• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Just sold our last 2 spots on our last NRA Basic Pistol Course. It's a bummer because I believe it offers so much to a new shooter and even experienced ones.
    We are evaluating if we will work with the new format. I am leaning toward no.

We are thinking the same think. Have a basic pistol class that is not NRA like some of our advanced pistol classes past ppoh.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Seems in our state it is the way they want us to go. HQL = first steps or basic pistol, wear and carry = PPOTH.

I wish the "one shot" was taken from the HQL class and it could truly be a class for new shooters who don't own a gun yet. Then a HQL vol.II for present gun owners could be developed.

But there I go thinking again........"....

TD

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Seems in our state it is the way they want us to go. HQL = first steps or basic pistol, wear and carry = PPOTH.

I wish the "one shot" was taken from the HQL class and it could truly be a class for new shooters who don't own a gun yet. Then a HQL vol.II for present gun owners could be developed.

But there I go thinking again........"....

TD

You can always let them shoot more than one shot. That was the minimum in the beginning.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    personally i require a minimum of 15 rounds, five-reload-10, if using a semiautomatic, and at least two reloads with a revolver. this helps them understand slide-lock and reload, or proper reloading of the wheel gun. the one round really serves no interest in the name of safety or proficiency/understanding in what is required in proper pistol manipulation techniques.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I hope I am misunderstanding which class you are referring to. One round in the specified target is THE LAW for HQL. Requiring more would be the same as requiring students to recite the entire Constitution or to cloverleaf a dozen rounds from 50 yards.

For HQL you can ask or let students fire more rounds, but you cannot REQUIRE it.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    I hope I am misunderstanding which class you are referring to. One round in the specified target is THE LAW for HQL. Requiring more would be the same as requiring students to recite the entire Constitution or to cloverleaf a dozen rounds from 50 yards.

For HQL you can ask or let students fire more rounds, but you cannot REQUIRE it.

ah, good observation, yet if i am supplying the ammo, it is usually a done deal, no law required and they ask if they can shoot more.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I have yet to meet a student who shoots one round and is done. Every one has wanted to shoot as many rounds as possible. Which I consider mission accomplished!

Last edited:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I teach my HQL along the same lines as Woodstock. I have the HQL students use a Ruger Single Six for 12 rounds, a Charter Arms Pathfinder with 12 shots in single action mode/12 shots in double action, and either a Ruger Mark II or SR22 for 20 rounds (mag change). If they want to do more, I let them shoot any of 9mm (Ruger, Glock, Beretta).

I tell them in the classroom and at the range that they only need to fire one shot. As others have stated, I rarely find a student who only wants to fire the one shot, especially since it is my ammo.

I think this gives the student a taste for the basic pistol actions and a tease to move to centerfire.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Just did my first NRA blended learning phase two training. Got the same amount as I did for the old class so that wasn't a problem. The 5 hour time limit might be off but this was my first and it took 7 hours. The four phase qualification took some time. Had some good shooters that went all the way to the instructor certification though none passed that. Anyone else have the same time results as far as time or any other challenges.

RS

tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    Phase II experience

When I took Phase II several months ago, it was specifically to check the block to get me into the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Class. I was the only student in my Phase II class and didn't take long at all - even with the range time factored in. If it was a new shooter, I can see how it may take quite awhile to administer Phase II.

After my NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certification, I offered the NRA Basic Pistol Phase II on the NRA training site (White Marsh area), but I didn't get any takers. I became busy as an independent HQL instructor, so the NRA course took a back seat. I would give it if someone asked though and I push the course to my students at the end of HQL training.

I would like to see the entire course go back to face-to-face though.

tj

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    if enough of us contacted the NRA training department, i think we'd wake some folks up in terms of going back to face to face, just my hope.

When I took Phase II several months ago, it was specifically to check the block to get me into the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Class. I was the only student in my Phase II class and didn't take long at all - even with the range time factored in. If it was a new shooter, I can see how it may take quite awhile to administer Phase II.

After my NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certification, I offered the NRA Basic Pistol Phase II on the NRA training site (White Marsh area), but I didn't get any takers. I became busy as an independent HQL instructor, so the NRA course took a back seat. I would give it if someone asked though and I push the course to my students at the end of HQL training.

I would like to see the entire course go back to face-to-face though.

tj

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    I have HQL and am taking CCW class in few weeks. Is it worth the extra $250 plus online $60 for instructor? Also, (insert dumb question) does this class allow you to teach basic pistol practices or teach a NRA Pistol Instructor class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    if enough of us contacted the NRA training department, i think we'd wake some folks up in terms of going back to face to face, just my hope.

For those of us who attended the last three NRA Annual Meetings and the Instructors Update sessions, the NRA is firm about moving forward with blended learning.

As many of the folks on the forum have noted, there are other formats and curriculums available for face to face classes. In fact, John Howard of the NRA actually stated that if any NRA instructor wanted to offer other classes they are free to do so. They just cannot advertise them as NRA sponsored. In short, if you are going to offer a NRA Basic Pistol class, you will need to follow the NRA guidelines and procedures.

As I stated earlier, do not be surprised if the next blended learning class will be Basic Rifle.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Taking the Basic Pistol course does not allow you to become an instructor. You have to ALSO take the course for instructors.

Thanks for the reply. Im aware the basic pistol does not qualify you as an instructor but it is a prerequisite to complete prior to the NRA Instructor course.

tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

NRA Basic Pistol Phase I (online) is a prerequisite. I took the Phase II (in person) class, but I understand some instructors will incorporate Phase II into the Basic Instruction Training (BIT) and Basic Pistol Instructor Class.

So, my answer is Phase I is a prerequisite, Phase II is a Prerequisite unless incorporated into the BIT and Basic Pistol Class.

Also, I have to mention there is a shooting qualification prerequisite also. Have to get 16 of 20 shots into a 6 inch circle from 15 yards. Any handgun, any caliber.

tj

Thanks for the reply. Im aware the basic pistol does not qualify you as an instructor but it is a prerequisite to complete prior to the NRA Instructor course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom