• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Five FFLs including my favorite (Hunter Sports) and the local ripoff artists (TNT Gunnery-- love to charge above MSRP) were taken down in a joint Nassau Co. PD/NYSP sting.

They ran afoul of the NYS AWB by "pinning" the telescoping stocks in place. The pinning wasn't permanent enough according to the authorities. The NYS AWB is a mirror of the federal ban with no sunset. Hopefully they will beat the charges (and maybe take down the NYS AWB in the process).

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/long_island&id=7965139

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    They just had the guy go bonkers and kill 4 people with a knife in the city but they're worried about fake telescopic stocks in the hands of law-abiding citizens. :sad20:

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    They're worried about civilians who can resist if they don't like the way things are going.

"Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn’t allow him to do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policemen, bureaucrats, and politicians." ~ Alexander Hope, from the novel Hope by L. Neil Smith and Aaron Zelman

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Thanks for the link and pm John.

No problem bro (Tconfo and I go way back, we were in the same Massapequa scout troop). I feel sorry for Mark (Hunter Sports). He has enough legal trouble to begin with.

Suffolk County (next county over) had a clay targets range located in a county park. It had been in operation since the '20s. It had shut down briefly and Mark (who already owned Hunter Sports) put in a bid to operate the concession. Once he opened the locals and the surrounding town began gunning for him over noise ordinance violations and land use rules (it's in the Pine Barrens protected zone). They've been fighting ever since.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Mark at Hunter Sports was always a nice fair guy. I was always treated with respect when I went in. T&T always gave me the third degree.

Southern_Boy

Apr 13, 2009
    Why is it that noone ever asks the obvious questions?

This is -- allegedly -- the law:
    an assault weapon is defined as a semi-automatic rifle with the ability to accept a magazine carrying more than five rounds of ammunition and that must also have at least two [of the following] additional characteristics....
    a folding or telescoping stock,
    a protruding pistol grip,
    a bayonette [sic] mount,
    a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor,
    or a grenade launcher.

So... A rifle with a 20-round detachable mag and a pistol-grip is OK, AS LONG AS it doesn't have a bayo-lug?

Did I miss the nationwide EXPLOSION in drive-by bayonetting?

If it's mounted in a "sporter" stock, then the bayonet would be OK?

Are we REALLY scared of a grenade-spigot? I bet there isn't a single NY legislator who voted for this idiocy who could identify one if you handed it to 'em! Besides -- isn't it pretty well useless without matching grenades?

Or -= is a 30-round detachable mag *AND* a pistol-grip OK, but an adjustable stock - you know, so the shooter can have better control over his rifle - suddenly makes it a "murder-machine-bullet-hose"??!!

BTW -- **MY** bbls are threaded to accomodate blank-firing adapters. What is this "flash-hider" of which you speak??!!

;)

Do these people ever really THINK??!!

My favorite "example" is to show someone a "sporter" SKS -- one with the bayo removed. 99.9% of the time, they'll agree that it's "OK for 'civilians' to own."

Then I'll show 'em a picture of the exact same rifle - now mounted in a Tapco T6 stock, with a red-dot/laser/flashlight/bipod/etc and a nice LONG 30rounder mag that's been blocked down to 5. installed. Almost INSTANTLY, 99% of them will say "SEE! Now THAT is the sort of gun **NOBODY** NEEDS!!!"

The TRULY magic thing about this method is how it will INSTANTLY identify the educable -- and the utterly moronic.

The educable will give some serious consideration to what you just showed them -- that their fear and panic was over PURELY cosmetic features which have nothing to do with lethality.

The moronic will (a) declare *ALL* guns should be banned (b) change the subject and begin talking about AK-47s or (c) level virulent ad-hominem personal attacks at ME.

You can further winnow the "b" group - if so inclined - by repeating the experiment with a Saiga rifle and low-profile mag vs AK with pinned/blocked/low-cap mag. A few will prove themselves educable after a second example, but most will fall into "A" or "C."

If you need any more ammo for the fence-sitters, or those who try to save face by talking about "high-powered military weapons" or some such drivel, I often find it fun to then take them to the 30-30 lever-action -- and point out how (1) the 30-30 round is MORE powerful OK, slightly - but we're dealing with hoplophobes here...) than the SKS or AK and (2) the lever's mag-capacity is HIGHER than the (blocked) 5-rounder in the other rifles...

One can keep this up all day -- show them any old bolt-action deer-rifle -- preferably in a super-magnum caliber... Lay a 30-06 round next to the 7.62 or - for REAL fun - the .223...

In short, show them how stupid they are, and how little they know about guns. Don't just TELL Them they're only afraid of cosmetics, but SHOW them. Jam it right up there where the sun don't shine. Sideways!

Occasionally you might turn one of 'em around -- I've got a good dozen to my credit this way.

If nothing else, you get to have fun watching 'em melt-down!!

SB

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    That's pretty much how I feel. The incorrigible will remain so, but those that are vulnerable to it can be beaten with relentless logic.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    This is basically a case of malicious prosecution. The DA wants zero gun shops on Long Island, so she figured to go on a bender of throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks and wear out shop owners with 5 to 6 figure lawyer bills to drive them out of business. This is why we're working towards establishing a defense network to have lawyers in place to beat this kind of junk, but it looks like we got beat to the punch here. :(

Southern_Boy

Apr 13, 2009
    Oh, and PS: I don't think the dealer in the vid was telling the guy to break the law - he was pointing out how STUPID The law is!
    "See, these 2 rifles are identical - but if you remove this pin right here *NOW* you're in trouble! Is this stupid or what??!!"

Of course, to The Enemy, pointing out the idiocy of such laws is tantamount to violating them anyway -- their whole game-plan depends on ignorance, so any attempt to educate is subversive.

You! To the GULAG!!

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Oh there's absolutely corruption and a strong gun hating agenda. There's no doubt about that. It's basically identical segregationist era politics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom