• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The NRA like many other civil rights organizations and makes it money off the people they are trying to help. In the end they never want to see what they are fighting for fully implemented. If 2a rights were fully respected and not trampled on the NRA would be out of a job. Donations and memberships would dwindle causing a serious loss of income. Who wants to put themselves out of a job?

That being said I don't agree with everything the NRA says and does but do agree that they are the lesser of 2 evils.

I have an even bigger problem with the GOA that likes to make things up in their press releases, Like calling NRA A+ rating Senators anti gun for example.

NRA does do some other things besides lobbying and asking members for money.

NRA provides education and instruction in the use of firearms. Provides the organization and structure for competition. Provide training assistance and guidance to law enforcement, CMP and youth groups. Provides hunter education. Support wilderness conservation and wildlife management. Promotes citizenship and fellowship in our society.

The NRA membership has helped to support and defend not just the 2A but all of our rights ennumerated in the BOR and Constitution. To avoid being repretative, just go back and read my other posts in this thread from the dead (Zombie Thread??)

The NRA is more than just the ILA but in these trying times, the ILA is the tip of the spear as we struggle to keep our way of life and the ability to pass it down to our children.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    The NRA is more than just the ILA but in these trying times, the ILA is the tip of the spear as we struggle to keep our way of life and the ability to pass it down to our children.

+1

If there is such a thing, the NRA is the "official" national 2A organization endorsed by Maryland Shooters. People can make all the claims they want about the NRA, but the reality is that they are the ONLY effective 2A org in DC. I was educated about the various 2A lobbyist groups by my sister when she worked for Congressman Roy Blunt, the Majority Whip at the time. The GOA and others like them carry ZERO weight in DC. They are incapable of accomplishing anything due to their reputation as fools. While I don't think they are fools, they definitely do not know how to play the game. And while honorable, that accomplishes nothing. The NRA is on our side at the national level, and it would be very wise to support them. If not for them, we would be in a MUCH worse situation right now.

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The NRA like many other civil rights organizations and makes it money off the people they are trying to help. In the end they never want to see what they are fighting for fully implemented. If 2a rights were fully respected and not trampled on the NRA would be out of a job. Donations and memberships would dwindle causing a serious loss of income. Who wants to put themselves out of a job?

Do you seriously think that if all of the firearms laws were repealed overnight that the dark side wouldn't be up the next morning wailing about how evil guns are and how easy it is to get them?

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Do you seriously think that if all of the firearms laws were repealed overnight that the dark side wouldn't be up the next morning wailing about how evil guns are and how easy it is to get them?

Never said that. Only my belief that they aren't going to cut their own throats. Its the same as why Doctors only treat but not cure. If you were never sick, you would never need a doctor.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    Never said that. Only my belief that they aren't going to cut their own throats. Its the same as why Doctors only treat but not cure. If you were never sick, you would never need a doctor.

Not's not a good comparison. People need doctors, even when they're not sick. Think "injuries," for example.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Never said you said it, it was a question. My point is that they have to know also that if the NRA got everything on their wish list there would still be opposition out there to fight year after year.

And I'm not so cynical about doctors, either.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    The NRA isn't perfect, but they are as strong as lobbying groups get, they get a lot of crap for "supporting" gun legislation, but usually only after watering it down to the point where it effectively does nothing.

I'm not an NRA member personally, but I am glad they exist.

... I agree with you but I am a member

It's the best thing we have going. Other gun groups, while they may be on "our side" all the time, have 0 pull in DC

You should join

BusDriver

Livin the hillbilly dream
    Feb 28, 2007
    The Hill Country
    Politics is the art of compromise and the NRA plays it well . Is it good or bad ? One thing about the GOA and the JPFO they call a spade a spade and that doesn't ring well with the pompous crowd in DC .

jjboxman

Nov 18, 2008
    Pa & Md
    I wrote a huge long post out, but lost it. In short, I think the NRA has the right idea, and is the only one who's really done anything substantial for gun owners. The GOA and JPFO are more ideologically pure, but they're basically ineffective. I believe it's because they won't bend.

In our current climate, I don't believe you can win by simply stamping your feet and declaring "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". What you can do is try to limit the damage your enemy is doing to you, and attempt to change the popular perception so that eventually, it will simply be common sense that you're right. I think that's the right, if slow, way to do it.

The NRA's fundraising tactics do bother me, though.

Edit: Also, the way the GOA tears into the NRA just seems...shortsighted to me.
    +1

jjboxman

Nov 18, 2008
    Pa & Md
    ... I agree with you but I am a member

It's the best thing we have going. Other gun groups, while they may be on "our side" all the time, have 0 pull in DC

You should join
    If every gun owner joined the NRA it would have much better impact on the congress. I am a life member.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    +1

If there is such a thing, the NRA is the "official" national 2A organization endorsed by Maryland Shooters. People can make all the claims they want about the NRA, but the reality is that they are the ONLY effective 2A org in DC. I was educated about the various 2A lobbyist groups by my sister when she worked for Congressman Roy Blunt, the Majority Whip at the time. The GOA and others like them carry ZERO weight in DC. They are incapable of accomplishing anything due to their reputation as fools. While I don't think they are fools, they definitely do not know how to play the game. And while honorable, that accomplishes nothing. The NRA is on our side at the national level, and it would be very wise to support them. If not for them, we would be in a MUCH worse situation right now.

Thank you. I'm sincerely gratfull that our MSI leadership has their
    heads screwed on correctly. :patriot:
    :thumbsup:

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Not's not a good comparison. People need doctors, even when they're not sick. Think "injuries," for example.

Another good one. If they invented a pill today that would end cavities. You would not find a Dentist tomorrow that would prescribe it.

Just making points that the NRA has its own agenda that isn't 100% in us gun owners interest. But thats with any "rights" organization. Want a good example? Obama being elected President was one of the worst things that could have happened to people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. It makes it harder for them to scream racism, discrimination and that African Americans are being held down.

See my signature below. I am a NRA life member. So I'm not flat out against them. Only pointing out they they do limit what they fight for in order to keep the money flowing. But what other option do we have?

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    holy crap, this thread is still going for some reason?

Cause people keep posting in it.... :innocent0

Is it not also true that all monies collected by the NRA are set aside and only the interest/profit they make off said monies can be used? Or did I misunderstand somewhere along the line?

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Cause people keep posting in it.... :innocent0

Is it not also true that all monies collected by the NRA are set aside and only the interest/profit they make off said monies can be used? Or did I misunderstand somewhere along the line?

It is understood that yes they use the money for other purposes as well. But if the 2a issues went away they would be half the organization they are today. Like it or not the NRA is still a business. If you ran a business would you like to see half your income go away? That has been part of the point I have been making. Our best interest is not always being looked after.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It is understood that yes they use the money for other purposes as well. But if the 2a issues went away they would be half the organization they are today. Like it or not the NRA is still a business. If you ran a business would you like to see half your income go away? That has been part of the point I have been making. Our best interest is not always being looked after.

Maybe if the NRA did not have to spend money on 2A issues then could spend money on....

New Ranges like Whittington Center all around the country
    Provide more Matches and Competitions for youth, civilians, LEOs and our military and veterans.
    Improve and Expand the Firearms Education and Training Programs.
    Improve and Expand the Hunter Safety
    Provide Eddie Eagle to every student and classroom in this country
    Exanded their work with the Wounded Warrior Project.
    Provide Better support to our Olympic, Collegiate and Scholastic Shooting Programs.
    Better Support to the BSA and 4H programs

You know,you're right, in the NRA's 138 year history, they were never really active until all these 2A issues arose because they weren't making a profit on just promoting shooting sports and marksmanship.

The NRA is not a business, it is an association of marksmen, hunters, collectors and enthusiast. Membership is voluntary and all members with 5 year memberships and above get to vote for the Board of Directors and Officers.

We had this controversy on the 80s when Neal Knox and associates like Larry Pratt tried to make the NRA more like the GOA and take an all or nothing stance. The members voted Knox and his slate down. The members elected a new president that embodied the stance that was right for the NRA. That NRA President was Charlton Heston.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    +1

I think all the folks who have been posting negative thing about the NRA should read DD214's post over again. Part of Politics like it or not is compromise, the NRA does what they can with the members they have. If the other 90% of gun owners would join up maybe they could have stopped all bad legislation. Another thing, what the hell good is it by stamping your fee touting "no compromise" when you have no impact? I don't like telling people what to think but all this self defeating bs I'm hearing on this thread really makes my blood boil. Every time you spread some lie about the NRA the likes of schumer and feinstein smile. Think about who you are really serving. Either join up and get involved or say nothing. rant off

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    organized_mayhem originally posted - "Another good one. If they invented a pill today that would end cavities. You would not find a Dentist tomorrow that would prescribe it." (I somehow managed to screw up the quote button)

I doubt that. You could find a dentist prescribing that pill because he would be the only one doing it and he would quickly become a gazillionaire. Then all the other dentists would jump on the cavity pill bandwagon because they would make more money doing that than filling cavities because the competition would be less. Then, once all the dentists have cured all cavities with the magical pill, they'll start specializing in cosmetic, elective procedures or some other such thing.

The point being, if the NRA is a well run organization/business, (and I think it is) it will find a way to make money and keep on keeping on. If they get all the gun laws fixed tomorrow, my guess is they will jump into some other part of their business more fully. Companies do that all the time. Look at the high tech industry. Companies like Microsoft make products that go obsolete at the drop of a hat and then, if they are good companies, they inovate and move into other areas or improve other technologies. IBM, for example, worked themselves out of the PC business, but they are still around now and have an entirely different focus and business model than they had a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom