• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Kavanaugh, Barrett, and Roberts siding with the Kagan, Sotomayor and Breyer... The stuff of horror movies.

But in this case, they upheld the right for someone to sue the GOV for what sure sounds like a gross violation of his 4A rights. And if I'm reading the dissent correctly, Alito is actually arguing the ruling doesn't go far enough to establish a clear standard for when 4A rights are violated and a tort has occurred.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Imao too...Talk about silliness. Especially so, when the author of Heller clearly states that prohibitions on carrying concealed firearms are lawful under the 2nd Amendment and state analogues.

Lawful under THAT context of the day, open carry unlicensed and hardly any restrictions. Cite a case from that time period where open carry was banned or severely restricted and the court struck down a CCW ban anyway.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    As a side note: in a recent MD carry class it was said/taught that “MD is a concealed carry permit “, I said nothing.

Why? You are there for 16 hours and paid a lot of money. Why let the instructors teach stupidity?

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Kavanaugh, Barrett, and Roberts siding with the Kagan, Sotomayor and Breyer... The stuff of horror movies.

I wondered how Justice Gorsuch position would be!
    here...https://heavy.com/news/2017/01/neil...nee/?msclkid=382274fdb4d811ec925290143f584800

So....most likely supports THT of what Thomas wrote in Rogers V. Grewal.

clear from Heller, which (a) “repeatedly invokes a broader Second Amendment right than the right tohave a gun in one’s home,” Moore, 702 F.3d at 935-36;
    (b) squarely holds that the Second Amendment “guarantee the individual right to possess and carry
    weapons in case of confrontation,” Heller, 554 U.S. at
    592 (emphasis added); and (c) defines the key constitutional phrase “bear arms” as to “ ‘wear, bear, or carry
    . . . upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket,
    for the purpose . . . of being armed and ready for’ ” potential “ ‘conflict with another person,’ ” id. at 584 (alterations in original) (quoting Muscarello v. United States, 524 U.S. 125, 143 (1998) (Ginsburg, J., dissenting)). And by the plain text of the provision, the right
    belongs to “the people,” U.S. CONST. amend. II—not some subset of individuals who have a heightened need
    for self-defense. See id. at 580.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket....pdf?msclkid=30e6d828b4d911ecbdd01848bbae5792

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Only the renewal class so I guess its ok. :sad20:

Instructors should have a license to teach these classes or something.

Sorry to disappoint, I’ll gladly be called sad/stupid , thanks.

Full disclosure: Thanks to this forum allowing me to acquire my knowledge I was chosen,years ago, to explain several laws during the law portion of the class of 40 people, including CC of which I corrected them at the time. There is no law portion in the 8 hr. I explain this to MDS in thanks, not to those of whom are quick to label. Thanks MDShooters.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    We do! They don’t let just anyone teach. Doesn’t mean idiots don’t get through the system.

There isn’t a single occupation that doesn’t contain at least one idiot.

Whew, thank god you can't go to jail or anything important.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I also don’t want to name names but I took two classes earlier this year where the instructors gave out wrong legal information. Their sources were websites that appear very authoritative, but just the same are incorrect regarding MD law. One was a very high-volume operation giving classes almost daily throughout the year; you can imagine how many people are getting incorrect information.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I also don’t want to name names but I took two classes earlier this year where the instructors gave out wrong legal information. Their sources were websites that appear very authoritative, but just the same are incorrect regarding MD law. One was a very high-volume operation giving classes almost daily throughout the year; you can imagine how many people are getting incorrect information.

That’s the difficulty with the state relying on non-attorneys to provide the teaching of law that should really be taught by attorneys (as impracticable as this would be).

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That’s the difficulty with the state relying on non-attorneys to provide the teaching of law that should really be taught by attorneys (as impracticable as this would be).

And they need to be 2A attorneys at that. You don't want a real estate attorney giving 2A advice.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Doesn't someone (like the MDSP) certify the materials?

Someone should at least be looking over the bullet points to make sure that they are accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom