• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

I'm working in NoVA for the first time in like 12 years, so I'm thinkin I need to start hittin the NRA Range again - sure beats sittin in the car at 5:15PM trying to get across the bridge with all of humanity after work... :sad20:

If I remember right, back in the day you had to take some kinda gun safety written test in a room just off the entrance for the range, and then they gave you a "range card" to use from then on... Do they still do that? If so, how much time do you need to budget to get the test done and wait in the typical 5PM after work queue to get a lane these days?

I work in Tysons, so I'll be doubling back to get there, and just want to know "how late" ahem ahem, I'll have to tell the wife I'll be coming home from work due to 'traffic'... :innocent0

TIA!

--JB

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It's rarely packed at 5PM on weekdays. That's when I usually shoot and never have had to wait to get a lane, or two. Don't take the highway to get from Tyson's to Fairfax (Jermantown Rd is a good choice). Back when I had to commute from MD to Fairfax, I'd always see 495 severely backed up in that direction while I was driving home.

The range test takes 5-15 minutes. If you already have your card, then you're good to go.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    It's rarely packed at 5PM on weekdays. That's when I usually shoot and never have had to wait to get a lane, or two. Don't take the highway to get from Tyson's to Fairfax (Jermantown Rd is a good choice). Back when I had to commute from MD to Fairfax, I'd always see 495 severely backed up in that direction while I was driving home.

The range test takes 5-15 minutes. If you already have your card, then you're good to go.

Thanks, I tried finding my old card but its long since gone... Yeah, I used to live in an apartment right off Jermantown Rd so I figured I'd take Rt123 up to there and go that back way. Still gonna be trafficky, but no where near as bad as 66. Appreciated the refresher!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I go on Monday's or Fridays.

get there first thing and usually no line. Not a great option for you working stiffs however.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    NRA range has gotten less crowded (ie more enjoyable) since the new "Elite" range opened in PWC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom