Of the 1911 types (sizes) is one length inherently more reliable than others?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have a 5 inch Remington enhanced, not a hiccup.
    A 4 inch Kimber, not a hiccup at it's first outing.
    3 inch Springfield Armory, problem at first with stove pipeing from an out of spec extractor hole, repaired under warranty, not a hiccup since it's repair.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Bummer. I wanted to get matching Hardballers like Agent 47s "Silverballers". Guess ill go S&W. oh WAIT A SECOND.... I had a S&W. or did I? I can remember Chad, do YOU? Maybe I had half a one.

You had something that was once a S&W. Its like Michael Jackson. He was once a human and turned in to monster.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Agreed.

Other Parts such as High Reliability Mags, Slotted Guide Rod and a Flat Spring can help improve reliability.

I usually put these in http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-4-Compact/productinfo/651/along with Tripp Mags to enhance reliability.

Of course Feed Ramp Geometry, Chamber Mouth Beveling, and Extractor Contour/Tensioning also is often needed.

As far as Im concerned anything smaller than 5" that dosent have a Steel Frame is just a waste of money. Compact 1911's are like Piston AR's, and 40S&W......... Solution looking for a problem.

My Combat Commander has a steel frame. Regular Colt Commanders do not.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My Combat Commander has a steel frame. Regular Colt Commanders do not.

Where did I say otherwise? I know the difference between 1911 vaiants.

My comments are from my experience as a smith, not single examples. IMO ALL (Notice I didnt mention a Make/Model) 1911's smaller than 5" are prone to be problematic. Aluminum framed ones even more so.

On a seperate note............personally Im glad to be done smithing because I grew tired of people telling me how much they know, and in the same sentence asking me for help. :sad20:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Where did I say otherwise? I know the difference between 1911 vaiants.

My comments are from my experience as a smith, not single examples. IMO ALL (Notice I didnt mention a Make/Model) 1911's smaller than 5" are prone to be problematic. Aluminum framed ones even more so.

On a seperate note............personally Im glad to be done smithing because I grew tired of people telling me how much they know, and in the same sentence asking me for help. :sad20:

Just making note, not challenging you. There might have been someone reading the thread that did not know.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    5in of course. A true Commander size also has potential . But 4.25 is the dividing line , and a 4.0 in gun is a different design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom