• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    OK, so a few people have scoured around the interweb looking for stories of citizens using OC, and it has not turned up much. And even of those few we hear, some were from sites selling OC.

OC is probably the most popular self-defense item ever produced. We see it being carried by people who otherwise have no interest in personal protection, carrying it on their key chain. How is it then that folks here, and police I talk to, are at a loss for stories reporting its use as well?

This past weekend I did an Urban Escape & Evasion Course. One of the things we did was buy the cheapest POS OC spray at Harbor Freight to expose the students. The results were interesting.

I stood in front of them as they covered one eye with their hand (still gets a good result but speeds recovery time). From about two feet away, I sprayed a one second blast of stream into their face. This caused an immediate, involuntary closing of both eyes, and they brought both hands up to their face. Then they had to turn around and find a key in mulch on the ground and open a lock box that held a cell phone. They had to try to dial 911 and send.

This was meant to simulate OC being used as a robber tool, and them having to find a key in the dark after knocking out a captor and escaping confinement.

The majority of them had been exposed to OC before and stated that this cheap stuff was just as bad as or worse than the name brands they had been hit with.

Using Combative Anatomy, the idea is to attack body systems in the order in which they affect the attacker’s ability to attack. Let's discuss the effects of OC-

Central Nervous System- nope, OC does not affect the brain, spinal cord, or any part of the CNS.

Structural System- nope, OC does not affect the bones, muscles, ligaments, or tendons.

Circulatory System- in combative anatomy we lump both the circulation of blood and air into the circulatory system since disruption requires the penetration or crushing of the body's plumbing or duct work. OC does not affect the body's plumbing. It may affect the respiratory system to a small extent, even though that was not the case during our scenario.

When you spray someone with OC, what you take from them is their eyesight. When you take away one of the body's senses, the other senses take over. In this case, touch. Typically loss of fine/complex motor skills is the first to go, but that is not what we saw. They fumbled a little bit, but everyone was able to locate the key and open the lock box. Dialing 911 and send was a different matter. Good to note if you do carry OC, if you get blow back from your own use, you may not be able to use your cell phone.

So if their fine/complex motor skills were not impaired, obviously the same is true for their gross motor skills. That means they can punch, kick, tackle, smash you into a wall, cut, stab, or shoot you. The good thing is that you can do the same to them if sprayed.

Everyone commented about how the effects of the OC "sink in" over time. More evidence that if you are sprayed during an attack your immediate response needs to be moving to making contact with your attacker and damaging them with elbows and knees.

Some notes about me spraying them. I took a few practice shots and found the stream to be pretty accurate. Even though I was standing still and two feet away and "aiming" for their eye, several times I hit just to the sides or just above or below. They were not moving and neither was I. Several times, I noted to the other instructors how I felt my feet were glued to the ground because I felt the need to stand completely still and aim because I knew I needed to get it in their eyes. If we’re both moving, I think the effect would have been very minimal. And remember this was from about two feet away.

So let’s look at it this way-

Selection- yes I used Brand X or generic OC that said it was 1,500, 000 SHU, but students said it was as bad as or worse than others they had been exposed to.

Carry- I had it in my hand

Deployment- I was prepared and stationary, without the need for deciding whether or not I needed to use the OC, and knowing that its effectiveness or lack thereof would have no effect on me.

Use- As stated, I was standing still, two feet away, stationary, and still found it slightly inaccurate.

Now look at it from the point of view of the citizen-

Selection- you can choose whichever brand of OC you wish

Carry- OC is prohibited in all federal buildings, you cannot fly with it, and there are state and local laws restricting its use. Then you need to have to carry it so that it is handy, on a keychain, belt pouch, or in your vehicle.

Deployment- you would need to be aware of the threat, locate your OC, take it out of the holder or carry method, move the little switch over to spray as your heart rate sky rockets to over 220 BPM.

Use- you would need to be close enough to them to hit them with the OC without them being close enough to you to strike you. You will be moving and they will be moving. You spray them causing only blindness.

Personally, I would rather jab them in the face with a pen or slap them as hard as possible on the side of their head. Those two simple things take advantage of your movement and attack their Central Nervous System and Structural System. This would allow you to get away, and after all, that is the goal.

This OC vs that OC debate is the same as 9 MM vs 45 ACP and talking about what they do against ballistic gelatin and not real people during real scenarios. Just food for thought.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Nice right up. When I went through training, it was interesting to see the reactions of OC. There were many people who had a "sissy-boy" approach and insantly became rubber after being sprayed. Others had the fight mentality and worked through the spray, beat on the red-man, cuffed the assailant.

Is it irretating, Yes. Can I personally overcome the disadvantage, I would like to think from previous experience I can. Physical damage is what I try to achieve instead of putting my safety into OC.

I always enjoy your write-ups Mercop.

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    From about two feet away, I sprayed a one second blast of stream into their face.

Just out of curiosity; have you ever been certified in the use of OC or as an instructor?

If so, what is the protocol given by most manufacturers and most state and federal police agencies for proper spray distance? In fact, what do the vast majority of LE SOPs *require* if a person is sprayed at a distance of 2 feet or less?

I'll give you a hint - take said person(s) to a large building that has a lot of people in white coats.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    OK, so a few people have scoured around the interweb looking for stories of citizens using OC, and it has not turned up much.

Personally, I would rather jab them in the face with a pen

I have a few stories that I use in my Sabre pepper spray class. Here's one off the top of my head http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/128703473.html.

August, 2011 right here in Va - This person fought off five 20-30 something guys with his pepper spray. I'd say that was pretty damn effective.

It doesn't matter how many stories you can, or can't find. One story is good enough. Pepper spray works.....and its much better than getting up in someone's grill and trying to stab them with a pen.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I dunno. I would think it works. Long ago going through my first police academy we were filmed after being sprayed trying to retain our weapons. Premise being if we used deadly force against someone who sprayed us, we had some "evidence" of how it incapacitated us. The effectiveness of pepper spray spawned this for some reason.
    All the people I have sprayed or have seen sprayed each time it worked pretty well.

Never been taught to jab an offender in the face with our stylish cross pens.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Spray, pen, knife, etc., why not carry it all?
    Multiple self defense options can be helpful.
    Sometimes different situations call for different tools.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Let me add, to the OP, after all that you narrow it down to a ballpoint pen?

Do you have a particular model? Cross, Parker, Bic, or perhaps Papermate?

I ask you what in the world was the point of that?

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I participated in that fun little exercise, Mercop got me right in the eye lol. It was horrible, smelled bad, burned, and made my eye water for the rest of the day, but there is no chance OC would stop me in a fight. In fact, after being sprayed, I now hate it so much that the next person to OC spray me is going to get seriously hurt. OC takes away eyesight and is extremely irritating, it doesn't incapacitate at all. I hear it's better than a gun for bear attacks though...

@FRISteve, Mercop's website says he's taken the Guardian Products Defensive Chemical Spray Instructors Course. I believe his day job is training military and police officers, so he probably knows what he's doing.

Speaker2Wolves

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2012
    It doesn't matter how many stories you can, or can't find. One story is good enough. Pepper spray works.....and its much better than getting up in someone's grill and trying to stab them with a pen.

++

Pepper spray is a non-lethal deterrent. It's not a CQB system. You don't use it to get an advantage in combat, you use it to give someone something to think about other than assaulting you.

PS. How many robbers use pepper spray? You sure you're not training people how to resist arrest?

Lono

From My Cold Dead Hands
    Nov 23, 2011
    Central PA
    I participated in that fun little exercise, Mercop got me right in the eye lol. It was horrible, smelled bad, burned, and made my eye water for the rest of the day, but there is no chance OC would stop me in a fight. In fact, after being sprayed, I now hate it so much that the next person to OC spray me is going to get seriously hurt. OC takes away eyesight and is extremely irritating, it doesn't incapacitate at all. I hear it's better than a gun for bear attacks though...

Like Kilroy said, it takes away a great deal of your eyesight, along with inflicting a good deal of pain.

I was in this same exercise. We were hit directly in one eye, which was open, and it does greatly reduce your defensive and offensive capability. It's a very good tool, maybe not the end all of an encounter, but it will definitely give you the advantage in a dangerous confrontation enabling you to escape the attack or transition to your handgun.

One thing to remember is to keep out of the reach of the person you just sprayed. You don't want to be in hand to hand and have them get the spray in your eyes.

Another thing is to not let them know you have a canister of OC spray. They know that, then they can defend against it by closing their eyes which reduces the disabling effects.

If the attacker is high on drugs, alcohol, or is mentally disturbed then OC may have little effect. This guy gets sprayed and calmly continues to drink his now very hot beer. Notice how he later on closes his eyes when the cop continues to spray him::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6vPJ6f_M_A&feature=related

Kilroy, did you loose your notebook from the class?

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    @FRISteve, Mercop's website says he's taken the Guardian Products Defensive Chemical Spray Instructors Course. I believe his day job is training military and police officers, so he probably knows what he's doing.

From what I know of him (if he is who I think he is, we've crossed paths before) then I would agree completely. Except, if OC is sprayed into the eyes at 2 feet or less, a trip to the ER is MANDATORY; there can be damage to the eye from the stream's impact.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Not to mention when you spray someone, it also backfires. Especially in a struggle.... But OC spray works, I'll vouch for it ;)

People shouldn't use it without training, AND being sprayed to experience it

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    Not to mention when you spray someone, it also backfires. Especially in a struggle.... But OC spray works, I'll vouch for it ;)

That's being polite. Getting hit with OC sucks...big time. I'd rather take another dozen taser hits as opposed to taking a hit from OC.

But you are correct, you CAN fight through OC. It is, therefore, important to have experienced it and fought through it.

There's another legal consideration for being hit with OC. OC is considered to be less than lethal or non-lethal (depending on who you ask).

What would you do if you are attacked by someone who is about to spray you with OC? Would you use lethal force? Can you use lethal force against OC? After all, it is less than lethal.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    That's being polite. Getting hit with OC sucks...big time. I'd rather take another dozen taser hits as opposed to taking a hit from OC.

But you are correct, you CAN fight through OC. It is, therefore, important to have experienced it and fought through it.

There's another legal consideration for being hit with OC. OC is considered to be less than lethal or non-lethal (depending on who you ask).

What would you do if you are attacked by someone who is about to spray you with OC? Would you use lethal force? Can you use lethal force against OC? After all, it is less than lethal.

We LEO's here know about OC and how bad it sucks, and that is when you are expecting it. Imagine when you're not!

jimd27

Nov 12, 2011
    Last time i got sprayed i managed to keep it out of my eyes and it really didnt start to burn until i went to wash it off, several minutes later. The redman took a beating that day.

You also want to be VERY careful next time you take a shower...its the gift that keeps on giving.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012

I would imagine that someone agressivley trying to incapacitate you, or limit your ability to respond to an attack in any manner (be it response with lethal force, or simply running away) by using a less than lethal or non-lethal means, such as OC spray, could be viewed as a precursor to a physical attack that could very well be potentially lethal or cause serious injury, which might warrant the use of lethal force by the victim.

I hope that if I were walking down the street, and someone came at me unprovoked, holding up a can of OC and telling me to give him my wallet, that would be the treated by law enforcement the same as if he came at me with a taser, or a knife, or a baseball bat, or a gun. Any one of which can be used to limit my ability to respond to further assault, basically leaving me at the mercy of the mugger. I would hope, that a situation like that would justify whatever force required to make him stop, if I were not able to get away.

At least, that's the way I see it. I have no idea if the law would see it the same way.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Like most defense tools OC can be incredibly effective. My Wife and Daughter would probably spray and run. OC will slow down most anyone. Also OC will probably give you enough of an edge to make effective use of anything else available to end the threat. Nothing is 100% every time but every tool used effectively is another edge in your advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom