• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I searched for this and only found an old thread regarding 6.5 Grendel barrels. I’m kicking around the idea of building out another 223/5.56 AR to a DMR-like spec, and was looking at an Odin Works 18” DMR barrel (or complete upper maybe?). The problem is they don’t specify “HBAR” for the barrel, even though a designated DMR barrel logically would be considered “heavy”. I wrote to Odin’s customer service and they replied pretty quickly, here is their response:

Thank you for contacting us. You are not the first customer to ask about the DMR barrel in terms of compliance with Maryland law. You are correct that the DMR is a heavy profile barrel. The barrels are not stamped with DMR or HBAR, but I just spoke with the marketing team and we are going to add a note on our website for our DMR barrels that states, "These barrels serve as HBAR barrels." Centurion Arms has been doing this for a while, so it should meet the requirement of being advertised and marketed as a heavy barrel. They are working on this feature today, but I'm not sure if it will be live today or tomorrow, but we are addressing that concern so that the DMR barrels will be advertised as HBAR barrels. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can further assist you or clarify. Thank you.

ODIN Works | CS Dept.

208-906-1405

www.ODINWorks.com

1681429250773.png

In case anyone was considering using an Odin Works barrel or upper, this may help clarify things.

Last edited:

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I was looking at these complete uppers on Primary Arms last week. I'm unfamiliar with Odin Works, though, and I didn't see many reviews of them. Anyone here familiar with them? Good stuff?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I was looking at these complete uppers on Primary Arms last week. I'm unfamiliar with Odin Works, though, and I didn't see many reviews of them. Anyone here familiar with them? Good stuff?
    I have a 6 ARC complete upper from them and it’s fantastic (I’ll attach a pic).
    5E8DED5A-AB0A-4CB4-93BB-46E0532A2708.jpeg
    A little pricey at about $900 per, you can easily build-out a much cheaper product piece by piece, but all the components seem to be top quality, and there’s some options when ordering.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    They're great. You may notice the barrels come with gas blocks. They machine matching notches in to the barrels and gas blocks so you can easily align the gas block correctly over the gas port during installation. Little things like that make them rock.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    They're great. You may notice the barrels come with gas blocks. They machine matching notches in to the barrels and gas blocks so you can easily align the gas block correctly over the gas port during installation. Little things like that make them rock.
    (10-way? I don’t recall) adjustable gas block too. I need to get this out to play soon, I’ve only gotten a rough 100 yard zero using Hornady Black so far. One 3-shot, one hole cloverleaf group, and most others around 1-1-1/4”. Was decent at 200 yds too, called it just good enough for now (then) to later spend an afternoon with decent match ammo to see what it can do before heading out to PNTC to stretch it out. I also want to swap out that sweet muzzle brake for the Huxwrx adapter and the Huxwrx/OSS 762 Helix suppressor, and test out those adjustable gas settings. I recommend Odin Works highly so far, and per the above their customer service seemed to shine as well.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Last time I checked starting with the MD defined specifics to the Match Colt HBAR as a 4473 was that there was an identifiable stamping HBAR on the barrel to alleviate actual barrel widths in consideration of the original Colt specifications. The caliber was independent from the designation AR-15 family of semi automatic rifles. Therefore, all AR-15’s sold with HBAR barrels meet the original intent for purposes of shooting matches which many do.

Therefore any of these manufacturers can stamp HBAR 1/7, 1/8, 1/9 which meets the definition independently of caliber itself. My point is if you can stamp the barrel, receiver or both question solved.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    OK still unclear - If one has a post 2013 lower are you required to put an HBAR marked .223 Wylde barrel on it? Or is .223 Wylde exempt like all other calibers besides 556?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom