• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    Frosh and the various politicians can say what they want, Maryland's "good and substantial" regime is DOA.

What I expect is that the system will stay the same except for G&S, namely an application along with photos, fingerprints and proof of training. After that you wait for some period of time and get your W&C.

Given how the opinion was written, any attempt to delay or sabotage will likely result in painful legal reprocussions.

accokeek

MDS Supporter
    Mar 4, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Good News from SCOTUS!

The Supreme Court said Thursday that Americans generally have a right to carry a handgun outside the home for self-defense, striking down a New York law requiring a special need for such a permit and putting at risk similar laws in five other states.

The court’s decision clears the way for legal challenges to similar restrictions in California, New Jersey, Maryland, Hawaii and Massachusetts.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Deluge of threads regarding which carry gun, which holster and does this one make my butt look fat? in 3...2...
    A careful man will always avoid that trap at the risk of replying, "no, your ass makes your ass look fat"

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Deluge of threads regarding which carry gun, which holster and does this one make my butt look fat? in 3...2...
    I'm getting one of these built for a LAR Grizzly.

elpasosaddlery_1942_tanker_photo-600x600.jpg

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    This goes to my point exactly. They don't care. Hell, this may actually result in more gun control legislation for consideration than there otherwise would have been. They are openly hostile to the SCOTUS - many of them see current SCOTUS as illegitimate because Orange Man Bad and Orange Man Bad's picks allowed this to happen.

And I ask the question again - if these remaining May Issue states don't change a damn thing or do the absolute minimum while increasing costs/training, shortening license times, etc... what will happen to them? Who "forces" them to comply?
    I think you're absolutely correct. This is an outstanding opening salvo, but the war isn't anywhere near over. We're way past the point of "I disagree but accept the Court's ruling as the law of the land". I'm sure that the usual suspect counties, the state, and the feds are going to do everything they can to intentionally misinterpret or just flat-out ignore the ruling. They probably think they can stall until a packed court overturns it, whether that's actually legally possible or not. I feel like an effective enforcement method was never put into place because up until somewhat recently it was never thought to be needed.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Frosh is right. More guns means more people will die. Violent criminals will die.

Thinking about it, I actually do expect an initial uptick in shooting deaths as criminals walk into a new buzzsaw of lawfully armed citizenry. Then, I think there will be a sharp decrease as "civility" is rediscovered. :)

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Frosh and the various politicians can say what they want, Maryland's "good and substantial" regime is DOA.

What I expect is that the system will stay the same except for G&S, namely an application along with photos, fingerprints and proof of training. After that you wait for some period of time and get your W&C.

Given how the opinion was written, any attempt to delay or sabotage will likely result in painful legal reprocussions.
    And… another side effect…

This could potentially open up reciprocity between Maryland and other states for CCW Permit holders. Because Maryland can no longer deny the rights of American citizens to protect themselves within the state borders. They must now, either issue a Maryland CCWP, or accept the permits of other states as lawful for concealed carry here.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    And… another side effect…

This could potentially open up reciprocity between Maryland and other states for CCW Permit holders. Because Maryland can no longer deny the rights of American citizens to protect themselves within the state borders. They must now, either issue a Maryland CCWP, or accept the permits of other states as lawful for concealed carry here.
    That wasn't touched in this opinion.

Another court case will be needed for reciprosity.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think you're absolutely correct. This is an outstanding opening salvo, but the war isn't anywhere near over. We're way past the point of "I disagree but accept the Court's ruling as the law of the land". I'm sure that the usual suspect counties, the state, and the feds are going to do everything they can to intentionally misinterpret or just flat-out ignore the ruling. They probably think they can stall until a packed court overturns it, whether that's actually legally possible or not. I feel like an effective enforcement method was never put into place because up until somewhat recently it was never thought to be needed.
    There never was an effective enforcement method. ALL governments work on one principle only

Do enough of the right people agree to the social contract and the framework of the government?

Depending on the society, in an autocratic one that usually meant people with the most firepower and money. In a fully democratic one...it means the same thing.

It is just that in the democratic one, that's spread over more people.

So no enforcement mechanism can necessarily work unless enough of the right people believe in following the laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom