• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    Let's say Obama wins the election. It is my opinion that if this happens he will have to have a choice for VP.

His VP will
    - Have military experience
    - Be a moderate Democrat from a pro-gun state (more pro-gun that MD)
    - Be a male
    - Probably be some sort of Caucasian

In respect to gun issues, do you think his VP will keep his gun grabbing twitches under control?

I that a moderate VP could ensure our rights over the next 4 years.

Clinton + Gore was pretty bad, but we may get something less liberal out of Obama + ?.

But what about the flip side? What if McCain picks a liberal that turns out to be a crazy gun grabber. I don't think that make it past the NRA.

If this situation plays out, it would be a dilemma for us.

mylittlebrbine.jpg

I'm predicting a dilemma for gun owners if the above situation plays out.

But McCain wins on issues hands down, Obama is terrible; Huckabee 08.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Let's say Obama wins the election. It is my opinion that if this happens he will have to have a choice for VP.

His VP will
    - Have military experience
    - Be a moderate Democrat from a pro-gun state (more pro-gun that MD)
    - Be a male
    - Probably be some sort of Caucasian
    Bill Richardson never served in the military, but he has so much national, international and state level experience he makes up for it.
    He is a male.
    He looks totally caucasian with an Anglican name like Richardson and will not change any opinions for the majority of the country, but he will have a special appeal to the hispanics because of his roots.

In respect to gun issues, do you think his VP will keep his gun grabbing twitches under control?

I that a moderate VP could ensure our rights over the next 4 years.

Clinton + Gore was pretty bad, but we may get something less liberal out of Obama + ?.
    No
    No
    And no

The VP choice will be simply symbolic and once in office Obama will play the "reasonable" in "resonable gun control" to the hilt. Every single gun ban or uber strict gun control he proposes he will claim was inline with his "reasonable" statement.

But what about the flip side? What if McCain picks a liberal that turns out to be a crazy gun grabber. I don't think that make it past the NRA.
    Yes, because McCain is better than Obama on the gun issue and it would be prudent to keep their mouth shut.
    Now the GOA will probably make a huge stink.

If this situation plays out, it would be a dilemma for us.

But McCain wins on issues hands down, Obama is terrible; Huckabee 08.
    If McCain chose Giuliani and Obama chose Webb, Warner or Richardson, I might not be voting this year. McCain might die in two years and Giuliani is nearly as bad as Obama on much of gun control and the choice of Richardson and Webb in the VP's office will give shall issue more credence nationwide (if Obama suddenly decided banning it wasn't an issue for him anymore). Having Webb, Warner or Richardson in the VP's office will mean in 2012 we may finally have a progun dem in teh White House.

But of course what I would rather see is Obama choose Webb, Richardson or Warner and run agains McCain/Huckabe and lose. That way for the next four years we will not have a gun grabber in office and in four years Webb, Warner or Richardson could run as a front runner in the primaries and might be our next president.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    mylittlebrbine.jpg

Yes, the situation directly above poses a dilemma - my inherent respect for all firearms versus my overwhelming urge to consign that abomination to the flames of the foundry from whenst it came.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    On a natinoal level, bun rights are not going to be a deciding factor, as much as some of us would like it tto be.

The Dems will obscure the argument with, as Novus said, the 'reasonable" qualification. The Reps will pay gun rights lip service and only stand in the way of the most extreme anti-gun policies.

That's how I see it between the choices we have right now. I doubt either candidate will choose a polar opposite as their running mate. Chances are, the VP will come from a swing state.

Splitter

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I doubt Obama is going to pick anyone with strong 2-A leanings. Quite the opposite is possible. In any case it won't help. VP's have little ability to influence policy and their role is more resigned to bulldogging for the President's policies and saying and doing the unpleasant things the President doesn't want to.

Don't forget also that Obama could pick anybody for VP and ask for his resignation soon after the election. Sure it hasn't been done before but we are in the age of "change," and if The Enlightened One chooses to dismiss someone it must be for very good reason, correct?

McCain is going to pick a strong 2A supporter. At least that's the scuttlebutt. So perhaps he hasn't forgotten which side his bread is buttered on.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I doubt Obama is going to pick anyone with strong 2-A leanings. Quite the opposite is possible. In any case it won't help. VP's have little ability to influence policy and their role is more resigned to bulldogging for the President's policies and saying and doing the unpleasant things the President doesn't want to.

Don't forget also that Obama could pick anybody for VP and ask for his resignation soon after the election. Sure it hasn't been done before but we are in the age of "change," and if The Enlightened One chooses to dismiss someone it must be for very good reason, correct?

McCain is going to pick a strong 2A supporter. At least that's the scuttlebutt. So perhaps he hasn't forgotten which side his bread is buttered on.

He can ask for a resignation, but I doubt he could do anything if they refuse. The Vice President is elected too. Also remember the Vice President is a member of the Senate as well.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Al Gore was actually fairly pro 2A as a Tennessee senator, but he sure did a complete 180 when he was VP. My guess is that as part of the vetting process, they sat Gore down and said “You want the job? OK, good, you need to get with the program. Here’s our party line, memorize it and follow it unquestionably.”

If Richardson somehow ends up as Hussein’s VP, my guess is that he will abandon gun owners big time. He just won’t be as visibly anti 2A as Gore, as these days the Democrats are in lock step following the whole “Third Way” marketing campaign of paying lip service to the 2A.

http://www.thirdway.org/issues/show/22

In any event, the choice of a VP won’t change the fact that if elected, Hussein will pack the courts with Breyer and Stevens clones, and if that happens, Heller will be toast.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    In any case it won't help. VP's have little ability to influence policy and their role is more resigned to bulldogging for the President's policies and saying and doing the unpleasant things the President doesn't want to.

Unless, of course, the president were to suffer an untimely death (natural or otherwise.) Upon the president's death, the VP is now the new guy in charge.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way suggesting that anything unlawful would be an appropriate course of action. I am merely pointing out the importance of the VP in certain circumstances.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    He can ask for a resignation, but I doubt he could do anything if they refuse. The Vice President is elected too. Also remember the Vice President is a member of the Senate as well.

I agree, the President has no authority to "fire" a sitting VP. Although a public request from the President for him to resign would bring incredible pressure on a VP to do so.

Actually, he probably wouldn't need to publicly ask his VP to resign anyway. Way too messy. I doubt he's going to put anyone in that spot he doesn't have enough dirt on to keep in line. More the choice would be offered to the VP through an intermediary, "Now Mr. Edwards, do you want to leave honorably with a believable excuse, or does the whole world need to find out about your love child?" (oops somebody already used that one, sorry........ :D)

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    I think Obama or Obama advisors may have learned from Gore. The man flip flops so much, I mean maybe he can wake up and become some what moderate on gun issues. He's moving to the center on other major issues.

Keep in mind I'm just talking about gun issues on this thread, nothing else. What is the worst that could happen?

I guess we'll find out if we get a democrat controlled white house and congress.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Funny thing about possible VP candidates for both parties. The various polls, talking heads and blogs had one man come up Number 1 for both parties with voters.

Colin Powell

closes guy to a "President Palmer"?

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    I still say McCain's VP should be Michael Steele. Obama would probably shit himself if Steele brought up the fact that Obama came to Maryland to campaign for Cardin telling people they shouldn't vote for the black guy and should vote for the old white guy. Isn't he telling everyone the exact opposite now? lol

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Outside of the Peoples Republic Steele is pretty much unknown. Unfortunately he couldn't win the black vote in Maryland so I doubt he would do much on a National level although I really like the man.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Outside of the Peoples Republic Steele is pretty much unknown. Unfortunately he couldn't win the black vote in Maryland so I doubt he would do much on a National level although I really like the man.

I think he is better known than you think. He is a Fox news contributor and he spoke at the last republican convention. I think he would be a great choice for VP.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Funny thing about possible VP candidates for both parties. The various polls, talking heads and blogs had one man come up Number 1 for both parties with voters.

Colin Powell

closes guy to a "President Palmer"?
    I post on two out of country boards and I keep seeing the stereotype about Americans repeated when talking about Obama. They keep claiming America is too racist and redneck to elect a "black" president, or at least on the Republican side.
    I keep having to point to them that if Condi or Powell ran on the Repub ticket, they would have probably have been the nominee and at least Powell would have won the presidency hands down.
    I keep having to explain to them that this is no longer the 60s in this country and while there are bigots, racists or people with a strong prejudice still, the ones that have it about skin color are in the minority.

If McCain chose Powell and they get elected by a landslide, I would love to see their reaction then. The only thing is that I am not too sure about Powell's gun rights position though.

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    You could also explain to them that during the Democratic primaries, 95%-97% of blacks were supporting Obama. Wonder who the real racists are???

I thought they were entitled or something. But Obama should win by affirmative action. :sarcasm:

Does anyone realize that Lincoln (GOP) freed the slaves. The Democrats pursued slavery long after the civil war. Why are people so stupid?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Obama's VP will have about as much say in policy as I do...Obama is SO arrogant he will take the reigns on every issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom