs when we exceed 3,000 fps impact velocity that damages the abrasion resistant surface. IOW, one can pock-mark high quality steel plates with a .17 Remington, .220 Swift or similar, that will completely resist a .300 WinMag or .338 Lapua - been there, done that, have the damaged plates.

Have also seen steel damage by plastic-tipped bullets (A-Max & Nosler BTs) and Lapua 155 Scenars that does not occur with similar bullets like SMKs.

OBTW, Laura & I (Team Shell) are also interested in shooting this comp!

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Very cool. I will leave my Tac-50 at home - damn thing is tough on my back anyway - and instead bring my .223 :)

Team Shell sounds like the early favorites.

trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    This sounds like a TON of fun.

Any caliber/rifle restrictions? Or velocity caps?

How will ranges be established? Will we have to
    mil targets or are rangefinders allowed?

Yes, 300 Win Mag is the highest and no laser range finders. You may have to range one or two targets. Most of the yardage will be given.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The high speeds delivered by some rounds can cause damage to AR-500 that is far out of proportion with it's actual (kinetic) energy.

These is some phenomenon that occurs when we exceed 3,000 fps impact velocity that damages the abrasion resistant surface. IOW, one can pock-mark high quality steel plates with a .17 Remington, .220 Swift or similar, that will completely resist a .300 WinMag or .338 Lapua - been there, done that, have the damaged plates.

Have also seen steel damage by plastic-tipped bullets (A-Max & Nosler BTs) and Lapua 155 Scenars that does not occur with similar bullets like SMKs.

OBTW, Laura & I (Team Shell) are also interested in shooting this comp!

Regarding the 6 mike mike Crusader, you indicated sorta what I was thinking with that velocity, weight, and small diameter projectile; alotta poop on a tiny point= Major Smell. :lol2:

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    The 6mm Crusader is only 2780ft/lb of energy, but Ed is dead on, small caliber hyper velocity rounds can damage ar500, heck I took a chuck out of my buddy's ar500 with a 208gr A-max from my .308win. Plastic tip bullets also seem to increase damage..

Also, just to clarify, the 6mm Crusader was developed by GA Precision, not me, I don't even own one. I just heard of guys complaining about not being allowed to use it due to a velocity cap.

I heard of a guy shoot through a thin piece of ar500 at 150yards with a ballistic tip from a 22-250, word of mouth don't know if it's true but I believe it based on what I've seen.

Ok well .300 win mag cap means no putting my 30" barreled 300 ackley mag in a tactical stock :D

ok so no rangefinders... I am a long range hunter and f-class shooter so am not really set up to mil targets. My scope is a mil dot reticle but 1mil increments and just plain dots (not precise).

One more question, the pistol and pistol ammo, is that for the inbetween matches while we wait to run the course or is it part of the actual course?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    .....ok so no rangefinders... I am a long range hunter and f-class shooter so am not really set up to mil targets. My scope is a mil dot reticle but 1mil increments and just plain dots (not precise).
    Your mildot scope can be used to good effect here. Everything is inside 600 yards and the exact range (within 2-3%) is not that critical this close.
    One more question, the pistol and pistol ammo, is that for the inbetween matches while we wait to run the course or is it part of the actual course?
    The rifle ammo is needed for the course, as is the pistol ammo. We have had stages where we transition from rifle to sidearm, and some pistol only stages in the past. If it occurs, any informal fooling around on the pistol range will require extra ammo beyond the round counts stated above.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The 6mm Crusader is only 2780ft/lb of energy, but Ed is dead on, small caliber hyper velocity rounds can damage ar500, heck I took a chuck out of my buddy's ar500 with a 208gr A-max from my .308win. Plastic tip bullets also seem to increase damage..

Also, just to clarify, the 6mm Crusader was developed by GA Precision, not me, I don't even own one. I just heard of guys complaining about not being allowed to use it due to a velocity cap.

I heard of a guy shoot through a thin piece of ar500 at 150yards with a ballistic tip from a 22-250, word of mouth don't know if it's true but I believe it based on what I've seen.

Ok well .300 win mag cap means no putting my 30" barreled 300 ackley mag in a tactical stock :D

ok so no rangefinders... I am a long range hunter and f-class shooter so am not really set up to mil targets. My scope is a mil dot reticle but 1mil increments and just plain dots (not precise).

The pistol portion is a nice fill-gap and to the best of my knowledge will be shot on the pistol range independant of the rifle range. The handgun portion and subsequent scoring will be an integral part of the match aggregate. By far, if not all, will be using duty type sidearms in 9, 40, or 45. So for both members of the team this will be a 2 gun shoot. I would recommend bringing at least 3 mags for the handgun portion of the match. If you haven't attended a Tactical match at Mayberry in the past, this is a fun event and I think you'll enjoy this:thumbsup:

trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    To answer the pistol question, yes you will need a pistol for the event and yes their may be an additional side match or just fooling around on the pistol range in between teams. As we get closer all the details about the down time between teams will be answered.

trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    Will the targets for the carbine part be seen with iron sights?
    It depends on how good your eyes are.:rolleye12
    A scoped AR or other semi-auto platform is advised. If this first one goes well we might run an iron or red dot spotter in the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom