• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    And what are the prerequisites ?

You must be able to pass the NRA Basic Pistol exam and pass a 'hands-on' practical demonstration of firearm safety (loading/unloading a firearm) and a live fire practical.

See attachment for specifics.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You must be able to pass the NRA Basic Pistol exam and pass a 'hands-on' practical demonstration of firearm safety (loading/unloading a firearm) and a live fire practical.

Same here, I'm interested in getting NRA instructor certified.

I have a ton of experience and qualifications; MDSP Handgun Qual Course, IDPA SO, USSS Firearms Instructor Training Course; just to name a few. And I want to waste as little time as is absolutely necessary to get the NRA qualification.

Your response is excellent and appears to be the fastest way to go, thank you! Please keep me in mind if you offer this. I'm also interested in becoming NRA PDOTH instructor as well. Any opinions on the new Advanced Tactical Pistol course NRA is about to offer?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland

Ok so you do NOT have to have had the actual basic NRA pistol class, just be able to do everything inside the class prior to being able to take the instructor course, and obviously the BIT, correct?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    CORRECT!

As for the ADV Pistol Instructor cert, you have to apply to the NRA and be selected. For the most part you must have experience in offering defensive pistol classes, PPITH/PPOTH classes and proof of advanced training at other schools (like Thunder Ranch).

Colt Justice

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Unfortunately, I let my credentials lapse several years ago. I used to teach as part of a staff at Izaak Walton, B-CC. I miss teaching, and would love to get back into it again. What does it cost these days to get certified? I may go for it again.

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    The NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) and Basic Pistol Instructor course will be offered at Mayberry Game Protective Association (MGPA is 6 miles North of Westminster off RT 140) in September. The classes will be taught by Ben Kelkye. We will also have the BIT and Basic Rifle Instructor course at the end of October (24th, 25th and 26th).

The BIT is from 6:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on September 5th and 6th (Thursday and Friday) and the Basic Pistol Instructor class is from 8:00 a.m. to finish on Sunday, September 8th.

The cost is $85 for the Bit and $50 for the Basic Pistol Instructor class. Class size is limited. This course is going to be listed on the NRA Training website in the next couple of days.

I’m offering an opportunity to those interested students to take care of the pre-course qualifications (pre-course questionnaire, Basic Pistol test, handgun skills and shooting) at Noon on August 11th at MGPA.

Send me an email at blackbuick1941@yahoo.com for more info (registration form, copies of the pre-course qualification and the pre-course questionnaire).

Matt Guilfoyle
    President, Carroll County Sportmens Association
    Vice President, Mayberry Game Protective Association
    MD DNR Chief Hunter Safety Instructor
    Maryland Certified Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certifications: RSO; Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Unfortunately, I let my credentials lapse several years ago. I used to teach as part of a staff at Izaak Walton, B-CC. I miss teaching, and would love to get back into it again. What does it cost these days to get certified? I may go for it again.

Depending on the length of time that has lapsed, you may only have to pay a fee.

Colt Justice

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Depending on the length of time that has lapsed, you may only have to pay a fee.

It's been nearly 10 years now. I never should have let it lapse, but money was tight, and I wasn't teaching at the time, so ....

I inquired about it a couple of years ago, but was told I would have to retake it.

If you're making a list, add me to it. I'd like to get started with at least 1 credential and I can get more as time goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom