• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My review of the NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) and Basic Pistol Instructor Course; from this past week.

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): Do it.

Me: I'm a seasoned instructor with approximately two decades of experience training LEO's and military Special Agents on handguns and tactics as an additional duty; and have taught dozens of civilians in private sessions.

BIT:

Prequalification: There is a pre-course qualification test. This is intended to be taken after one passes the Pistol Shooting Course Student Exam; generally you must be a graduate of the Basic Pistol Course and have demonstrated potential to be an NRA instructor. There are a few qualifications that will exclude you from having to take the test and demonstrate on the range. Mine was sufficient IDPA competency, and I believe it helped that I was an IDPA Safety Officer (that test is much harder than the NRA tests).

NRA Registration: We were told it would cost an additional fee to the NRA to complete our NRA certification, that required an NRA account and additional $30 fee for two years (argggg). So for the rest of my life (current rules as I understand them) I must conduct at least one NRA training course, and post to the NRA who my student(s) is (name, age, address, phone number). I'm informed that this can be relatively informal training as long as its in following of the (excellent) NRA guidelines and I must pay the NRA a maintenance fee ($20? $30?) every two years.

We received several excellent handouts, including how to navigate the NRA instructors portion of the website, right & left handed shooter target diagnostic charts; both instructor and student NRA packets. The packets included an excellent manual, course material, instructors CD, a mini poster, etc. We were encouraged to buy other instructor materials from the NRA, as well as dummy guns and other training aids. You honestly have everything you really need, minus an actual pistol to teach the entire course.

Some bullets from the first 25% of the BIT course:

- Always start or end every class with an overview of 'What is the NRA'.
    - The NRA emphasizes being honest, and maintaining integrity.
    - Use video's (YouTube is ok, although we didn't use it in my class) or any other training aid as needed. Lot's of flexibility.
    - NRA instructors are not employees of the NRA, and do not represent the NRA.
    - Certified Instructors teach the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for the safe and proficient handling of firearms.
    - To be an instructor you must be safe, competent, and experienced before attending the NRA instructor courses.
    - There are six (6) NRA Discipline Groups: Pistol, Personal Protection, Rifle, Shotgun, Range Safety Officer, Reloading.
    - NRA has certified Instructors, Assistant Instructors, and Apprentices'.
    - NRA Training Counselor's are appointed. Must have two years of NRA teaching experience, attend the NRA workshop and be a member of the NRA. NRA counselors are automatically Chief Range Safety Officers (CRSO).
    -Training teams are recommended, because each team benefits from the talents of other team members.
    - Air gun or airsoft are good for training, but actual firing a real firearm normally is necessary where required to qualify.
    - As an Instructor the NRA will pay you $10 for every new member you recruit, and $5 for every renewal.
    - NRA puts an emphasis on 'learning by doing', what they call Total Participant Involvement (TPI). This is the same leaning approach of the US military; I totally dig it.
    - Physical contact with students is ok to correct their position, ask them first; and the big obvious exception is if there is a major safety violation. Our instructor demonstrated an excellent way to stand and address this possibility, both in the classroom and on the live fire range.

Hope some of this was helpful to you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My review of the NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) and Basic Pistol Instructor Course; from this past week.

Me: I'm a seasoned instructor with approximately two decades of experience training LEO's and military Special Agents on handguns and tactics as an additional duty; and have taught dozens of civilians in private sessions.

BIT:

Prequalification: There is a pre-course qualification test. This is intended to be taken after one passes the Pistol Shooting Course Student Exam; generally you must be a graduate of the Basic Pistol Course and have demonstrated potential to be an NRA instructor. There are a few qualifications that will exclude you from having to take the test and demonstrate on the range. Mine was sufficient IDPA competency, and I believe it helped that I was an IDPA Safety Officer (that test is much harder than the NRA tests).

NRA Registration: We were told it would cost an additional fee to the NRA to complete our NRA certification, that required an NRA account and additional $30 fee for two years (argggg). So for the rest of my life (current rules as I understand them) I must conduct at least one NRA training course, and post to the NRA who my student(s) is (name, age, address, phone number). I'm informed that this can be relatively informal training as long as its in following of the (excellent) NRA guidelines and I must pay the NRA a maintenance fee ($20? $30?) every two years.

We received several excellent handouts, including how to navigate the NRA instructors portion of the website, right & left handed shooter target diagnostic charts; both instructor and student NRA packets. The packets included an excellent manual, course material, instructors CD, a mini poster, etc. We were encouraged to buy other instructor materials from the NRA, as well as dummy guns and other training aids. You honestly have everything you really need, minus an actual pistol to teach the entire course.

- Use video's (YouTube is ok, although we didn't use it in my class) or any other training aid as needed. Lot's of flexibility.
    - Certified Instructors teach the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for the safe and proficient handling of firearms.
    - To be an instructor you must be safe, competent, and experienced before attending the NRA instructor courses.
    - There are six (6) NRA Discipline Groups: Pistol, Personal Protection, Rifle, Shotgun, Range Safety Officer, Reloading.
    - NRA Training Counselor's are appointed. Must have two years of NRA teaching experience, attend the NRA workshop and be a member of the NRA. NRA counselors are automatically Chief Range Safety Officers (CRSO).
    -Training teams are recommended, because each team benefits from the talents of other team members.
    - Air gun or airsoft are good for training, but actual firing a real firearm normally is necessary where required to qualify.
    - As an Instructor the NRA will pay you $10 for every new member you recruit, and $5 for every renewal.
    - NRA puts an emphasis on 'learning by doing', what they call Total Participant Involvement (TPI). This is the same leaning approach of the US military; I totally dig it.
    - Physical contact with students is ok to correct their position, ask them first; and the big obvious exception is if there is a major safety violation. Our instructor demonstrated an excellent way to stand and address this possibility, both in the classroom and on the live fire range.

what garment are you sewing your patch on?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    11519187_614.jpg

In all seriousness, I do own this apron, it was given to me by an agent as a gag gift.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    11519187_614.jpg

In all seriousness, I do own this apron, it was given to me by an agent as a gag gift.

(Let's give the NRA a chance, I'm trying to help them; help me - help them?)

I say this because I know you have a more intimate reason to take the course. Most others, a patch.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Prob took the course to meet gun chicks.

That's hot :)

I just like ribbing him. We have a good time. I know he will run with his fresh knowledge and use it well. I am sure there are many who take the course to just take it. But if someone doesn't use it for what it was meant for, then that is a waste.
    I am going to try and squeeze this course in too at some point. I'll probably let my favorite bar put the patch on their wall with all the old license plates and knick knacks :)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    ... I'll probably let my favorite bar put the patch on their wall with all the old license plates and knick knacks :)

Did they give a patch at one time? I guess they have a patch I could pay for, I'm not a patch wearing kind of guy, nor was our instructor. I had to print my own certificate and instructor card from home. We talked about us printing student certificates and how tightly controlled they are, and if you mess one up you have to mail it back to the NRA with a letter explaining what happened and a check to have them mail you another. But oddly, I got no patch, card or certificate. I did have to log into the NRA instructors website where instead of receiving a greeting or congratulations for becoming NRA's newest instructor, I received a bill for $30, the final hidden fee to become an instructor. We were told we would have to pay this fee every two years for the rest of our lives (or until they decide to change it, or revoke our status for any reason at any time).

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should buy some instructor swag, would be a great conversation starter. Their training is good, and certainly the most recognized in America.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

BIT:

Just for clarification:

1.) As an NRA recuiter, you can elect to be paid $10.00 for each new member you recruit and $5.00 for each renewal. You do not have to be an NRA instructor to be a recruiter. A recruiter must be an NRA member but an instructor does not.

2.) NRA Training counselors must also be able to demonstrate they have taught a minimum of 25 students (as well as some other criteria). They also must attend a Training Counselor Workshop offered by the NRA Training Department.

3.) Training aids are available from a varuety of sources besides the NRA. Some of the aids require the instructor to think 'outside the box' in order to relate familiar everyday concepts to ones that are relevant to firearms.

I enjoyed teaching the class. My only regret is that we did not have any volunteers for 'students' when we conducted the range portion of the class.

For the record, I do not issue patches for my classes. In fact, none of the TC's or instructors I had in the past did either. As I tell my instructor classes, issuing patches/hats/pins are strictly up to the person giving the class. Some of us rarely wear patches or hats shwoing our NRA "status", whether it be Life Member, Instructor, or Training Counselor. Again, it is a personal preference.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    When is your next course? I would like to get the pistol course for my BSA work.
    I already have rifle, shotgun, and RSO. I assume I will not need BIT again.
    Any difference in price? I ask because the troop usually covers it.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    When is your next course? I would like to get the pistol course for my BSA work.
    I already have rifle, shotgun, and RSO. I assume I will not need BIT again.
    Any difference in price? I ask because the troop usually covers it.

I will not be offering a Pistol class until August or September.

I believe that IWLA is offering one next month or in July (see MDS postings) or contact CypherPunk for more details.

As for the BIT, it is strictly up to the TC giving the course. Some require that the every student takes the BIT. Some waive the BIT if you can prove you are an active instructor. Others will waive it if you have taken the BIT within the last year.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good info, thanks Mike.

I agree, most of us wouldn't know what to do with a patch, ha! I probably will spring for an instructor jersey or polo. As much as I may have complained about the NRA prices; they do have some pretty good deals/discounts for instructors, and the value for the training I received was excellent - no complaints there.

If possible, I would be interested in taking the PITH/PPOTH instructor course if one were offered. I'd like it to include the 'advanced' portion; and understand there aren't a lot of places where we can do this, but I might be able to pull some strings and find us a location if someone can do the class. Let's talk offline Mike.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Offering another NRA Pistol Instructor class in September!

NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor Course

When:
    Monday 09/08/2014 6:00PM-10:00PM Basic Instructor Training (Part 1)
    Friday 09/12/2014 6:00PM-10:00PM Basic Instructor Training (Part 2)
    Sunday 09/14/2014 8:30AM- 7:00PM Pistol Instructor Training/Range Time

Where:

Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore
    11518 Marriottsville Road
    Marriottsville, MD 21104

Cost: $ 250.00 (non-MDS)/$200.00 (MDS)
    Deposit: $ 100.00

This class teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for becoming an NRA Pistol Instructor.

This course includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s Basic Instructor Training, the NRA rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and focus on total personal involvement in training new pistol shooters.

Pre-registration & deposit is required. You must attend all sessions and pass all tests in order to pass.

BIT 09/08/2014 6PM-10PM & 09/12/2014 6PM-10PM
    Instructor Class 09/14/24/2014 8:30AM-7:00PM

Written Pre-qualification packet will be mailed/e-mailed and you must arrange time for range pre-qualification.

Register on-line at:
    http://www.nrainstructors.org/SignupStudent.aspx?id=269802

Mail deposit to:

B&S Personal Safety & Firearms Education
    NRA BPI 091414
    P.O. Box 501
    Owings Mills, MD 21117-0501

Registration and deposit must be received by 09/07/2014. Call (443-629-0311)or e-mail
    (mcbruzdzinski@bspsafe.com) if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom