• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    My father received his WOA upper while I haven't, jealous to say the least.

Any way, developing a load for it on the next couple of weeks using LC brass, CCI BR4s, Sierra 77gr MKs and varget. According to hogdons site, max load is 23.7 and its compressed. Well I know everyone is shooting 24 to 25 gr using varget but I'm still going to start low.

I figured I would start at 22gr shoot 1, 22.5gr, 23gr and 23.5gr shooting one at each weight looking for pressure signs.

Following the OCW method, I will increase each 3 round lot by 1%; 23.7,23.9,24.2,24.4,24.5,24.6,24.7,24.8.

That gives me 3 rounds at 8 different weights. I'm going to probably do 9 rounds at each weight so my father can shoot 3 at each and then I can shoot his rifle at the same weight with extras for the 1 or 2 that is human error(we pull the shot,etc).

Suggestions, am I crazy? What methods are others using?

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Skip right over the load loads if you ask me. A lot of people find the happy place at 24.5grains id load 24.5 and maybe two others.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OCW starts by picking your MAX load, and reducing it by 10%.

How you pick your max load is up to you. I use various loading data sources.

Then you do your first 3 charges as fouler/sighter rounds at 2% increase each. Then 3 rounds each at 0.7% - 1% per increment.

You go up until the first increment ABOVE your picked max load. The idea is that if the one before that has no pressure signs, a 1% or less increase in powder will not be dangerous.

You can go higher, and as you shoot, look for pressure signs.

I personally would not use any load posted online, that was above the normal sources, as a starting point. I would reduce it by 10% and work up.

Also, OCW predicts an accuracy node every 3% charge weight change, up OR DOWN. So you can pick the charge weigh that gives you accuracy and pick whether you want to beat up your brass for the extra muzzle velocity or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom