• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    CC resident. Self-employed business owner. I will be there. Just need one day of heads up. Thank you for doing this Commissioner Rothschild. Will the hearing be in Westminster?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Depending on the day, I plan to attend (I'm on an alternating A/B schedule, and can't get away on 'A' days.)

gte

Feb 11, 2013
    I am also a CC resident and will be there. (this is a good opportunity for a first post!)

What are the other commissioners saying?

SigStephen

Feb 13, 2013
    Finksburg
    noobie here as a result of this post. been lurkin for a while but saw this and wanted to show my support. Please post details and ill do what I have to do.

Bono

Jan 8, 2013
    Not sure I would've shown this hand just yet. I would wait to see which bills are passed before doing this. Who's to say that someone doesn't catch wind of this and put something in the bill to prevent it? Just my 2 cents.

Shaggy

Feb 8, 2013
    Westminster
    Not sure I would've shown this hand just yet. I would wait to see which bills are passed before doing this. Who's to say that someone doesn't catch wind of this and put something in the bill to prevent it? Just my 2 cents.

I think the hope would be that doing this will help keep the bills from being
    passed. The best hope we have to keep our rights is to stop it from being
    passed, because once you give up a right, it's hard to get it back. I have
    little faith in the courts or putting it to a state wide vote. Just my $.02

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Maybe. The sheriff's office has taken over jurisdiction as the chief law enforcement officer for the county. So if he is on board with this then maybe we can get concealed carry at the county level.

Hey...it may be a pipe dream but it's a start.

We won't be able to, Frederick County tried to walk down this path.

I'm still 100% behind any action that Mr. Rothschild and the Sheriff are willing to take. Besides, if we can awake Carroll County freedom advocates, all the better.

Living in Montgomery County, the last thing that I want is is to lose State Pre-emption. There are Montgomery County Laws on the book that pre-emption rules as invalid, and I'd like them to stay that way. (page 226 - 228) For example: 1) no online purchases of ammunition, 2) ammo logs, etc. etc. etc.

Thankfully the ATF notes that these Montgomery County Laws are Invalid (State PreEmption):

[Publisher's note: This section was held to be invalid by the Court of Appeals in MontgomeryCounty, Maryland, et al. v. Atlantic Gunds,Inc., et al., 302 Md. 540, 489 A.2d 1114 (1985),and interpreted in Washington Suburban Sanitary
    Commission v. Elgin, 53 Md. App. 452, 454A.2d 408 (1983).]

That said, a grass roots effort to put pro-gun laws on the books could help to balance the ongoing misinformation and media biased 'opinion campaign' that the gun grabbers are currently promoting.:thumbsup:

I agree that we do not want the loss of State Preemption. Being able to carry in Carroll and Frederick would work well for me, but would not be fair to many others in this state. That said, the more resistance we give to O'Malley and the like the better.

My fear is this -- I want to make sure that we keep the gun-issue as non-partisan as possible. If this turns into Red Carroll County fighting against Blue Maryland in the political arena, then we may be screwing ourselves. If we turn this into a Civil Rights issue, we will be protecting ourselves. Rather than trying to 'overturn' or 'block' anything, we need to structure our actions into protecting Carroll County Law Enforcement Officers from being put in the awkward position of trying to enforce laws that they know go against their oaths.

Fact is, the only negative things I have ever heard in this county related to the Sheriff's department were related to speeding. (Contrast that to what I have heard regarding PGPD.) It seems to me that the Sheriff and his men are very well respected, and we can certainly use that to our advantage -- we aren't trying to fight the state, we are protecting our civil servants and our citizens.

Gentlemen and Ladies:

I share concerns about preemption, but there are a couple of points in our favor:

1. It is the people who are the Sovereigns, NOT the state.

2. Preemption presumes federal and state laws are constitutional. Suppose the president and governor instructed local officials to begin confiscation of all weapons immediately? What takes preemption... Federal & State laws or a local official's Oath to the Constitution? Would there be ANY question this is unconstitutional? This requires all local officials to begin reconciling the powers vested in them when they take their oaths. Will they obey unconstitutional laws, or defend the Constitution? Now is the time to decide.

3. Isn't it an irony that a jury of 12 can't take away the freedom of a petty shoplifter without a unanimous vote, but 9 appointed Supreme Court justices can (allegedly) permanently abort your Constitutional freedoms by a mere 5:4 vote? Doesn't a 5:4 vote on a grave constitutional matter imply by default that at least 4 justices are voting "unconstitutionally"? I have heard it said, "If the Supreme Court is the Supreme decider, all we will have is Supreme Tyranny."

4. Soon Obama will change the composition of the court. A new court will likely vote 5:4 to abort 2nd Amendment protections. This is why local officials MUST be prepared to nullify. Sure, there's no precedent and no instruction manual... BUT THERE'S ALSO NO CHOICE. Surrender is not an option. If there is no local nullification, there is no way for elected officials to uphold our oaths... Therefore our right to nullify must implicitly exist.

5. As an absolute minimum, I can pass a resolution prohibiting the use of any county resources or law enforcement resources to enforce a law deemed unconstitutional. For this reason alone, I deem a nullification act more than symbolic.

6. Federalist Paper #78: "No legislative act, therefore, contrary to the Constitution, can be valid. To deny this, would be to affirm, that the deputy is greater than his principal; that the servant is above his master; that the representatives of the people are superior to the people themselves; that men acting by virtue of powers, may do not only what their powers do not authorize, but what they forbid."

I will notify all of you when I am ready to proceed forward. If you wish, you may send your names and email addresses to me under the SUBJECT name of MDSHOOTERS and I will email each of you when I am ready.

Send to: rrothschild@ccg.carr.org

Thanks,
    Commissioner Richard Rothschild

I agree on all points -- especially because I fear that any gun related topics not sealed by Heller and McDonald will be exploited by an anti-gun Supreme Court.

I strongly believe that we need to make sure that the Sheriff is on-board with this if we want to make it work. I know Sheriff Tregoning is pro-freedom on paper, but we need to make sure that he is pro-freedom in action as well. (If he isn't, then we will have to find a challenger for the next election. Carroll County will rapidly replace anyone who is anti-gun.)

In closing -- give me a date and time and I'll be there. I may be able to get a few more young, well spoken, well dressed, and well educated Carroll County voters.

I thank the Commissioner and the Sheriff for their time and efforts. It is nice to see elected officials step up to the plate.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    anyone heard if this is still on...

I sent email to Commis. Rothschild yesterday
    but got no reply....

ricanmd

Dec 23, 2012
    Westminster MD
    How about this for a thought. I recently saw a red/blue map of maryland and it looked like 3 different states. Carroll and west all red. Baltimore county and south red/blue. Harford and east down to the eastern shore red. It looked like three diffeent states to me. How about we get a movement of the counties Carroll and west to succeed from Maryland. Let Miller, Bush and O'Malley have the state they want and we all get along with our lives and let them run what is left of Maryland into the ground. When the Feds can no longer support the bloated government they want from DC, let them eat the crumbs. Nullification not necessary, we let them have they cake and eat it.

Anyone in western MD think they need Annapolis to let them take advantage of the shale gas reserves that WVA and PA will pull from under them. Let me know Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom