• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Does this mean that tomorrow is the day?
    Also, same day they'll find the treasure on Oak Island, Elvis's lost album (recorded with Sasquatch in a flying UFO recording studio) will be found, CNN will reformat as a news outlet, and we'll have Bitcoin at 100,000. Also: it's the day that Amazon's stock is doing a 20-for-1 split. Somehow, the conservative justices' votes will be diluted 20-to-1 and the ruling will go to Sotomayor, who will find that the Bill of Rights is entirely to be scrapped, on account of zero Wise Latinas involved in writing it.

Or, we could get the ruling we're expecting. But they have all month to add things to the calendar. We all need to put on yoga pants, have some avocado toast and chill our collective prana.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I checked the SCOTUS calendar. 6/6 is the ONLY Opinion Issuance Day scheduled in June. The calendar shows 6/20 as a court Holiday. THEIR July calendar appears empty.

I looked at April and May. All opinion dates matched the OID days on their calendar.

Does this mean that tomorrow is the day?
    No, they update that calendar regularly.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    Agreed. Then again, you could argue a subway is also a sensitive place by that definition. Which would hinder the ability for a vast number of people to legally carry anywhere.

Probably add something like controls in place to ensure no individuals are carrying a firearm (a sign is not sufficient). For example, bag and metal detector checks. So things like air ports, courts, prisons, controlled access government buildings are covered. As would large events where they do actual security screening and fencing. But things like subways would not be able to be included.

A sensitive place should be required to have some kind of security, controlled access and actual screening to enter.
    Public transit is going to be a major 2nd Amendment battle ground in the years ahead. As someone who once lived in NYC, I can tell you now that everyone except the wealthiest of the wealthy takes the Subway. Prohibiting guns on busses and trains is tantamount to gutting the 2nd Amendment.

On a related note, CCW holders in NYC are currently allowed to be armed on the subway. It's going to be hard for NYC to suddenly claim they are a legitimate danger.

Last edited:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I met an unrestricted permit holder in NYC and it blew my mind that of all things for NYC to prohibit, they left that part alone. He didn’t even flinch when I asked if he can ride the subway. Can’t even do that on the MTA in MD or Metro in DC.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Alito specifically asked about less wealthy individuals taking the subway home at night during argument, so at least one justice is thinking about it.

Hopefully five agree it deserves mention in the opinion.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I met an unrestricted permit holder in NYC and it blew my mind that of all things for NYC to prohibit, they left that part alone. He didn’t even flinch when I asked if he can ride the subway. Can’t even do that on the MTA in MD or Metro in DC.
    I suspect it is because there are so few unrestricted permit holders in NYC. Last I checked the vast majority have connections or paid bribes with a minority of those who are at serious risk and also have the money to jump through all of the hoops presented by the state and city.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here's something of interest for those waiting: The McCloskeys had their case denied by SCOTUS. They were challenging the discipline imposed by Missouri on them as attorneys for their conduct.

eventhorizon

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2011
    Arnold
    Also, same day they'll find the treasure on Oak Island, Elvis's lost album (recorded with Sasquatch in a flying UFO recording studio) will be found, CNN will reformat as a news outlet, and we'll have Bitcoin at 100,000. Also: it's the day that Amazon's stock is doing a 20-for-1 split. Somehow, the conservative justices' votes will be diluted 20-to-1 and the ruling will go to Sotomayor, who will find that the Bill of Rights is entirely to be scrapped, on account of zero Wise Latinas involved in writing it.

Or, we could get the ruling we're expecting. But they have all month to add things to the calendar. We all need to put on yoga pants, have some avocado toast and chill our collective prana.
    :lol::lol2:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Any opinions that could come out at this point today are written by Thomas or Roberts.
    Opinions are released in order of reverse seniority, except when it's from the Chief.
    First was by Sotomayor. Second was by Thomas.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    They do not number the cases being released that day until the last one is out, so R numbers being assigned means they're done for the day.

So Thomas had the 7-2 Medicare and 8-0 (ACB recused) Southwest cases, 32 and 14 pages respectively, January and March. Is he clearing his workload for all hands on deck re NYSRPA?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Amy Howe from SCTOTUSBlog pulled release dates from last year, expect many more this month even if not yet on the calendar.

In response to an email inquiry last week, I looked back at opinion days in June (and early July) last year. Here's what I found, although I did not go back to see when they announced these opinion days:

June 1, 2021 -- the Tuesday after Memorial Day
    June 3, 2021 -- Thursday
    June 7, 2021 -- Monday
    June 10, 2021 -- Thursday
    June 14, 2021 -- Monday
    June 17, 2021 -- Thursday
    June 21, 2021 -- Monday
    June 23, 2021 -- Wednesday
    June 25, 2021 -- Friday
    June 29, 2021 -- Tuesday
    July 1, 2021 -- Thursday

I also have not looked back yet at how many opinions they released on these days, but it at least gives you a sense of what they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom