• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why should we live in fear of criminals?

You mean cower from or be alert to them? Not everyone is a tough guy. But most don't like to start shit, especially when they know where we live.

I don't fear them, but I don't feel the need to bait them. I work smart and not hard. Put up with enough shit you tend to not want more. But that's just me and I'm stupid.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Quite a shame. Lauraville used to be a very nice neighborhood. I loved right around the corner for a long time. Crime was a little lower when O'Douchebag lived off of Walther Blvd right there. Turned into a very liberal and "hip" area to live for a period of time, too.

How true. A beautiful neighborhood of grand stately homes reasonably priced because they are surrounded by the jungle. And full of libs.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    That's got to be the best security camera footage I have ever seen. Damn shame that probably nothing will happen.

It sure is. Makes you wonder what kind of crap systems businesses and police are buying when you see their pics on TV, be hard to recognize your won mother.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    When I lived in Hampden I had my car broken into 2x and a locked ladder stolen out of my fenced yard. It's truly a shame that it happens every where it seems. In Rogers Forge the rats break into the garages behind the houses or walk up the street and kind of lean up against car doors with their hands behind their back looking for unlocked doors. Even out in Timonium, Mays Chapel we had a rash of catalytic converter thefts a couple of years ago. Even from cars park in supposedly secure under ground lots. It's a damn shame . AFAIK in TX it's a shootable offense catching someone breaking into your property or your neighbors.

Last edited:

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Read your post and was curious to know what brand camera and software you were using for your video surveillance? The quality is amazing, and I hope they get the shit bird. Good luck and stay safe

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The YouTube video has the brand and model camera started at the beginning. Footage would have been excellent if the vegetation was trimmed and wasn't bouncing the light back into the lens.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Things seem to have settled down in my immediate area, but last summer there was a rash of home and shed break-ins with things as large as riding mowers being stolen. Homes are far enough apart that as an example, when our home alarm goes off, no neighbors hear it despite the outside horn.

One night I had a bout of insomnia. Around 1am I heard a diesel pick-up come up the road - nothing odd at all. Nothing odd until it stopped on a stretch of road where no one stops other than to look at the empty lot for sale (not at 1am) or shenanigans. I watched from the bedroom window and could barely watch a guy walk about 75 yards to the driveway across the street. I watched for a bit trying to decide if I should call 911 or the neighbor. I called them in case this guy got other ideas, and the phone in the pole barn must have scared him off. They called the police and a county sheriff deputy arrived within about 5 minutes. The "gentleman" must have worn gloves - he popped open a storage trunk or whatever on the neighbor's pick-up, but left no prints and didn't have time to take anything.

I've seen plenty of white pick-ups on the road since then, but none that sound like this one. Hopefully he's too chicken to come back. Been about 8 months, so...

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Yes, I used to fly the Gadsen on the house but I need to get a new one - the wind is bad on the corner and they don't last too long.

I try to keep the bushes trimmed but they grow fast in the summer. I just cut off a piece this morning.

As for the system, there is no point to it if you can't see anything in detail. I use a Synology Server (16TB) with Surveillance Station software.. I use POE (power over ethernet) switches and 3MP to 5MP POE cameras like this one. This particular model has adjustable focus/zoom that can be set during installation. The POE means that you can just run one ethernet cable to it from a POE switch/supply and it doesn't need other power.

The problem with the other security systems is that people just keep buying the cheap systems that come with a horrible recorder and 4 bad resolution cameras and think that it's going to be good.

I started this to be a discussion but not to be derogatory toward the officers. I have a lot of respect for them and the fact that they are still officers after what happened with the riots. Whether or not some of the officers did inappropriate things in the past, our current officers deserve respect and for their community and leaders to support them.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I think this will quickly turn in to a security system discussion...I am also very interested in your system. What do you figure your total cost was? I assume you don't have monthly costs...correct?

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Last Monday around 9:30 pm my daughter and I were on the front porch waiting for my other daughter to come home from work. As we were talking we heard a horn blaring and my daughter driving way to fast and screaming for us to get into the house that there was a gunman at the top of our street. She was shaken up quite a bit. She proceeded to explain that as she was driving across the top of Parkside and Eastwood drive she saw a white man in the middle of the road with his hands in the air and 3 black males one of which branded and pointed the gun in her direction. She did what I taught her to do and that was don't stop bust through and get home ASAP. This gave the other guy a chance to break and run. No shots fired. We dialed 911 and they are a PITA bottom line. The officers arrived in less then 20 mins and took a statement from my daughter and told us the other man was fine. From what the officer explained a gray Honda Odyssey dropped off the 3 BM and left. Bottom line daughter is fine.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    I use the same thing here. I have DS1512+ and DS1815+ w/ multiple Hikvision Dome and Bullet outdoor camera's. Pretty much the same quality as these.

Another option vs the individual switches - you can use an in-line POE injector like this:

8 Port POE Injector

Which acts as a pass-through to your existing switch.

The Synology is a great option. I've been nothing but happy with it.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County

Thanks, much appreciated. I think I have a new winter project.

JRMills

Feb 20, 2012
    USA

I work for a 3rd party alarm monitoring center, and I must say your system is much better than 90% of our clients. I wish they invested as much as you. I hate looking at half of their cameras.

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    i had a trooper as me for my gun permit, he did nt understand leosa i was at barts, working so i educated him and printed him a copy. and then being the smart ass i am i called his barrack co and asked him what kind of folks he had working there.
    as a retired county police sgt i do not need a gun permit as i carry under leosa a federal loaw and quall ify every year. still can type on this machine but i can read and shoot im not sure how much training in mds firearms laws they get in the academy or inservice each year. i can tell yo9u my shift knew all the laws cause we supervisors told them

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom