• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • somd_brad

Feb 12, 2013
    Valley lee, MD SOMD
    Sorry guys buy i am hearing info thats differnt than what I thought was correct.

I own regulated firearms, to purchase new handgun after oct1 do I need training etc or no?? Or do I just buy as I normally have been??

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Since you already own regulated firearms, you do not need training.

However, you will still need to be finger printed, and get a Handgun Qualification License

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    After Oct 1 aren't the only regulated firearms, handguns. All the currently regulated rifles will be banned. So after Oct 1 you need to lawfully own a handgun to be exempt from the training requirement of the HQL.

Just asking, as everyone seems to think that owning any previously regulated firearm is enough.

Please correct me If I'm reading it wrong Perhaps banned is a form of regulated etc
    Thanks

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    After Oct 1 aren't the only regulated firearms, handguns. All the currently regulated rifles will be banned.

Correct

So after Oct 1 you need to lawfully own a handgun to be exempt from the training requirement of the HQL.

Partially correct.

Just asking, as everyone seems to think that owning any previously regulated firearm is enough.

They think that because that is correct.

Please correct me If I'm reading it wrong Perhaps banned is a form of regulated etc
    Thanks

Like many people you are over thinking this. Just read the words as they are written.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It says you must legally own a regulated firearm, as one exemption to the firearms training.

Law takes effect Oct 1

Only hand guns are regulated after .Oct 1

Long guns, previously regulated are now banned

Ergo you must legally own a handgun as of Oct 1 for this training exemption to the HQL.

I'm asking a question, stating the same thing I have already heard is no helping. Please explain. I want to understand this.

What I wrote above IS what the new law says

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you've filled out MD handgun paperwork before and waited, then you are automatically exempted from training. MD law classifies MD-regulated long guns as handguns. I think that's the part you're missing.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It says you must legally own a regulated firearm, as one exemption to the firearms training.

That fully explains it. Don't try to add logic to something that is completely illogical.

Ergo you must legally own a handgun as of Oct 1 for this training exemption to the HQL.

I'm asking a question, stating the same thing I have already heard is no helping. Please explain. I want to understand this.

Did they screw this part up? Possibly, but who cares, it is what it is. It might benefit the very few who own a regulated long gun and no handgun.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Law takes effect Oct 1

No, what you wrote above above is what you suspect the law says based on your interpretation.

The law takes effect on Oct 1, on this we agree.

If you didn't own a regulated firearm (Rifle or handgun) on Sept 30 (the day before Oct 1) then how are you exempt on Oct 1? Therefore ANY regulated fire owned on Oct 1 qualifies you for an HQL training exemption (not just a handgun).

On Sep 30 regulated long guns are still eligible, hence, if you own a regulated firearm (long gun or handgun) then you are exempt.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Law takes effect Oct 1

No, if you buy a regulated rifle NOW, you have previously purchased a regulated firearm.

The previously purchased has to do with Oct 1 and prior to Oct 1 there are other regulated firearms than a handgun.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I just heard from ffl that training is required even if you own a handgun previous. .. so im assuming it changed???

The FFL is wrong. It's written in the law. I forget which amendment, but I'm sure some else can cite it for you.

Besides, we may get it thrown out in court anyway. MSP has admitted for the time being the HQL is a de-facto ban on handgun sales(a direct violation of the Heller decision) as it will be a few months before anyone will actually be able to obtain an HQL, especially if a backlog like the 77r backlog develops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom