Official February 6th day of event thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    I am amazed at the depth of integrity, honesty, commitment and perseverance from all those that attended this essential get together, amazed but NOT surprised.

Great Big Thanks to KD999 (who only has 32 posts) for his considerable effort and eloquence in recalling the events of the day. If I could, I would award you at least 18 more posts so that you could view the Water Cooler. Again, Thank You !

r3tiawr3yd, another Big Thanks for your photography, it told a story for all those who couldn't attend and you told it well. Your brother who also who braved the cold and also told the story deserves a Big Thanks also.

Not to omit...... smokey0118, great pictures and Thank You also....

ananab33

Feb 6, 2013
    Parkville, MD
    I heard that one can watch/listen to the testimonies given somewhere online, does anyone know where that might be? I wasn't able to get into the overflow areas and had to leave around 3:00, but I really want to hear what was said. I'm still looking around on the mgaleg website but not having much luck.

BTW, It felt great to look around see what democracy truly looks like, and to also see that so many people feel as strongly about this as I do.

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    I am amazed at the depth of integrity, honesty, commitment and perseverance from all those that attended this essential get together, amazed but NOT surprised.

Great Big Thanks to KD999 (who only has 32 posts) for his considerable effort and eloquence in recalling the events of the day. If I could, I would award you at least 18 more posts so that you could view the Water Cooler. Again, Thank You !
    Thank you!! It was a great day to be both a Maryland resident and 2nd Amendment proponent. I am especially glad that I was able to take my 15-year old son as he was out of school. We both enjoyed ourselves.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    A big thank you to everyone who made it out there today.
    It looks and sounds like the community was well represented.
    All of you guys have kept me motivated to keep sending out the emails.

And sorry I got stuck at work. Would have loved to have been there.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Thank you to all who made it today. I got into Annapolis just as it started backing up onto 50 (9:45?). They had the access to the stadium street shut down so I wandered around until I found pay parking. By the time I got down to the rally they said they had stopped accepting oral testimony. And after the rally, it was **CLEAR** I wasn't going to be able to get into the building and had to be down in VA that evening so went home.

Im a newbie here but it was great to see the turnout. It was GREAT to get clear instructions on how to contact delegates and what else to do. Thank you. I have NEVER attended a political rally or contacted a delegate in my life before (politics piss me off.) This got me off my ass. I joined the NRA (life member) in early January even before I learned of SB 281. I sent emails. I sent letters. (heck, I registered democratic party a few wks ago to have a say in the primaries.) I vow to get more friends involved.

I was behind many of the speakers on the mall and had trouble hearing. Is there a way to get a list of who spoke? Some of the delegates that responded to my emails say they are NRA A+ rated. How to get that list? (NRA STILL hasn't sent me my membership # yet so I don't know if its avail to members online somewhere.) These people will get campaign donations from me (and I have never given a politician one cent before.)

Thank you all.

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    Thank you to all that attended yesterday and thanks to KD999 for the excellent post. Unfortunately I was unable to get off from work however was working the phone and emails. Thanks again.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Does anyone have a list of speakers on the mall today? There was one gentleman who was on fire!!!!!!! And I could hear him even though I was behind him. He actually turned around several times to make sure everyone could hear.......

I didn't hear him introduced, but I think I heard him referred to him as "Charles"(?). He had great enthusiasm.

ETA: Charles Lollar

Last edited:

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    The tone in the hearings are to be treated like a courtroom. Applause is poor form. Likely it was allowed for a while, but then Frosh would gavel and demand order for proceedings to continue.

That was certainly the case in the main hearing room, but the overflow rooms were a bit more relaxed and that is where the applause was coming from. Absolutely no disturbance to the hearing room.
    I do recall one round of applause in the hearing room and Frosh did gavel it back to order. I'm guessing they were surprised there was not more of it.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    My daughter actually was able to testify. They told her "one sentence, support or not support". She learned from me how to do a run-on sentence. I could notbe prouder of her!!! We are hitting the HOCO hearings tonight.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I went down the night before with my 2 kids and stayesd at a hotel. I went to the SJB at about 10am while the kids went to the rally and took pictures.

I went though the line and got signed up to speak at 12:40. Sat in the overflow room listening to testimony and tweaking mine as to not be redundant. I never got to speak.

A couple of observations:

The time to speak should have been cut to 2 minutes. More people testifying would have hopefully allowed a more diverse message.

People testifying may not have been able to hear what was said prior, but there seemed to be a commitment by people to read their testimony regardless if their points had been made by others previously. For example, the "assault weapons" argument was made over and over while it wasn't until very late in the night that someone brought up the fact of ammo being restricted to thoseunder21. Tere were quite a fewpointsthatcould have been made but things tended to bog down at times with redundant testimony.

Thankfully, some of the big hitters got to speak near the end.

As far as applause in the overflow room, all it did was make it hard to hear the committee questions and in same cases, the peoples names being called to testify next. It was like a pep rally at times, but honestly, I didn't go there to hear people clap and yell at the screen, I went there to hear the testimony, committee questions and form testimony that may have been different and effective, had I been given the opportunity to speak.

All good, just a bit disappointing to spend that much time and not get to speak. So be it.

Please email the "anti"committee and urge them, based on the layers of SB281 being peeled back, to re-evaluate their commitment to this bill that's not ready for prime time.

Last edited:

doglover

Oct 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    KD999-great post! Thanks for your detailed overview!!!

Maverick-you raised your daughter right! I know you are one proud Dad!

Smokey and all-really enjoyed seeing all your great photos! The signs were amazing and some were pretty clever!

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Even though I didn't get to give my testimony, it was still great to be part of the tremendous turnout.

Mrs. Safetech says my hair's too short.

It ain't THAT short!

Attachments

• IMG_6208_zpse61fa8b1a.jpg
      IMG_6208_zpse61fa8b1a.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 243

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member